Psychedelic Reccommendations
Apr 17, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #31 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by gratefulshrink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and don't forget Twink's "Think Pink":
(from allmusic)
As far as overlooked geniuses of the U.K. psychedelic underground go, the man known as Twink certainly belongs on the shelf alongside Kevin Ayers, Kevin Coyne, Syd Barrett, and Robert Wyatt. As drummer for the Pretty Things and, later, the Deviants, as well as being one-half of Shagrat with Steve Peregrin Took, Twink was integral in the creation of some of the U.K. psychedelic underground's most brilliant artifacts. His Think Pink session contains the classic Twink tracks "The Sparrow Is a Sign" and "The Coming of the Other One," which were cut with Steve Peregrin Took of Tyrannosaurus Rex fame. Incidentally, both tracks appear on the Shagrat album that was only officially released in 2001: Pink Jackets Required, which plays the sister album to the Twink solo outing in question. Think Pink is an incredibly varied album with no two songs resembling each other, but then one assumes an acid masterpiece like "Ten Thousand Words in a Cardboard Box" will stay on high rotation for at least a week on the stereos of most psychedelia fans, so overall album flow may not be such an issue. This is pure psychedelic acid rock of the highest order. If one can imagine a fusion of the Incredible String Band, Deviants, early Pink Floyd, and a fair dose of Twink's heredity as a member of Tomorrow and the Pretty Things, you get an idea of what he was up to. Not known for doing things in halves, he shows little restraint in the assembly of a group designed to tear the roof of the psychedelic scene. The band was made up of the Deviants guitarist Paul Rudolph — the U.K. equivalent of Fred "Sonic" Smith — who provides the most astonishing fuzz freak-outs and arrangements on the album. Other players included Viv Prince; Wally Waller; John Povey; Victor Unitt; Deviants bassist Honk; John Wood of Tomorrow; and, of course, the not-to-be underestimated contributions from Steve Peregrin Took. Regardless of the connotations the term "psychedelic" carries with it, it's not all Pink Fairies and Tolkien. Things get ominous and dark on "Fluid" and "I Remember Nothing"; then, by the first half of the album, the mind is expanded enough to take in side two, where the presence of Steve Took really starts to come into play. His brilliant "The Sparrow Is a Sign" is a psychedelic anthem that is worth acquiring the album for alone. Essential stuff, not to be missed by those following the U.K. underground psychedelic scene circa 1968-1972.

Some good stuff there. I haven't seen Twink for a while, but from all accounts he's still an intimidating presence... if he say's it's friday, it's friday
wink.gif
Certainly until very recently he was still out and about doing his stuff at various venues with various friends, often Hawkwind personell and under band names like Pinkwind or Hawkfairies. The Labroke Grove lot never really drifted too far away from eachother.
cheers,
Andy

Apr 17, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #32 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by DDF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awesome list. The Pink Faries were a great hard rock crossover into psych. I always considered them one of the seeds into punk (on acid, of course). Check out "Live at The Roundhouse", a really good reuinion LP (unlike their reuinion in the 80s). It has my favorite version of Uncle Hairy's Last Freakout, a brilliant bit of tongue in cheeck guitar god-ness.

Yep, apparantly a certain Mr Lydon said the Fairies were one of his favourite pre-punk bands. Although where-as the Sex Pistols just sung about anarchy, the likes of the Deviants were actually out there doing it for real.

I've got Live at the Roundhouse up on the shelf... but to me, those live Glastonbury tracks are the pinnacle, not hi-fi but the awesome delivery of 'Do It' still send shivers down my spine.
You'll also find a hefty chunk of 'Uncle Harry's' on the Deviant's 'Billy the Monster'... then again, they're effectively the same band anyway.

Again, the undervalued Fairies could do anything as heavy as Motorhead managed later... 'The Snake' at full volume is as good a 'neighbour shaker' as anything recorded.

cheers,
Andy

Apr 17, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #33 of 45
Jefferson Airplane - Jefferson Airplane Takes Off, Surrealistic Pillow

Love - Forever Changes

Grateful Dead - The Grateful Dead, Anthem Of The Sun, Aoxomoxoa

Various Artists - Nuggets: Original Artyfacts From The First Psychedelic Era 1965-1968

Small Faces - Ogden's Nut Gone Flake

The Amboy Dukes - Journey To The Center Of The Mind

Spirit - Twelve Dreams Of Dr. Sardonicus

Apr 18, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #34 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pink Fairy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, apparantly a certain Mr Lydon said the Fairies were one of his favourite pre-punk bands. Although where-as the Sex Pistols just sung about anarchy, the likes of the Deviants were actually out there doing it for real.

I've got Live at the Roundhouse up on the shelf... but to me, those live Glastonbury tracks are the pinnacle, not hi-fi but the awesome delivery of 'Do It' still send shivers down my spine.
You'll also find a hefty chunk of 'Uncle Harry's' on the Deviant's 'Billy the Monster'... then again, they're effectively the same band anyway.

Again, the undervalued Fairies could do anything as heavy as Motorhead managed later... 'The Snake' at full volume is as good a 'neighbour shaker' as anything recorded.

cheers,
Andy

To square the circle and make it official, the Rollins Band early LP "Do It" is probably still their best to date, and not in small measure thanks to the fairies cover. Ian MacKaye as LP producer, and its hard to fault the Fairies influence on the punk scene. Back in the early 80s when I was going to spiky heaired concerts every weekend, my best friend almost make it a point to wear his self-made Pink fairies shirt to most every gig. Even Motorhead covered "City Kids" on Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers. I agree, the Fairies were one hugely undervalued band.

Thanks again, the Glastonbury tracks are on the to-find list.

Apr 18, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #35 of 45
You might want to give The Coral a try, fairly recent stuff that tries to bring back that old Pink Floyd sound. They have some merit, not really my cup of tea, but for a bunch of talented youngsters they do a good job of it. What I would recommend for psychedelic is more something like Acid Mothers Temple or The Olivia Tremor Control or perhaps even Dead Meadow...

Apr 18, 2007 at 12:35 PM Post #38 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lobotomy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, Television are great, and I'm aware that nothing's going to sound exactly like Syd era floyd, but I'm just looking for somewhat similar stuff.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

well, if Television is fair game for a conversation on psychedelic music, then I would HIGHLY and HEARTILY recommend Robyn Hitch****'s late 70s outfit, The Soft Boys.

They were Britain's answer to Television, with brilliant dual guitar work... but dipping much deeper into the psychedelic trough.

check out their masterpiece, Underwater Moonlight.

Apr 20, 2007 at 4:19 AM Post #41 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by carlosgp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Early Grateful Dead, specially before axomoxoa. Anthem of the Sun is a good example.

Live Dead

Apr 20, 2007 at 2:46 PM Post #43 of 45
ALIENCD44CoverRGB.jpg

Also:

Arzachel
Les Fleur de Lys
Christine 23 Onna
White Noise
Residual Echoes

Apr 20, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #44 of 45
^^ glad someone suggested Acid Mother's Temple. They have released at least 20 or 30 albums in the past 8 years and are a true force of nature, leading the Japanese freak-rock scene. Ghost is also a good choice for psychedelic rock out of Japan, and they are much tamer than AMT.

...and don't forget the Boredoms.

Apr 20, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #45 of 45
ooh... another good one that's not textbook psychedelic, but fits in the rather broad range we seem to be discussing:

Can -- Future Days

Users who are viewing this thread

Back