Psychedelic Reccommendations
Apr 12, 2007 at 12:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

Lobotomy

Head-Fier
OK, so lately I've been really enjoying Pink Floyd's 'The Piper at The Gates of Dawn' and their early singles. Can anyone recommend any albums/artists with a similar sound to this?

Any help is appreciated!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 12, 2007 at 3:56 AM Post #4 of 45
Lowfront, you are my new best friend. Donovan is a borderline obsession for me.

Lobotomy, if you do intend to jump into Donovan, especially if you're looking to keep with the psychedelic (but don't want a compilation), may I suggest you start with one or both of the following:

From a Flower to a Garden
Barabajagal

Nothing will really sound LIKE Pink Floyd, but psychedelic music has a deep history across roughly a decade (65-75). Here are some favourites:

Eric Burdon & The Animals
Procol Harum
King Crimson (early period)
The Beatles (later period)
Cream
Genesis (early period)
Jefferson Airplane
Jimi Hendrix
Moody Blues
Traffic

If you wanted to get a sample of some more obscure psychedelia, the Nuggets collections come highly recommended, although I can only speak for volume one.

Apr 12, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #5 of 45
well, obviously, you should check out the Syd Barrett 'solo' albums...really great if you like Piper, Saucerful of Secrets, and the Syd-influenced early Pink Floyd stuff. David Gilmour helped him out on guitar and arrangements on some of these releases and the John Peel sessions. Lo-fi and slightly scary but tripped out and gorgeous.

Apr 12, 2007 at 9:01 AM Post #7 of 45
Jefferson Airplane

If your feeling adventurous: Nebula-it can get kinda heavy

Apr 12, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #8 of 45
You may also like early Porcupine Tree, the albums On The Sunday Of Life and Up The Downstairs in particular.

And you may also like The Spacious Mind, its like a Hawkwind/Pink Floyd mix, lovely stuff. They're a obscure band though, unfortunately.

Apr 12, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #9 of 45
Although not exactly like Pink Floyd, little is, here are some suggestions from someone old enough to have lived it:

Country Joe and the Fish - Electric Music for Mind and Body
Emerson, Lake and Palmer - ELP, Tarkus
Hawkwind - Space Ritual
Yes - Fragile, Close to the Edge

Apr 12, 2007 at 8:26 PM Post #10 of 45
LOVE BARABAJANGAL, but the most psychedelic of donovan leitch's lps is Sunshine Superman. It is also some of the first psychedelic stuff recorded along with moments to be found on the Beatle's Revolver.
day in the life on sgt pepper. pre tommy who has its psych moments. electric music for the mind and body as recommended. steve miller band sailor and brave new world. hendrix experience albums. cream disraelli gears. moody blues after their initial r&b(even though it's as much prog as psych). traffic. small faces ogden's nutgone flake. 2nd grateful dead lp. after bathing at baxters by jefferson airplane. man, this is hard, i was so busy trippin back then. ummm, what were we sayin? oh yea, a few byrds cuts on notorious byrd brothers (and elsewhere). the doors "the end". dr john gris gris lp.

you need to get lenny kaye's amazing anthology called "nuggets" which covers some important psych and garage band - much of which you won't hear elsewhere. lenny kaye is the man. he is also the patti smith band's lead guitar player extrodinaire (and 2nd heart beating). he has himself created some very tasty pysch moments and you must listen to the album Horses asap. (this will also show you one of the mainlines into punk).

some of the most sublime psychedelic moments on record are in the interwoven 2 lead guitars played by tom verlaine and richard lloyd in the band Television. you need this music. hmmm. what else? are you afraid of that jazz music stuff? have you listened to any john coltrane, eric dolphy, don cherry, miles? very very psychedelic indeed. pull up and listen to some of coltrane with cherry "the avante garde". also please investigate sun ra.

nuggets 2 which ain't Lenny's and is not as good (i dunno what its really called) will shed some light also with many obscure british bits of this and that from mid to late 60's.

thats all i can think of right now. again. none of this will sound like Sid Barrett's Pink Floyd, sorry. no such thang.

thing is you can make lists til you turn crystal blue and nothing is gonna sound like the original floyd.

Apr 12, 2007 at 8:43 PM Post #11 of 45
Hmmm... I think Hurdy Gurdy Man is a little thicker than Sunshine - just my opinion though. Sunshine Superman is, however a much more solid album.

Barabajagal has Atlantis though. Some heady smoke was taken in on that one. The tracks with the Jeff Beck Group are pretty psych, though more in that wonderful, sloppy playful way.

Apr 12, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #12 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm... I think Hurdy Gurdy Man is a little thicker than Sunshine - just my opinion though. Sunshine Superman is, however a much more solid album.

Barabajagal has Atlantis though. Some heady smoke was taken in on that one. The tracks with the Jeff Beck Group are pretty psych, though more in that wonderful, sloppy playful way.

hey, its some of my most loved music...my real point was that it had not been done before sunshine superman which broke a lot of new ground. then he went and mixed the jazz thing it at a higher level on the very next lp (mellow yellow). brilliant stuff! then he gets mellower than previously thought possible and then he comes back rockin the house with barabajagel. his music deserves about a zillion times more attention then it gets!

also, i have to add: velvet underground with john cale still in it. pearls before swine. and the hangmans beautiful daughter by the incredible string band.

Apr 13, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #15 of 45
If you want Psychedelic, check this out. Guaranteed to Please.

Country Joe & The Fish: Electric Music For The Mind & Body

JD
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back