PSU recommendation for SLI rig?
Jan 12, 2006 at 7:21 PM Post #47 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Ask ANYWHERE on EOCF, OCF...whatever...few sensible people will recommend the GTX over the GT...fewer will recommend the GTX512.

Ask most people if they'd recommend getting a $200 headphone over a $20 one and they'd say no.
evil_smiley.gif
On a more serious note, the framerates of the GTX/GT aren't capable of maintaining larger LCD's refresh rates on newer games. You have to remember LCDs get big... I have a 1920X1200 resolution for my primary monitor and there's ones out there with even higher. When you're running panels this large you can easily argue that the extra frames are worth it for the higher end cards - even if the performance to price ratio isn't good. Made no difference back when I got my card though - 7800GT and ATI's new cards didn't exist. It was 7800GTX or bust.
wink.gif

Jan 12, 2006 at 10:02 PM Post #48 of 73
What monitor are you running on this system just out of curiosity?

If you really need to buy right now, then it sounds like the 7800GT would be a good match for you. I dont have the CO like gsferrari (although I plan on putting Zalmans new VF series cooler on it when it comes out) but the card is still able to run all the games I play at max details (HL2, CoD2, etc) at 1280x1024.

If, on the other hand, you are willing to wait for about a month or so, both ATi and nVidia have new high-end cards coming to the market. Once that happens, the 7800GTX512 will become a terrible value and it wouldnt be a smart buy for you. Plus, its just about impossible to find.

Quote:

Originally Posted by marscay
wait 2 weeks and get a X1900XTX

this thing will whip the 512GTX especially in shader heavy titles like F.E.A.R and will be cheaper.

I would wait until we actually see some real benchmarks before proclaiming that it will destroy everything. Besides, we dont really know if two weeks is a realistic claim for its launch, especially after ATi's x1X00 paper launch debacle.

Jan 13, 2006 at 2:47 AM Post #50 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by xSolsticex
What monitor are you running on this system just out of curiosity?

If you really need to buy right now, then it sounds like the 7800GT would be a good match for you. I dont have the CO like gsferrari (although I plan on putting Zalmans new VF series cooler on it when it comes out) but the card is still able to run all the games I play at max details (HL2, CoD2, etc) at 1280x1024.

If, on the other hand, you are willing to wait for about a month or so, both ATi and nVidia have new high-end cards coming to the market. Once that happens, the 7800GTX512 will become a terrible value and it wouldnt be a smart buy for you. Plus, its just about impossible to find.

I would wait until we actually see some real benchmarks before proclaiming that it will destroy everything. Besides, we dont really know if two weeks is a realistic claim for its launch, especially after ATi's x1X00 paper launch debacle.

considering ATI's track record last year that's a very valid point. however it's confirmed manufacturers have had R580 boards for quite awhile and it's expected to be a hard launch on 24th jan. this time they will definitely beat the boys in green by a couple of months.

the card has 48 shader ALU's compared to 16 on R520...it's going to be upto 40% faster than the R520 (X1800XT) if early reports are correct.

either way it's going to be a nice one until completely new architecture on R600. my 6800GT's going on fleabay real soon :p

Jan 13, 2006 at 2:54 AM Post #51 of 73
well I thought I might as well see what the 7800gt can do. If it's not up to snuff then I just sell it and get a different one. Also I read one of the posts that in about month or two the next gen is coming out so he does have a valid point.

I also find it strange that the graphics card came with quake4 not because it's a bad game but rather why bundle a game which chokes nearly all gt's/gtx's when ran at high resoulution?

It doesn't make sense to me but maybe you techie's could explain it.

Jan 13, 2006 at 3:10 AM Post #52 of 73
7800GT is still a strong card if you don't game in too high a res.

wait until you play F.E.A.R and COD2 hehe ....nothing like those 2 to make your latest cards run like poo.

Jan 13, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #53 of 73
The 7800GT will serve you well. They bundle it with Quake-4 because it is cheap for them...and expensive for us to buy the game separately. A month ago they were bundled with COD-2. I guess whatever game is the "in-thing" will be bundled with the card...

HL2, Doom3...long list of "bundled" games
smily_headphones1.gif

I am so eager to check out HDR in HL2 and COD2...not to mention Splinter Cell and Far Cry.

Mikey - have you played Far Cry? Kickass game...still a top class game by many counts IMO.

Jan 13, 2006 at 3:20 AM Post #54 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
The 7800GT will serve you well. They bundle it with Quake-4 because it is cheap for them...and expensive for us to buy the game separately. A month ago they were bundled with COD-2. I guess whatever game is the "in-thing" will be bundled with the card...

HL2, Doom3...long list of "bundled" games
smily_headphones1.gif

I am so eager to check out HDR in HL2 and COD2...not to mention Splinter Cell and Far Cry.

Mikey - have you played Far Cry? Kickass game...still a top class game by many counts IMO.

Played farcry? I am still hooked on Medal of Honour
rs1smile.gif

I am just not into Futuristic shooters I prefer more "believeable" FPS like MOH, BF2 etc.

Jan 13, 2006 at 3:25 AM Post #55 of 73
Have you played COD2? BF2 is far from believable man...

Try games like:

Splinter Cell (all the games in this series are fantastic!)
COD (still a very involving game to play)
COD-2

COD-2 is THE game if you like realistic scenarios. Another classic is the "Brothers in arms" series ('Road to hill 30' is amazing!!).

Anything from UBISOFT is worthy of mention here...

Jan 13, 2006 at 8:58 PM Post #56 of 73
just to let you know the 7800GT will be fine, i have an HP-P1130 21 inch CRT (1600x1200 @ 100hz, 2048x1536 @ 80hz) and my eVGA 7800GT (clocked at 472/1.16 on an Arctic Cooling NV5 rev. 1 [modded myself] but it's a crappy overclocker)

i run 1600x1200 for my desktop resolution, and 1600x1200 for every singe game i own, and i still get awesome framerates. (all except for FEAR, that's the only game that brings my rig to its knees)

then again this is also credited to my DFI LANParty UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert (my A8N-SLI Deluxe died) and my A64 3700+ @ 2.91GHz on a thermalright XP-90/Zalman ZM-F2 92mm

i am originally from Extreme Overclocking Forums (EOCF) so that's why i'm all about hardware
tongue.gif

Jan 15, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #57 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by K31TH3R
just to let you know the 7800GT will be fine, i have an HP-P1130 21 inch CRT (1600x1200 @ 100hz, 2048x1536 @ 80hz) and my eVGA 7800GT (clocked at 472/1.16 on an Arctic Cooling NV5 rev. 1 [modded myself] but it's a crappy overclocker)

i run 1600x1200 for my desktop resolution, and 1600x1200 for every singe game i own, and i still get awesome framerates. (all except for FEAR, that's the only game that brings my rig to its knees)

then again this is also credited to my DFI LANParty UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert (my A8N-SLI Deluxe died) and my A64 3700+ @ 2.91GHz on a thermalright XP-90/Zalman ZM-F2 92mm

i am originally from Extreme Overclocking Forums (EOCF) so that's why i'm all about hardware
tongue.gif

in your system do you have to wind detail down to sustain the frame rates you play at?

Or do you compromise AA and AF?

Jan 15, 2006 at 12:38 PM Post #58 of 73
a single 7800GT will not be able to handle recent games ie. quake4/doom3/hl2/far cry etc @ 1600x1200 with medium to high levels of AA and AF. for the latest shader heavy games like F.E.A.R and COD2 you will probably just get acceptable avg framerates with no filtering applied......but low minimum framerates which gets annoying in busy scenes.

if you want high AA/AF @ 16x12 you want a X1800XT/512 7800GTX

Jan 16, 2006 at 2:15 AM Post #59 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by marscay
a single 7800GT will not be able to handle recent games ie. quake4/doom3/hl2/far cry etc @ 1600x1200 with medium to high levels of AA and AF. for the latest shader heavy games like F.E.A.R and COD2 you will probably just get acceptable avg framerates with no filtering applied......but low minimum framerates which gets annoying in busy scenes.

if you want high AA/AF @ 16x12 you want a X1800XT/512 7800GTX

Ahhh lovespuds know I find out what I need to know after I order it
rs1smile.gif

Jan 16, 2006 at 2:33 AM Post #60 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Ahhh lovespuds know I find out what I need to know after I order it
rs1smile.gif

So what? The 512MB cant handle it either...get two of them? Sure...find one of them first and then think about two.

Dont sweat it - the 7800GT is awesome and for the price you pay for it, it will let you play the games until a card comes out that is really capable of handling the load.

You can also get two 7800GTs in SLi mode if one doesnt work out...but I dont recommend this for the reasons expressed earlier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back