PSU recommendation for SLI rig?
Jan 11, 2006 at 3:04 AM Post #31 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kwisatz

What monitor(s) are you using by the way? Other than the higher clock speeds of the 512 cards, unless you run your games at very high resolutions, 512MB framebuffers are useless these days.

I have a dell 2005 20 inch widescreen and a 42 plasma display. The plasma is for games and movies and the lcd is for deskstop use

Jan 11, 2006 at 3:19 AM Post #33 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz
Not necessary, but not useless:

http://www.megagames.com/news/html/p...2mbcards.shtml

Larger uncompressed textures aren't going to benefit people running at lower resolutions much, if any. Hence useless if not running at a higher resolution.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
I have a dell 2005 20 inch widescreen and a 42 plasma display. The plasma is for games and movies and the lcd is for deskstop use

Ah, a plasma TV... Depending how old that is, it can support anywhere from standard definition to 1080P natively. So quite the gap on possible resolution. Either way you'd benefit from the increased clock speed which you wouldn't be able to obtain from even a watercooled OC'd GTX.
smily_headphones1.gif
Plan on running it from component out, DVI, or possibly even DB15? (Note component out has been broken in newer drivers... yay nVidia)

Jan 11, 2006 at 3:54 AM Post #34 of 73
The GT versions of G70, as far as anyone I know of has been able to tell, have their missing pipes and shader fused out--no extent of modding shall bring them back from the dead.

As for having 512MB of texture memory... cores still can't keep it full.

Higher end kit doesn't always mean greater overclocking overhead, either.

Jan 11, 2006 at 4:13 AM Post #35 of 73
Quote:

C'mon, the term BIGASS should be reserved for the XP120. Granted even that is small in comparison to the monster I have on mine. THIS is a heatsink hehe. It's sad to think there are ones even larger - not necessarily more efficient, but larger.

now the xp-120 may be a big heatsink... but you haven't seen big until you've seen the Thermaltake Big Typhoon. All other air coolers shudder in fear at the sight of this BEAST! and although it may just seem like a gimmick, it's actually a pretty good cooler! i definitely didn't expect it. i don't have one, but here is a picture of this giant sitting on a motherboard....

http://www.3dxtreme.net/images/revie...r/IMG_1219.jpg

sh0ebox

Jan 11, 2006 at 4:51 PM Post #36 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by C38368

Its not a definitive rule, no. I'm simply applying the rule of averages. If the chips spec out to meet a higher set threshold, then on average the probability of one having an even higher capability is more than the probability of a chip that was only tested to a lower threshold and might not have the capacity to go much higher. There's always the possibility that the lower end chip is a gem of a sample and can go quite far and the higher spec'd chip can't go much if any higher than what it was originally spec'd to, but I'm just talking on average. Obviously this only applies to chips of the same basic architecture.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sh0eBoX
now the xp-120 may be a big heatsink... but you haven't seen big until you've seen the Thermaltake Big Typhoon. All other air coolers shudder in fear at the sight of this BEAST! and although it may just seem like a gimmick, it's actually a pretty good cooler! i definitely didn't expect it. i don't have one, but here is a picture of this giant sitting on a motherboard....

You didn't look at the picture of my Scythe Ninja did you? hehe... Going by the manufacturer size specs:
Thermaltake: 122 x 122 x 103 mm = 1533052 mm^3
Scythe: 110 x 110 x 150 mm = 1815000 mm^3
Thus that makes the Scythe larger by 281948 mm^3 (roughly a 6.5cm cube). Like I said though, there are much larger ones out there that are just plain rediculous in size to the point where they become impractical to the extreme. I liked the sideflow air concept of the Scythe Ninja as it allowed optimal airflow in my case with proven efficiency that allows me to use one of the most silent (if not the most silent) 120mm fan out there (Nexus RealSilent). It ain't pretty or flashy, but it gets the job done. Its only a stop gap though as I plan on switching to water cooling at which time it will be replaced by a smalll lil waterblock.
biggrin.gif
So much for size meaning anything
wink.gif
*ignores the radiator to make such a comment*

Jan 11, 2006 at 4:53 PM Post #37 of 73
Hee hee...The Scythe is a monster. Take a look at the pics posted by Irondreamer under my "new gaming rig" thread...

I thought the XP-90 was a monster until i saw the Scythe Ninja. I know about the XP-120...crazy
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 11, 2006 at 6:33 PM Post #38 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by C38368

As for having 512MB of texture memory... cores still can't keep it full.

Yeah, but the 512mb version of the GTX is also clocked much higher than the 256. The 512 is clocked 550core/850mem vs 430core/600mem for the 256. It also has more overclocking headroom, due to its 1.1ns rated RAM.

Jan 11, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #39 of 73
Just thought I'd chime in and say the OCZ PowerStream PSUs are VERY good. The power rails are ROCK SOLID, much cleaner than many supposed high-end supplies (Antec comes to mind). Yes, you pay a premium for them, but they will last you longer and take you through a few system rebuilds with power to spare. Highly Recommended if stability is more important than price.

Jan 11, 2006 at 10:34 PM Post #40 of 73
If you already have the Seasonic 600W, I would suggest not rushing out to buy a new PSU, I have had no problems with SLI, although I have 256MB GTXs, not 512s.
As for all the nay-sayers to SLI, I can certainly understand their reservations, but for running native resolution (1920x1200) you pretty much need a fast card. Hell I can't run Battlefield 2 as smoothly as I'd like with an SLI setup!
It comes down to what it's worth to you - I spend enought time gaming and didnt consider the cost outrageous enough to dissuade myself from going for it, and I haven't regretted going SLI.
Things are only getting more demanding - with the Xbox360 and PS3 games in development, UE3 games and even the upcoming Morrowind, I know I'll be happy with the SLI for a while longer than I would be with just 1 card.
With current games, Doom3 mods, CS:Source, BF2, F.E.A.R. - I see a big boost from SLI. It's not subtle.
I play a lot of CS:S and the ability to play at maximum frame rates and video quality simulataneously is in itself justification for me personally. In multiplayer gaming the frame rates need to be constantly high and smooth.
From benchmarks, a 2x 256MB GTX SLI setup slaughters a 512MB GTX in almost everything and doesnt cost too much more (~$100-200 more) if you look around. If you don't play a lot of games, it's not worth it. If you can wait the upcoming G71 and ATI r580 will probably equal a GTX SLI setup in a single card (although my guess is in some memory limited situations, it might still go the way of an SLI setup.)

Jan 11, 2006 at 11:08 PM Post #41 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
I also recommended to mikey to NOT go SLi because Iron_dreamer basically blasted me for considering that route. It is pointless, offers little or no performance improvement for a LOT of money and at the end of 3-4 months you have not 1 but 2 outdated graphics cards that nobody wants...because there is something newer, faster and better out there.

SLi is a waste and if you are still "thinking" about it mikey...stop thinking now and get a single 7800GT.

Think long term and think about the cool graphics cards that will come out in the next few years...dont get stuck with something because it is supposedly "awesome" today.

its a trap!

for ppl who game at 1600x1200 and higher SLI is not a waste of time.

i don't know where u get your info from re "little or no performance improvement" ....SLI can almost double your FPS depending on certain factors.....this isn't even debatable.

yeh it IS expensive but if you have a LCD with a native res of 1680x1050 like me SLI comes in very handy
tongue.gif
if you want to run with high levels of filtering.

back on topic if you aren't overclocking heavily you don't need a PC P&C PSU .....that's overkill for your system. A seasonic/fortron/ocz/antec/enermax will do you nicely as long as it has at least 30amps on the 12v rail.

OCZ 520W is a nice psu for the money and is the only psu apart from the pc p&c that has 1% regulation on the rails. I've got 1 and it holds my x2 3800+ @ 3.15ghz + SLI just fine

Jan 12, 2006 at 1:47 AM Post #42 of 73
Well my thinking is let's say I go and buy the 7800gtx512. It's $750 which of course is a lot of money.

But take a perspective pill let's say I buy 7800gt which is $300 which is still pricey but lot cheaper than the bfg option and then upgrade next year and then the year after that. I would of wasted $900 which is 150 more than the 7800gtx512.

I understand that within 1 month of me buying it it will be probably superceded by the new superduperfuzzy 7900gtx1024mb. But this happens in all things. Audio, visual etc,.

But just in case you better recommend some 7800 gt cards. Although I think someone mentioned to me that leadtek are suffering from all kinds of probs at the mo.

rogue>The version of the gtx I was planning to get was the 580mhzcore/1750mem version.

Don't get me wrong a lot of excellent points have been raised and I will take them into due consideration.

Jan 12, 2006 at 2:01 AM Post #43 of 73
Quote:

But take a perspective pill let's say I buy 7800gt which is $300 which is still pricey but lot cheaper than the bfg option and then upgrade next year and then the year after that. I would of wasted $900 which is 150 more than the 7800gtx512.

That 512MB 7800 GTX will be completely outclassed by the GTs of 2007. THAT is the difference.

$300.00 now for the 7800GT
$300.00 in 2007 for the 8800GT or whatever...

$600.00 total and you are still on top of the curve. The 7800GTX will be struggling at the current pace of development...

Better to spend about the same over a longer period of time AND stay on top of the curve...

eVGA has an awesome warranty policy...just read it - fantastic! Get the eVGA 7800GT CO like I did. Remember to get the version that has a 17 in the model number...lemme dig that up fer ya...

Also check out eVGAs trade-in policy
wink.gif

Jan 12, 2006 at 2:07 AM Post #44 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
That 512MB 7800 GTX will be completely outclassed by the GTs of 2007. THAT is the difference.

$300.00 now for the 7800GT
$300.00 in 2007 for the 8800GT or whatever...

$600.00 total and you are still on top of the curve. The 7800GTX will be struggling at the current pace of development...

Better to spend about the same over a longer period of time AND stay on top of the curve...

eVGA has an awesome warranty policy...just read it - fantastic! Get the eVGA 7800GT CO like I did. Remember to get the version that has a 17 in the model number...lemme dig that up fer ya...

Also check out eVGAs trade-in policy
wink.gif

dude unless the evga has an international warranty then it's useless to me.

if 7800 gt;s can run at 1600X1200 with everything turned up to its' knees and still have a pretty decent frame rate then it's worth considering.

Jan 12, 2006 at 2:16 AM Post #45 of 73
Quote:

dude unless the evga has an international warranty then it's useless to me.

if 7800 gt;s can run at 1600X1200 with everything turned up to its' knees and still have a pretty decent frame rate then it's worth considering.

Dood...shipping it back to USA will cost you very little...Balance the pros and cons in your mind first. I am done trying to convince you...it is your money and you have made up your mind.

To the person who made a comment about the 7800GTX's fantastic frame-rates...SO WHAT? The eye doesnt know any better once FPS is over LCD panel refresh rates anyway. And over time, the 7800GTX512 will hold performance in terms of FPS over the 7800GTCO256...BUT...with new features springing up - you might as well get a new card by then.

Ask ANYWHERE on EOCF, OCF...whatever...few sensible people will recommend the GTX over the GT...fewer will recommend the GTX512.

If you can find the GTX512 that is...have you tried looking for one?
confused.gif

Here are the links:

Newegg:7800GT CO
Monarch: 7800GT CO

You get Quake 4 for free
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back