PSP Slim & Lite
Oct 5, 2007 at 6:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Bigburger

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, I just got one of these new PSP's. Been wanting a PSP for a while. Nearly got a second hand one last year, but then I kinda moved on to other things...but now the slim version came out plus I have a holiday job now, so I went out and got one. Absolutely loving it! I'd pick this over the DS any day (I know most people prefer the DS, but I'm a sucker for graphics). At the moment I have Tekken and Killzone - both are good fun.

My question: When my PSP is accessing the UMD drive, its pretty loud - like a whirring/screeching sound. Is that normal?? Its not constant, but its pretty loud and happens in short bursts. I just want to know if its normal or if there is some fault in my PSP.

Oh and if anyone esle has the new PSP, or the older one for that matter, feel free to say what you think of it as a gadget.

Thanks

Oct 5, 2007 at 9:49 AM Post #2 of 23
I've only ever used the original PSP. I don't own one, but the ones I've used have been very quiet to silent when accessing the drive.

Oct 5, 2007 at 3:29 PM Post #3 of 23
My old-gen PSP's UMD drive can be pretty loud when it's searching/loading during gameplay.

Oct 5, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #5 of 23
My PSP Fat gets loud too from the first day I bought it, and it works fine. The thing is that even with the same UMD, sometimes it is loud, other times it is not. The whirring/screeching sound signature for the same UMD varies each time I put it in.

Oct 5, 2007 at 5:23 PM Post #6 of 23
My old PSP (fat) makes a lot of noise when loading a UMD.

I like the PSP, but love it with the PS3. The PS3's "remote play " makes it possible to access all the music files, TV, movies, and photos that I have stored on my PC (via Tversity and Orb software). This lets me access my media with the PSP from any wireless location.

Oct 5, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #7 of 23
I use my old PSP daily - Not to play games mind you, but I convert a ton of videos to watch while going to bed (Wife reads, I watch tv episodes.) AN archos or something would be better suited for this . . . but it's all I've got right now with a great screen.

I do play the occasional game - Tigerwoods rocks.

Oct 5, 2007 at 11:46 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by trickywombat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My PSP Fat gets loud too from the first day I bought it, and it works fine. The thing is that even with the same UMD, sometimes it is loud, other times it is not. The whirring/screeching sound signature for the same UMD varies each time I put it in.

Yeah, I have noticed this also. I noticed that after a couple of hours use, there was less noise. Maybe it just needs to be broken in a little like headphones need burn-in.

But, I'm loving it. The internet is pretty slow, but I guess thats not really what the thing was made for. I was originally planning on using custom firmware etc but I'm sticking to the original stuff for now - don't want to risk bricking it in the first few days.

I'm looking for a case, but there is hardly any out there yet for the slim PSP. Any ideas for things around the house I could use to carry store/carry the PSP??

Oct 7, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #10 of 23
I'd be keen to put custom firmware on my slim. But you need a custom fat PSP and a spare battery in order to put custom firmware onto a slim. And I know hardly anyone in my area with a PSP, let alone someone who is using custom firmware.

Really, I'm also kinda scared about bricking it, although there is unbrickers and things out there - I just don't want to take any risks....yet.

Does anyone know if its possible to be listening to music on the PSP while doing other stuff on it at the same time such as changing settings, looking at photos, using the web browser etc. ?? If I open the web browser or pictures or something while the music is playing, the music will turn off. Just wondering if there was a way around that.

Oct 7, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigburger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd be keen to put custom firmware on my slim. But you need a custom fat PSP and a spare battery in order to put custom firmware onto a slim. And I know hardly anyone in my area with a PSP, let alone someone who is using custom firmware.

Really, I'm also kinda scared about bricking it, although there is unbrickers and things out there - I just don't want to take any risks....yet.

Does anyone know if its possible to be listening to music on the PSP while doing other stuff on it at the same time such as changing settings, looking at photos, using the web browser etc. ?? If I open the web browser or pictures or something while the music is playing, the music will turn off. Just wondering if there was a way around that.

You need the fat PSP w/ CFW (custom firmware) to create the special battery and memory stick to hack your slim PSP. If it bricks your slim, those are actually your tools to unbrick it
tongue.gif
. If you cant find anyone, people are selling those 'special' batteries w/ memory sticks on ebay and the sorts for rediculous prices (~$50), that considering you could do it for free, if you can find a fat PSP.

Oh and w/ the music, it's programmed that way due to the system running at 222Mhz CPU speed, so basically it isnt powerful enough to multitask. But if you do manage to get CFW, there are plugins you can use to overclock the CPU to 333Mhz (the highest stable setting), and then you can use another plugin to play MP3s while doing other things.

DISCLAIMER: Exploiting the PSP does void your warrenty.
(But my 1 year warrenty has been out for a while so I'm on CFW
biggrin.gif
)

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Does anyone know if its possible to be listening to music on the PSP while doing other stuff on it at the same time such as changing settings, looking at photos, using the web browser etc. ??

With the newest firmware update, you can run a photo slideshow or look at photos while listening to music. It does not appear to allow internet browsing or setting changes while listening.

Oct 8, 2007 at 11:55 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vergency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You need the fat PSP w/ CFW (custom firmware) to create the special battery and memory stick to hack your slim PSP. If it bricks your slim, those are actually your tools to unbrick it
tongue.gif
. If you cant find anyone, people are selling those 'special' batteries w/ memory sticks on ebay and the sorts for rediculous prices (~$50), that considering you could do it for free, if you can find a fat PSP.

I find this wrong, as the hackers give it away for free, and most people should be able to get it themselves.

Quote:

Oh and w/ the music, it's programmed that way due to the system running at 222Mhz CPU speed, so basically it isnt powerful enough to multitask. But if you do manage to get CFW, there are plugins you can use to overclock the CPU to 333Mhz (the highest stable setting), and then you can use another plugin to play MP3s while doing other things.

You can do that w/o a plugin now, in the recovery menu. (R on startup)

Quote:

DISCLAIMER: Exploiting the PSP does void your warrenty.
(But my 1 year warrenty has been out for a while so I'm on CFW
biggrin.gif
)

I dont think it does, if you sent in a brick, before you could downgrade all fw, they upgraded it to the latest fw (with their unbricking battery) so you couldnt use homebrew/Pirate games.

Not all people pirate games though, some just brought the PSP for the custom fw, and homebrew, so hackers helped sell the PSP unit itself.

Email me for a good PSP site (theb055@hotmail.com), it has guides ect.

I dont want to break rules by posting it, even though they hate piracy and ban people for asking about where to d/l games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back