PSP, DS lite, or wait?
Jan 18, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #46 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, my DS lite can satisfy over six women at once. (PSP, only four)

Well, my DS lite wards off inverted mutant double-fanged sloth-beasts when spelunking on the set of the latest Indiana Jones...

dscavepicfm8.jpg

The PSP can only handle one...

pspcavepicnu4.jpg

redface.gif

EK

Jan 18, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #48 of 71
DS lite + R4DS card equals no boredom for the rest of eternity. i believe with the new HC microSD support, you could potentially carry around 700 games on one chip.

Jan 18, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #49 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DS lite + R4DS card equals no boredom for the rest of eternity. i believe with the new HC microSD support, you could potentially carry around 700 games on one chip.

Wow, game developers must love you! You'd pirate all 700 of them? Why not buy, I dunno, every third game? You'd still "save" about $16000...

mad.gif

EK

Jan 18, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #50 of 71
I do a lot of transatlantic flights so the PSP battery life is a big issue here.

The thing is, what games are people playing on there DS lite? I mean, I've found a few which look like fun, but the PSP has Syphon Filter, Metal Gear Solid, God of War, Silent Hill. These seem like seriouly good games IMHO.

Jan 18, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #51 of 71
New 'Nintendo DSi' Can Download Games, Take Pics, Play Music | Game | Life from Wired.com

Bigger screen, $50 more, longer battery life, some download system, camera feature. April is the rumored arrival date.

I have a DS lite with cyclods. 4gb mini SDHC is enough for me. I'm pretty selective with my games. Castlevania: Ecclesia, Disgaea, TWEWY, lots of great games. As well as the classics, Chrono Trigger, FF, etc...

I'm on the pre-order list for the pandora handheld. More info here and here. Should be expecting it late feb/mar. Seems like it would do great as an all around device. Gaming, PDA, Music, movies, general PC stuff. I'm getting it just to take a stab at programming. Well, that's my excuse
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 18, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #52 of 71
That's another good thing about the DS Lite. The games are much smaller so if you have a 10gb monthly data cap (like me) you don't have to restrict yourself to downloading one game per month like I did with the PSP.

It also means you don't need as big a memory stick. I have a 2gb and I can fit about 35 games on it.

But this only applies if your a terrorism-fueling pirate like me.

Jan 18, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #53 of 71
Quote:

do a lot of transatlantic flights so the PSP battery life is a big issue here.

The thing is, what games are people playing on there DS lite? I mean, I've found a few which look like fun, but the PSP has Syphon Filter, Metal Gear Solid, God of War, Silent Hill. These seem like seriouly good games IMHO.

Then if you go the PSP route, just get a spare battery. You should be good for at least six or eight hours. (if not more)

The DS lite has New Mario Bros, Elite Beat Agents, Megaman ZX, Kirby, Castlevania, Advanced Wars, etc. And can also play GBA games as well. There's definitely a more casual slant though, many of the supposed hardcore games are often simple and easy.

The PSP games you listed are good, but they do have their flaws. (MGS particularly, the game is broken up into bits, and gets repetitive until the final third)

You can check out GT for video reviews of all platforms: Gametrailers.com - Video Game Reviews, Game Trailers Reviews

Jan 18, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #55 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, my DS lite wards off inverted mutant double-fanged sloth-beasts when spelunking on the set of the latest Indiana Jones...
redface.gif

EK

Awesome post, after that I don't see how there could be any doubt left as to which is the better platform!
ph34r.gif

Jan 18, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #56 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by fromthelane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do a lot of transatlantic flights so the PSP battery life is a big issue here.

As a probably biggest fan of Silent Hill in the world (at least in my mind) that game is not meant to be played on the go. God of war also falls in that category. For the other two, I'm not a fan so i don't know.

As for DS games, i particularly like all Mario/Zelda/Castlevania/FF related games, then there's The World Ends With You as a excellent game, Chrono Trigger of course as one of my all time favorites...i can't remember exactly since I've played allot of different games in past two years. The last one i liked was Dragon Ball origins. Very enjoyable although a little repetitive.

BTW: i had my brothers PSP for a while and battery isn't really a issue for me as much is that long loading time. He has the first version though, so maybe they improved it with the newer ones.

Jan 18, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #57 of 71
Quote:

As a probably biggest fan of Silent Hill in the world (at least in my mind) that game is not meant to be played on the go. God of war also falls in that category

I know lighting can be an issue with those two games. They both veer on the dark side of viewable. (SH especially)

He's gonna be on a plane, so he'll probably be stationary for long periods of time. Either system would be fine in that regard, I think.

Quote:

He has the first version though, so maybe they improved it with the newer ones.

Yes, the newer ones have double the ram (64mb v 32mb), which can help improve load times. Though it does vary by game, some load much faster than on the old PSP, while others very little.

Jan 18, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #58 of 71
Well, on the plane it's possible. He need to remember to take some really nice cans with him though, since half of SH's awesomeness is sound (if he actually like the game in the first place).
I'm glad they improved loading times, i didn't know that.

Jan 18, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #59 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But this only applies if your a terrorism-fueling pirate like me.

Eh, don't be so cocky... I know what you look like:

13122008120.jpg

You better have an original receipt for that "Sacred URU" when the FBI come a-knocking...

rolleyes.gif

EK

Jan 18, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #60 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eh, don't be so cocky... I know what you look like:

You better have an original receipt for that "Sacred URU" when the FBI come a-knocking...

rolleyes.gif

EK

:O

Noo! They were right when they said everything on the internet was permanent
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back