PSP, DS lite, or wait?
Jan 18, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #16 of 71
iPod touch/iPhone 3G is a rather interesting gaming device mostly because of that beautiful screen, good CPU and multitouch, but game support won't get near the PSP and DS Lite anytime soon. My brother is much worst video game geek than me (has practically all the consoles out there) and he obviously has both PSP and DS Lite. I have DS only and we both agree DS its way more fun even though it has a CPU equivalent of an microwave. I mean c'mon, Mario, Zelda...what else could you possibly need?
biggrin.gif

Jan 18, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #18 of 71
iPod Touch/iPhone can never be as good as the PSP or DS Lite for the same reason that it's (supposedly) better than other DAPs and mobile phones: It has no buttons.

Jan 18, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #19 of 71
before i got a my ipod touch I chose between that, the ipod, an Eepc and the psp. The Eepc could not fit in my pocket so out. Apparently their about the same, it's just that the psp is concentrated on speed, because it has to deal with high quality graphics every nanosecond. iPod touch however, is cocentrated on music (duh, that's why it's an iPod) the speed is great for simple games like pacman or ifish, but for games like asphalt, it sometimes lags. I chose the ipod touch because I needed an exchange from my PDA (hp 3715) and I'd prefer the size since that it'd be easier to bring anywhere and the sound quality, wow.

PSP: Mainly for games
iPod touch: mainly for Media(music, movies, photos)

One more thing, if your gonna get a touch, get the first gen. Weird thing to say right? Yes, but apparantly even if the 2nd is faster and tougher than the other three (iPhone, iTouch 1, iPhone 3G) due to some reaserch by me, the iPhone dev' team hasn't made a jailbreak for 2nd Gen, "beacuse it's not an iPhone" they said.

Another thing, most itouch/iphone games are free, good ones cost about $5, awesome ones cost $20. PSP games all cost $30 (UMD).

My final say, if you want a small device for mini games, get the touch. Since you already have an iPod get the PSP, easier controls since that it has more buttons and a more enhanced gaming experience. Don't say "wait for another console" because if anyone has noticed, everything gets an upgrade in a few months time, PSP->PSP 3000, DS -> DS Lite, iPhone -> iPhone 3G, 1st gen -> 2nd gen iTouch.

Maybe wait for the ipod touch 5th gen, it should have bluetooth, GPS, a built in Camera, a built in mic and better speakers.

For some of you who don't know, the ipod touch has bluetooth and an fm transmitter, they both have no use (now). See here and here.

Jan 18, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #20 of 71
Despite it's looks the DS Lite is well built. Think Apple when you think of a DS Lite, its almost like a Apple person designed it anyways.

I can't comment on other platforms. I mainly bought a DS Lite so I could play the recent Zelda game and enjoyed it. The touch screen and interplay between screens is interesting especially for an RPG on this title.

Jan 18, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #21 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxvla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Despite it's looks the DS Lite is well built. Think Apple when you think of a DS Lite, its almost like a Apple person designed it anyways.

I believe I've read on some place back when they were introduced that Apple did have some influence in designing DS Lite and Wii. And it sure does look like that, especially the white version. Not sure if it's true though.

And yes, it's really well build as it's still fully functional after two years of abuse.

Jan 18, 2009 at 6:58 AM Post #22 of 71
If you like rhythm games, I would say PSP. Get the 4 DJMax games ( or 3 and skip clazziquai :p ) and you'll be set for a very long time (I've logged over a thousand hours on just DJMP2, and I'm playing the new Black Square and the original DJMP1 now, maybe a hundred hours on those two). They're almost all I play on PSP, aside from some Street Fighter and Guilty Gear and some RPGs like Final Fantasy and Star Ocean. Gran Turismo 4 has been delayed to hell, which is too bad. And then probably some other games I can't think of.
Of course, it has much better multimedia capabilities, wifi, and when the psp3000 becomes hackable, you'll have access to psp homebrew where the limits are exponentially increased.

I honestly haven't played my DS in a very long time. Pokemon Diamond lasted me about 800 hours before I got tired and decided to wait for Platinum before playing more. Lots of good first party games though in all sorts of genres, obviously. I don't think there are many good 3rd party games though, maybe castlevania, phoenix wright, bomberman.
An important point though, is that the DS lite has access to the large (large) collection of GBA games. The new DSi does not have a gba slot, but has cameras and an online store. I would say the DS lite is better, but if you don't like any GBA games get the DSi.
The DS is also capable of homebrew through a flashcart, but not to the extent of the PSP from what I've seen and experienced.

I think it really depends on what kind of games you like. Any genres in particular?

Jan 18, 2009 at 7:29 AM Post #23 of 71
I have both but don't really use either anymore. Even though I have an original psp with custom firmware loaded to the brim with emulators (which I find far more appealing than any of the UMD offerings) I still prefer the DS.

Jan 18, 2009 at 9:25 AM Post #24 of 71
Both have their merits. PSP is far more capable in my opinion, I used my original PSP-1000 for a good two years before it came across a little accident. Needless to say, hacked firmwares with emulators, UMD compressed rips, and a nice size card provided me a huge channel to waste my time into

DS is fun though. Phoenix, Professor Layton, and every single Castlevania game are fantastic.

Jan 18, 2009 at 9:56 AM Post #25 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a PSP for a long time but when I got the DS Lite I found I wasn't using the PSP any more and so I sold it.

DS Lite just has more fun games. They're not as 'console-like' but if I want console-like I'll play a console... Console-like games really aren't suited for the main purpose of a portable handheld, portable gaming. The one thing the PSP has going for it though is the emulation. The web browser is also faster than the DS one.

But overall I much prefer the DS Lite. It also has much longer battery life and is smaller and lighter in size (although I had the original fat PSP so I'm not sure about the new ones).

i agree

on portable things i dont tend to use action games at all, i quite like puzzle games, or little games like board games so id go with the nintendo style, tho i dont really like thier DS design, the screens are too small

so i sid wait

Jan 18, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #26 of 71
Quote:

Despite it's looks the DS Lite is well built.

Build quality is only decent. Quite a few people have had case cracking, shoulder button and hinge issues with just regular use. (Myself included) And if you're out of warranty, Nintendo may charge you over half the cost of the system to fix it. I've actually dropped my PSP Phat numerous times, and everything still works fine.

Jan 18, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #27 of 71
Ok, so I read some reviews and came up with a list of the top 3 games I'd get for either console. The total price for the DS plus games was $210 and for the PSP it was $240. However, the games on the PSP are far superior in my opnion.

Now, for around $310 I could get a 16GB Ipod Touch plus Crash Bandicoot, Super Monkey Ball, and some random puzzle game (e.g. Tetrus). Plus, I'd have a decent-ish music player, video player, photo viewer, and various other feautures.

Food for thought, but I'm tending to rule out the DS Lite. I really struggled to find 3 games I *really* wanted.

Jan 18, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #28 of 71
I would go with the PSP then. I have some games on my iPod touch but they really are not even close to as good as what can be found on PSP. I just can't see it being entertaining enough if you fly a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back