PS4 with 3.5mm x2 Type Headset...
Feb 11, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #136 of 411
It works with every headset... you just have to plug in the tb ps4 chat cable from the controller to the Mixamp's controller jack. It should also work with the Creative Recon USB.

If using a regular Mixamp, you just make sure the mixamp isnt the default chat device, as the ps4 would then send the chat through the usb, and not the controller. Thts more ideal IF your Mixamp is close to you. If you sit too far, you'll want the chat tl go through the controller, hence the tb ps4 chat cable. Mixamp 5.8 doesn't do usb chat, so you need the tb ps4 chat cable regardless.

Feb 11, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #137 of 411
I use these here:

My headset is an analog pc headset. It's a 5.1 headset. So the mix amp needs:
front audio input
surround input
ctr/sub input

Problem is that the astro mixamp has not alle these inputs.

Feb 11, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #138 of 411
  I use these here:

My headset is an analog pc headset. It's a 5.1 headset. So the mix amp needs:
front audio input
surround input
ctr/sub input

Problem is that the astro mixamp has not alle these inputs.

Ok, but does your headset or chat mixer has the 2.5mm port for the Xbox 360 chat cable? If it does then you can use the TB PS4 chat cable.

Feb 11, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #140 of 411
Am I going to run into any connectivity or chat sound quality issues connecting K712 + mic via a Y cable to a 2013 Mixamp's headphone jack and then Mixamp to PS4 via optical (game sound) and USB (chat + power)?  I thought by setting the PS4 'output to headpone' setting to 'chat audio' everything should work correctly and sound great.  

Feb 11, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #141 of 411
Problem is that the mixamp has no mic jack. So the answer is no.

Umm, what the hell? The Mixamp DOES have a mic jack. It comes bundled with an audio/mic y cable that allows use of any standard headset with separate jacks. Have you even looked into it, or are you just throwing wild guesses?

Feb 11, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #142 of 411
Umm, what the hell? The Mixamp DOES have a mic jack. It comes bundled with an audio/mic y cable that allows use of any standard headset with separate jacks. Have you even looked into it, or are you just throwing wild guesses?

I'm talking about my decoder box buddy. It has no mic jack.  Guess how it worked on my ps3. I used a usb sound card for the mic.

Feb 11, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #143 of 411
Oh, oh. You wrote Mixamp, which is the name of the actual device I'm referring to.

Feb 11, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #144 of 411
I'm using:

PS4:

Mixamp 5.8, optical cable and usb cable for chat, to the TX

and PC360 headset connected to the RX

works fine for game audio and chat, don't even need the turtle beach cable to the controller, which I bought based on this site but have no need for

Feb 12, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #145 of 411
I've found a a new usb sound card which will probably work. It's the soundcard from the Roccat Cave XTD.

It has an optical output. Contacted them to know If I can buy only the soundcard.

Feb 14, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #146 of 411
Ok.  So it seems like nothing has been sorted out by the new firmware.  

I'm not terribly interested in getting into discontinued products and work-arounds that may break as I don't have any existing equipment and everything will be purchased new.   So question to the group: (i) Momentum plugged into DS4, OR (ii) Astro A50.

At the moment, I have a Momentum that I got price-matched so it's the same price I can get an A50 for.   I am assuming (and if anyone can confirm, that would be great) that the Momentum into the DS4 is how Sony thought people would use the jack (with smart phone headsets) and that the mic and volume levels are good.  If anyone has used their Momentum on a DS4, any feedback would be appreciated.  I'm mainly curious if you can mute and if the volume controls work.  If it does, I don't see how the Sennheiser Game Zero would be a better buy as I prefer no boom mic.

From a sound experience side, it comes down to Dolby Surround vs. better stereo. But I can't test either of these since the return policies are less than generous (no open box).   

Simple maths:
A50 - $150 for the amp/surround functions, $150 for the headphone quality
Momentum - $399 (in Canada) for headphone quality.

All my other headphones don't have mics and the "add iPhone function to existing headphone" solutions are all a bit of a mess of cables or overly expensive for IEM (if there is a solution to add mic to Heir 5.0 type IEM that would be great but those cables are expensive!).

I figured with the Momentums, I could add a wireless dolby solution down the road when more widely available (although not sure if the integrated mic/headphone plug will work or if you will need a splitter to 3.5mm x2).

Feb 14, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #148 of 411
I hear you, but aside from the Mixamp 5.8, which is discontinued, there isn't any stand-alone wireless solution and the A50's seem to be the best integrated wireless solution.   

That or I just wait and hope something new comes up.  

Feb 15, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #149 of 411
I'm using:

PS4:

Mixamp 5.8, optical cable and usb cable for chat, to the TX

and PC360 headset connected to the RX

works fine for game audio and chat, don't even need the turtle beach cable to the controller, which I bought based on this site but have no need for
Is the chat quality the same via the USB? I have the same setup, except I don't have the Astro PS3/PC USB chat cable yet. Astro is mailing me one now, at least I hope so. I had to talk to quite a few different people to get one. They kept telling me they didn't have anymore.(They've been discontinued for awhile now.)

Feb 15, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #150 of 411
I actually really REALLY like the A50s. They worked 100% wireless both audio and chat with PS4 after Astro released updated firmware. They were a little bass heavy at times, but otherwise SQ was great. I ended up selling mine simply because I got tired of charging stuff, plus I already had wired headsets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back