PS4 with 3.5mm x2 Type Headset...
Dec 3, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #31 of 411
cmarti, considering you have the mic plugged into the controller...I was having problems doing that with the Mixamp Pro, since if I use the Mixamp for my headphones, and mic to the PS4 controller, I can't hear people talk to me. What are your sound settings?

I assume:

PS4 - Optical out - Mixamp 5.8 TX unit
PS4 controller - TB chat cable - RX unit
Headphones connected to the RX unit

PS4 settings to what?

That is exactly how I have it connected.

The PS4 settings are the following:

1) On the PlayStation Dynamic Menu, go to Settings > Sound and Screen > Audio Output Settings > Primary Output Port > Digital Out (Optical) and then select Dolby Digital 5.1 Ch followed by okay.

2) Under Audio Output Settings once again, select Output to Headphones and ensure Chat Audio is selected and not All Audio.

3) Under Audio Output Settings once more, select Audio Format (Priority) and change this from Linear PCM to Bitstream (Dolby). Anything else selected might cause the loss of surround sound or audio altogether.

Dec 3, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #32 of 411
That's exactly how I have it and still doesn't work.

Hmm... I'm gonna have to see if my Mixamp Pro is in conflict with the controller or something. And if I have a headphone
plugged in to the controller and use chat audio only, I only get chat audio on the left ear cup.

This is frustrating.

Dec 3, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #33 of 411
That's exactly how I have it and still doesn't work.

Hmm... I'm gonna have to see if my Mixamp Pro is in conflict with the controller or something. And if I have a headphone
plugged in to the controller and use chat audio only, I only get chat audio on the left ear cup.

This is frustrating.

What headset are you using with your setup?

Dec 3, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #34 of 411
They better patch these features in soon. The PS3 had the ability to control pretty much everything! Even setting mic level! With the PS3, I could choose to have incoming chat sent out through HDMI and outgoing chat (my voice) go in through USB. With the PS4 in its current state, you can only have:

In/out chat USB

OR

In/out chat Controller

Right now there is no way to change which way you receive chat, like you could with PS3. Kind of sad for a next-gen system.

Dec 4, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #35 of 411
I'm not using a headset, I'm using my MA900 with an external clip on mic. The setup works perfectly fine if I use my Mixamp for both game audio and voice chat. But if I wanna simplify my setup and leave my Mixamp next to the PS4 (leaving the clip on mic to plug into the ps4 controller), it won't work properly. It's a pain in the ass, if I could be so blunt. Sony needs to seriously upgrade the settings on the PS4, because it's a MASSIVE step back from all the things you can do with the PS3.

As you said, you can't have both the usb function on the ps4 as well as the controller doing chat. You have to make a choice. This is whay worries me with the Mixamp 5.8. The 5.8 doesn't have usb chat function (without the PS3 chat cable, which I don't think works...and I don't even have). I bought the Ps4 turtle beach chat cable which should function off the PS4 controller's audio out, BUT, SINCE THE STUPID PS4 WON'T LET ME LISTEN TO GAME AUDIO THROUGH THE OPTICAL OUT AND CHAT AT THE SAME TIME THROUGH THE CONTROLLER... I MAY BE SCREWED.

This leaves me to wait until Sony patches in multiple audio sources at once, or use the Mixamp Pro when I wanna chat and have virtual surround at the same time. Back to the cable clutter.

Dec 4, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #36 of 411
I'm not using a headset, I'm using my MA900 with an external clip on mic. The setup works perfectly fine if I use my Mixamp for both game audio and voice chat. But if I wanna simplify my setup and leave my Mixamp next to the PS4 (leaving the clip on mic to plug into the ps4 controller), it won't work properly. It's a pain in the ass, if I could be so blunt. Sony needs to seriously upgrade the settings on the PS4, because it's a MASSIVE step back from all the things you can do with the PS3.

As you said, you can't have both the usb function on the ps4 as well as the controller doing chat. You have to make a choice. This is whay worries me with the Mixamp 5.8. The 5.8 doesn't have usb chat function (without the PS3 chat cable, which I don't think works...and I don't even have). I bought the Ps4 turtle beach chat cable which should function off the PS4 controller's audio out, BUT, SINCE THE STUPID PS4 WON'T LET ME LISTEN TO GAME AUDIO THROUGH THE OPTICAL OUT AND CHAT AT THE SAME TIME THROUGH THE CONTROLLER... I MAY BE SCREWED.

This leaves me to wait until Sony patches in multiple audio sources at once, or use the Mixamp Pro when I wanna chat and have virtual surround at the same time. Back to the cable clutter.

Did your Mixamp need a firmware update in order for it to work right with the PS4? My A50s did, and they they now work 100% both chat and audio.

Im actually VERY interested in the 5.8, since it would pretty much turn any headset into a wireless one, but Ive had doubts about it working with PS4. Had it been PS3 I would already know it would work perfect, because the PS3 had the settings to do so.

Super frustrating, the latest news was that the next PS4 firmware update would come right around Jan 1st, but who knows if they'll include the features we want.

So for now, Im stuck using my Astro A50s, which are not really that bad IMO. When they do update the PS4, I wont hesitate to go back to my PC360s or soon-to-be MDR-7520 with Beyerdynamic Mic Combo.

Dec 4, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #37 of 411
I don't understand the problems you are all having my 5.8 MixAmp works perfectly with the PS4 and the Turtlebeach PS4 chat cable. Just tested it on Ghost and Battlefield 4

Dec 4, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #38 of 411
My Mixamp is a 2011. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have firmware updates. Anyways, it works perfectly fine when I use IT as the chat device. What I'm talking about is using the PS4's optical out for game audio, while using the ps4 controller as the chat device. The PS4 will override one or the other. Even if I set the PS4 to output both game audio and chat, i can't hear anyone talking to me through the optical out.

I don't have the Mixamp 5.8 yet, but considering the optical out as the main audio device and the ps4 controller as the chat device isn't working properly with the controller outputting chat, I don't see how the TB chat cable is gonna help. My 5.8 comes in tomorrow.

Dec 5, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #39 of 411
My Mixamp is a 2011. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have firmware updates. Anyways, it works perfectly fine when I use IT as the chat device. What I'm talking about is using the PS4's optical out for game audio, while using the ps4 controller as the chat device. The PS4 will override one or the other. Even if I set the PS4 to output both game audio and chat, i can't hear anyone talking to me through the optical out.

I don't have the Mixamp 5.8 yet, but considering the optical out as the main audio device and the ps4 controller as the chat device isn't working properly with the controller outputting chat, I don't see how the TB chat cable is gonna help. My 5.8 comes in tomorrow.

Your controller is the chat device. The optical out is just for your 5.1 signal. Just like the xbox. The USB cable doesn't have to be plugged into the 360/one for chat. The live cable has to be plugged into the controller. So the PS4 is basically acting like a 360 at this point. The mixing is happening in the mixamp. I believe that is what cmarti was trying to say. 

Dec 5, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #40 of 411

I think you problem is that you are trying to do something that is unnatural for the PS4.

Just use the MixAmp with the TB chat cable and you will be good.

Dec 5, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #41 of 411
  Your controller is the chat device. The optical out is just for your 5.1 signal. Just like the xbox. The USB cable doesn't have to be plugged into the 360/one for chat. The live cable has to be plugged into the controller. So the PS4 is basically acting like a 360 at this point. The mixing is happening in the mixamp. I believe that is what cmarti was trying to say. 

Exactly. 1+

Dec 5, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #42 of 411
I just bought a 3.5mm male to 2.5mm female TRRS adapter for $3 I am going to try with my xbox chat cable hoping it works. I still think in the long run i am going to go wireless.
I tripped over my mixamp usb cable after work it twisted my plasma on its stand. I have my usb plugged into my plasma. I am just so sick of the wires and I can't get a mixamp 5.8 in Canada. Honestly though I want to I want to be completely detached. The reviews for the Steelseries H Wireless are looking really good. I really wish they would send them to MLE, Chico or Evshrug. So I could get a honest review of them. Video game critics don't look for the little things we do. I don't expect it to even touch any of my headphones but it does have the share port on it if I want to plug in my other headphones. :wink:

Dec 5, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #44 of 411
Dec 5, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #45 of 411
Got the Mixamp 5.8 set up. Works perfectly with voice chat, using the Turtle Beach ps4 chat cable. Thank goodness.

The 5.8 does come with a 2.5mm to 2.5mm cabke, so all I needed was basically a 2.5mm female to 3.5mm male cable, I guess like the ones just posted. Oh well, less adapters to hook up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back