PS4 vs XBOX ONE (What would you buy and why? No fanboy like comments please)
Jun 21, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #136 of 1,094
Quote:
Xbox One is looking strong now.  1 pre order :D.

But I think they went passed the PS4 on Amazon for their home market so it did have an effect.
Someone suggested MS was listening to the consumers... That is exactly what they didn´t how on earth could they take the flac during the entire E3 when the **** storm started well before and then revert as late as now to the inevitable!  They wanted to stick with it that´s for sure but the Jimmy Fallon piece where PS 4 was for used games maybe was the final drop. Only ones that listen to the audience this time is Sony. Kind of 180 for last generation actually... 

Amazon's ranking is based on what's selling every hour not the total number of sales/preorders.
The XBOX One went up to #1 because of the initial push after the DRM reversal but the total number still has the PS4 in the top spot.
I think it's just XBOX fans going back to XBOX after jumping ship to PS4.

Over on their best selling Video Game Products of the year list, however, we can see that the PS4 (which was only available for pre-order since last week) is at number two. The main competitor, the Xbox One (also only available since last week), has made it to the not-too-shabby, but lower, spot of number seven.

Microsoft was smart enough to realize people don't want DRM shoved down their throat and finally decide to abandon DRM, this will probably make it pretty close in the states but most people outside the XBOX circle of fanboys already lost faith in the XBOX One and Microsoft, I don't see the XBOX One selling more than the cheaper and more powerful PS4.

And I agree with you, Microsoft wasn't listening to gamers, it was the terrible preorders, it was the potential loss of money, it was shareholders seeing their money go down the drain if they continue with DRM, because if they was listening to gamers/consumers they would had changed it after the reveal. With big company like Microsoft money dictate decisions.

Jun 21, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #137 of 1,094
This is not so much capitalism as it is to rent you a console instead of buying it. MS wants economic rent from it's customers

Setting up revenue enhancing streams... isn't that pretty much an aspect of capitalism? It makes you marvelously wealthier while exploiting consumers twice over. I'm not selling you this thing, I'm renting/granting a limited usage license to you... all the same. If you can get away with it, then why not?

Microsoft (along with Adobe and others) have begun rolling out subscription-based software to earn more revenue. There was major backlash over the change, but they've been successful. Microsoft thought it could apply something similar to gaming, which had already begun shifting towards online DRM. Microsoft learned they couldn't do so. But they (and other companies) will likely learn to tailor their DRM/revenue enhancing paradigms to different markets. The movie and TV crowd are easily cowed in one way. Gamers will require different methods to be maximally exploited. I'm sure there were people working on increasing profits from music and shifting more control to the hands of the distributors... oh wait, digital distribution minimizes distribution costs to nearly nothing. Distributing it in a DRM-friendly format allows consumers to lose access to it easier. Ever weakening consumer protection laws means buyers have little recourse other than to buy it again. Remember, you not paying for a song but rather a specific form of access to listen to it. If it's not longer accessible for whatever reason (tied to an old device that broke down, old playback format no longer being supported, etc.), that's too bad! What are you going to do about it?

Jun 21, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #138 of 1,094
If I was buying one, it would be the PS4.

The hardware is considerably faster, it has a sleeker design with an integrated power supply (I hate the brick Xboxes use) the exclusives that Sony have are generally a lot more appealing to me, and it's a cheaper system.

The DRM debacle with the Xbox One is enough to have me avoid that system, especially when the hardware is slower, they are far too focused on non-gaming features, it costs $100 more, and it requires a camera and microphone to be pointed at me and active at all times in my living room - it's constantly listening for "Xbox on". (and whatever else the NSA wants to see/hear...)

The TV features are laughable to me - it's 2013, who even watches television any more!? It feels like a system designed for 2005 - I stream content or watch Blu-rays. I haven't had cable/satellite for years now.
I think the design is ugly, the box is huge, and it's going to be a mess of wires with the power brick and Kinect coming out the back of it.

But I will likely stick to my PC.

I got rid of my PS3/360 years ago, because I was fed up with 720p graphics at terrible framerates. Everything on PC is 1080p, locked to 60fps, with great image quality. (16x anisotropic filtering, real anti-aliasing)
On PC, I get digital downloads of games on day 1, at 1/3 or less the cost of the console versions via Steam, or even less if I want to wait a month or two for sales.

Steam's DRM is very relaxed and unobtrusive - the only time it's ever an annoyance is when a game gets unlocked in another region a week before it does here. (Civilization V was the last time I remember that happening though)
The games are cheap enough that I don't care about whether I get to resell them or lend them to friends - I pay less for games on Steam than I do when I buy a console game and trade it in for cash once I have finished it anyway - and I get to keep it.

These days I find myself having less time for gaming anyway, so why buy a new system when I already have a backlog of games to complete on the PC?
It will be interesting to see how my current PC handles next-gen ports with its GTX 570. That has lasted me a few years now, and I haven't felt the need to upgrade at all.
From what I've seen of the next-gen games so far, the majority just look like current generation console titles do when running on a PC anyway, so the 570 may even last me all the way through this generation of consoles too. (that Remedy game sure looks nice though)

I think I'm just done buying a box dedicated solely to playing games. My PC does everything that I need; audio, video, games, internet, work.
And it's all hooked up to my living room TV, so I'm not sat looking at a tiny monitor.

Jun 21, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #139 of 1,094
I think that your graphics card will last you about 3 years into the next gen.

I, on the other hand, have recently switched away from PC gaming. I find that consoles are just way more relaxing then a PC, so I'll probably pick up the PS4 at some point, especially if it takes Oculus Rift input.

I'm also a huge Nintendo lover, so I need to really pick up the Wii U at some point.

Jun 21, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #140 of 1,094
I'll probably get a PS4 after they refresh the design of it in a few years.  Having owned PS1 through PS3, may as well continue the tradition, though I don't use my PS3 that often currently.

Jun 22, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #141 of 1,094
I think that your graphics card will last you about 3 years into the next gen.
The consoles are a fixed spec and are essentially x86 PCs with integrated graphics this time around. If my card works well with ports at the start of the generation, it's likely to last throughout - but I will probably want to upgrade at some point anyway.
Once we see some good 4K displays (probably once the OLED ones launch in a couple of years) I will be upgrading to one of them and will need a new card to handle that.

I, on the other hand, have recently switched away from PC gaming. I find that consoles are just way more relaxing then a PC
Well as I said, I have my PC hooked up to my main TV. For a lot of games, I'm just using a wireless 360 controller and Steam's "big picture" mode, so it's essentially a console experience, without the performance drawbacks.

I can of course still use keyboard and mouse, and there are tools such as XPadder for games that do not have official controller support. (gamepad emulates a keyboard & mouse)

I'm also a huge Nintendo lover, so I need to really pick up the Wii U at some point.
I think it's a real shame about what happened with the Wii (complete abandonment of core gamers to chase a new market) and that Nintendo still haven't embraced online play with the Wii U.
There are probably enough good games, and games with good multiplayer that I would have bought one by now if they weren't all local multiplayer only. As an adult, I just don't have the opportunity to have three other friends over to play games, but we can meet up online fairly easily. NSMB U multiplayer looks chaotic in the best way possible, but I won't ever have the opportunity to play that.

I did recently pick up a 3DS after a few games pushed me over the tipping point of saying that I was going to avoid handheld systems from now on and just stick to iOS, so that's my Nintendo fix for now.
I was happy enough with iOS for how little mobile gaming I did, but then there hasn't been anything that interested me since Ghost Trick was released.

Jun 22, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #142 of 1,094
My tastes are way off from the average gamer - there was an entire 3 games on the xbox 360 I found enjoyable. On the other hand, there's 20 something games I want to play on the wii (sadly, I only own 6 of them). Plus I don't like online multiplayer gaming (LAN parties for the win!) so Nintendo has always had a great policy for me.

Quote:
The consoles are a fixed spec and are essentially x86 PCs with integrated graphics this time around. If my card works well with ports at the start of the generation, it's likely to last throughout - but I will probably want to upgrade at some point anyway.

Its not that the specs increase, its that the optimization gets better. Its why graphics improve over the generation considerably. Watch Dogs is only using 2 gigs of the PS4s RAM, to boot. Another 5 gigs for the developers to play with and they can't even use it. This generation is so much higher then last generation in specs its insane. It'll be at the point a fully optimized PS4 can't really improve too much on graphics.

Jun 22, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #143 of 1,094
I'll buy whatever one has Fallout 4. Xbox One is too expensive IMO. I almost never buy a console at release date and wait to see which one has games I want.
Hopefully the Xbox One has as many good games as the 360.

BTW I hate these stupid console exclusives! Don't like how only the PS4 is getting Half Life 3.

Jun 22, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #144 of 1,094
Quote:
I'll buy whatever one has Fallout 4. Xbox One is too expensive IMO. I almost never buy a console at release date and wait to see which one has games I want.

BTW I hate these stupid console exclusives! Don't like how only the PS4 is getting Half Life 3.

I suppose this is a joke but Valve who makes and own the Half Life franchise won´t even release Half Life 3 on their own coming steam box or on their steam service :p
It´s the last title you ever have to worry going console exclusive.

Fallout 4 will be multi platform. You don´t need to buy a console for that. If they are anything like the previous you have to have balls of steels to buy the console versions.

the best strategy is of course wait until you actually start to see games you are interested in. A lot of Wii U owners which consoles collect dust.

Based on the line up I personally don´t find a must title in the launch game line up for either PS 4 or Xbox One. It would be some of the new IPs then :)

Jun 22, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #145 of 1,094
Quote:

Bethesda is really, really loving the PS4. Fallout 4 is sure to be on the PS4, maybe even before the xbox one.

The PS4 is insanely easy to program for compared to any of the last gen consoles. I don't think this generation will have any of the problems the last one did
tongue.gif

Jun 22, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #146 of 1,094
Have always wished for an Xbox because I can integrate my windows phone with it through Xbox smartglas However when they announces that xbox one had the DRM and always on I was disappointed.

nut luckily Microsoft have announced that they will remove it again

Jun 23, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #147 of 1,094
Quote:
Once we see some good 4K displays (probably once the OLED ones launch in a couple of years) I will be upgrading to one of them and will need a new card to handle that.
Well as I said, I have my PC hooked up to my main TV. For a lot of games, I'm just using a wireless 360 controller and Steam's "big picture" mode, so it's essentially a console experience, without the performance drawbacks.

If you mean integrated graphics, as if on a single chip, then yes.
If you mean integrated as a weak CPU integrated GFX, then I think the modified HD7870 in the PS4 disagrees...

Jun 23, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #149 of 1,094
My original 360 had the RROD and I've stayed away from Xbox since then. It's too bad because I do prefer the Xbox's controller and UI. I'll most likely go PS4, but I'm planning to wait a while before purchasing. There are never enough games in the library during the first year of a game console. I'll probably wait for a price drop and a handfull of games I'm interested in to come out. I've still got plenty of games to go through in the current gen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back