PS4 vs XBOX ONE (What would you buy and why? No fanboy like comments please)
Mar 24, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #826 of 1,094
  Even better, the X360 "exclusives" that would interest me the most are... ports of Japanese arcade games, like Shmups and Tetris Grand Master (hence the quoting). Of course, they're almost all Japan-only and region locked, so I would have to import an NTSC-J console or mod one from the beginning. :-/

Dodonpachi is not region locked though if your into shmups. Though I read somewhere you made need an old xbox or something. I know you can get soukygurentai on PS3 with no region problems.

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #827 of 1,094
Yo,

I don't know if anyone has tried, but USB DAC's work on the PS4 from the USB outputs. The PS4 see's the DAC as a headphone. I tried with my Headstreamer and V800, both worked great. In fact it sounds cleaner than using optical.

Mar 25, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #828 of 1,094
Yo,

I don't know if anyone has tried, but USB DAC's work on the PS4 from the USB outputs. The PS4 see's the DAC as a headphone. I tried with my Headstreamer and V800, both worked great. In fact it sounds cleaner than using optical.

What???!!! That's great news.
So can we like use DSD USB DACs with it or maybe just regular ones for music.
Will a USB capable Dolby Headphone DAC work?
This would be a great advantage for some, as it'd enable the manufacturers to make some USB DACs or some users to use these.
Could be a significant advantage over the One if it can't do that...

Mar 25, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #829 of 1,094
Indeed. It works perfectly fine, though the Headstreamer is quite as it lacks a physical potentiometer. I tried with the Audioengine D1 and DragonFly. Both worked great. The Headstreamer and DragonFly didn't get that loud though. Skip running from optical, this method is way better. Pair the PS4 with a good USB DAC and you're in the money.

USB will only output stereo of course but a Dolby DAC would work, you just won't have a 5.1 or 7.1 signal being fed to the DAC.

So using the Schiit Modi/Magni is a reality on this bad boy. I haven't tested it myself, but I believe it will work. All USB DAC's should work fine.

Right now I have my V200 and V800 next to my PS4 and I was using it while playing Infamous. The V800+V200 gets loud as hell and sounds darned good.

Mar 25, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #830 of 1,094
  Indeed. It works perfectly fine, though the Headstreamer is quite as it lacks a physical potentiometer. I tried with the Audioengine D1 and DragonFly. Both worked great. The Headstreamer and DragonFly didn't get that loud though. Skip running from optical, this method is way better. Pair the PS4 with a good USB DAC and you're in the money.

USB will only output stereo of course but a Dolby DAC would work, you just won't have a 5.1 or 7.1 signal being fed to the DAC.

So using the Schiit Modi/Magni is a reality on this bad boy. I haven't tested it myself, but I believe it will work. All USB DAC's should work fine.

Right now I have my V200 and V800 next to my PS4 and I was using it while playing Infamous. The V800+V200 gets loud as hell and sounds darned good.

Have you tried watching a blue ray film through your dac..if so, did you get sound?

Mar 25, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #831 of 1,094
Pretty sure the usb sound output is as generic as can be. Probably 16bit/44khz. The ps4 won't read what it is, or allow the devices drivers to be installed. It will de I ault to geberic sound drivers.

Wisest choice would be using a dac with an optical input, for those that are against gaming devices.

Mar 25, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #832 of 1,094

Have you tried watching a blue ray film through your dac..if so, did you get sound?

Hey,

Yes, audio output works perfectly fine. I watched Underworld 2 and The Wolfman. I got sound from both. Even though The Wolfman was outputting in DTS, the Headstreamer still decoded it fine, though I recommend LPCM output for this.

I believe the PS4 uses a generic driver, like Windows. It does sound really good though. I get 44k, 48k, and 96k (on Nordic Sound Blu-Ray). 

Try it before you knock it. I can't stress it enough that an amp is essential when using a DAC with no physical POT. The Headstreamer is quite while the V800 is loud.

Mar 27, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #834 of 1,094

Hey,

Yes, audio output works perfectly fine. I watched Underworld 2 and The Wolfman. I got sound from both. Even though The Wolfman was outputting in DTS, the Headstreamer still decoded it fine, though I recommend LPCM output for this.

I believe the PS4 uses a generic driver, like Windows. It does sound really good though. I get 44k, 48k, and 96k (on Nordic Sound Blu-Ray). 

Try it before you knock it. I can't stress it enough that an amp is essential when using a DAC with no physical POT. The Headstreamer is quite while the V800 is loud.

Got myself a ps4 today, it came with infamous second son..everything works fine with my dac..I am impressed with the ps4..it's simple to use..good graphics and sound and the controllers rechargeable.. p.s called mrmartinvegas on psn if anyone wants to add me!

Apr 20, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #836 of 1,094
I love my PS4 and its hardware power.  I already owned a Vita so it made sense as well.  The controller is most of what swayed me.  The 1080p vs 900p of the xbox one doesn't really matter to me since I normally play on a 720p tv.    

Apr 20, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #837 of 1,094
  I love my PS4 and its hardware power.  I already owned a Vita so it made sense as well.  The controller is most of what swayed me.  The 1080p vs 900p of the xbox one doesn't really matter to me since I normally play on a 720p tv.    

LOL. You're missing out on all the wonders of Full HD!

Apr 20, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #839 of 1,094
  Haha.  Hooked it up to my 1080p computer monitor via a HDMI-DVI adapter and used the optical out to use my HD800s with it.  Can't really tell much if any difference.  

LOL. Well, "good for you!" 
wink.gif

'Least you aren't swayed by FHD or UHD...unlike my dad who bought a 55-inch 4K smart TV which isn't really 'smart' in the general sense. Thanks to the now-massive screen size, I can't play on the HTPC properly anymore. Thanks Dad.

Apr 21, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #840 of 1,094
  LOL. Well, "good for you!" 
wink.gif

'Least you aren't swayed by FHD or UHD...unlike my dad who bought a 55-inch 4K smart TV which isn't really 'smart' in the general sense. Thanks to the now-massive screen size, I can't play on the HTPC properly anymore. Thanks Dad.

Haha that's hilarious.  I had a guy at best buy try and sell me a 4K tv, but I asked him if he thought content providers will ever have the bandwidth to be able to broadcast 4k, and he said quietly "no, but that's not really a selling point"  It's really cool if you have a 4k camcorder though.  I'm sure it's putting a HTPC through the wringer though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back