PS4 vs XBOX ONE (What would you buy and why? No fanboy like comments please)
Jun 25, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #181 of 1,094
Quote:
I am also ambidextrous...
And I prefer the PS3 controller...
Beats me then 
wink.gif

We should perform a world-wise survey on this XD

Jun 26, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #182 of 1,094
A regular GTX 680 is 3.09 teraflops.

According to review sites, the 680m is the same as the 580 in power... If that's true, its only 1.51 teraflops.

Quote:
It's not a 2:1 ratio now, but AMD's numbers are always quite a bit higher than Nvidia's for the same level of gaming performance.

This does make ATI work insanely well for professional use, like in CAD software and etc. Nvidia just doesn't work at all with CAD at higher FPS. So, really, we don't want this ration to be falling. That mean's ATI is losing its ability as a professional graphics card. Unless its Nvidia getting better, which would also be good, but mostly pointless as they don't need can't to aim at professional software unless they had a huge jump in flops.

Jun 26, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #183 of 1,094
It's worked incredibly well with everything I've ran at it at near max, give or take some Anti-aliasing. Even BF3 runs at mostly 60fps near all max.

Jun 26, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #184 of 1,094
Well 1.5 teraflops is nothing to sneeze at at all. Its why I'm not concerned about next generation graphics at all. At how high this next generation is, I don't even know if we'll be able to come up with something the PS4 won't be able to handle... Well, except SkyFilm.

Jun 30, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #186 of 1,094
Quote:
Several of my friends who prefer the ps controller are either left handed or ambidextrous. Don't know why there is such a correlation but anyways...

Something strange to note here, Less then 0.7% of Japan is left handed, yet they all prefer the playstation to xbox :p

On the other hand, 13% of Canada is left handed, and the PS3 almost sold double there compared to the Xbox 360.

Jun 30, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #187 of 1,094
Several of my friends who prefer the ps controller are either left handed or ambidextrous. Don't know why there is such a correlation but anyways...

Something strange to note here, Less then 0.7% of Japan is left handed, yet they all prefer the playstation to xbox :p

On the other hand, 13% of Canada is left handed, and the PS3 almost sold double there compared to the Xbox 360.

For the record, I am left-handed and do prefer the PS-style controller over the XB-style controller. Though I think this has more to do with the fact that most games I play use the digital joypad more than the analog thumbstick (Katamari Damacy was the most analog thumbstick intensive game I played). And I think it also has to do with the PS-style controller being around longer (it's based off the SNES controller).

However, I think console sales depend more on its games than its controllers. The PS3 doing much better than the X360 in Canada is in line with a recent article Ars Technica did on sales of 7th-generation consoles around the world. In the UK and the US, the X360 will pass the Wii soon in total consoles sold while the PS3 is lagging. But in Japan and the rest of the world, the PS3 is right behind the Wii in sales while the X360 is the one far behind. Obviously, people in different areas of the world will have different tastes and the sales will reflect that. The amusing thing is despite the global success of the Wii compared to the regional successes of the PS3 and X360, when it comes to their successors the WiiU tends to get ignored while people debate the PS4 and XB1.

Jun 30, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #188 of 1,094
I've always seen Nintendo as a non-debateable issue. You're going to get the console at some point, because its Nintendo. The other consoles/PC are the one you have to decide between.

I really don't understand why the Xbox is so popular here in the US. The only thing it has is FPS games... Is that really the only genre most American gamers are willing to play? That makes me really sad, because they will never truly get to understand games as what they are (and that goes for playing any single genre).

Jun 30, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #189 of 1,094
Quote:
I've always seen Nintendo as a non-debateable issue. You're going to get the console at some point, because its Nintendo. The other consoles/PC are the one you have to decide between.

I really don't understand why the Xbox is so popular here in the US. The only thing it has is FPS games... Is that really the only genre most American gamers are willing to play? That makes me really sad, because they will never truly get to understand games as what they are (and that goes for playing any single genre).

I guess its a bit of nationalism as well. The same way Asian (well mostly Japan anyway) folks wont buy a foreign (Microsoft) console, the Americans buy their national console as well, although to a lesser extent (there are still some PS/WII consoles sold in the US, whereas in Japan the X360 number is close to none)
I think the games come as the 2nd criteria and I guess US prefers shooting or just dont like the PS exclusives (duh! I like them) 

I do share the same view as you though, I think the Sony console offers a better mixture of exclusives (now adding new IPs and Indie games into the mix as well)

Saying that, I owned the Xbox 360 first but then bought the PS3 the day it came out and never returned to the Xbox again (save for an occasional Kinect fun game)

With the next gen, I am getting the PS4 first and willl see if the XBONE offers any benefits later...

Jun 30, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #190 of 1,094
Of what I have heard from friends, it might also have a lot to do with them feeling the sony network can't be trusted, and that the online multiplayer just isn't as good. Though, that pretty much returns to being they only use it for FPS games...

Jun 30, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #191 of 1,094
Quote:
Of what I have heard from friends, it might also have a lot to do with them feeling the sony network can't be trusted, and that the online multiplayer just isn't as good. Though, that pretty much returns to being they only use it for FPS games...

What? Their network is pretty good IMO.
The first year or two it was definitely unstable and underwhelming but I dont find any issues with it lately.
Save for the occasional maintenance, its running nicely

Jun 30, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #192 of 1,094

I guess its a bit of nationalism as well. The same way Asian (well mostly Japan anyway) folks wont buy a foreign (Microsoft) console, the Americans buy their national console as well, although to a lesser extent (there are still some PS/WII consoles sold in the US, whereas in Japan the X360 number is close to none)
I think the games come as the 2nd criteria and I guess US prefers shooting or just dont like the PS exclusives (duh! I like them)

I do share the same view as you though, I think the Sony console offers a better mixture of exclusives (now adding new IPs and Indie games into the mix as well)

Saying that, I owned the Xbox 360 first but then bought the PS3 the day it came out and never returned to the Xbox again (save for an occasional Kinect fun game)

With the next gen, I am getting the PS4 first and willl see if the XBONE offers any benefits later...

Medal of Duty: Modern Battlefield!

It does seem the FPS genre is very popular in the US. The first XBox had Halo, which elevated the FPS genre on consoles so I'm guessing there's some loyalty there as the series has been a Microsoft exclusive. And even before that, many popular PC games in the US were FPS games (Alien vs. Predator, CounterStrike, Quake, etc.). Also, games with a first person view / quasi-FPS games (the newer Fallout games) tend to be big. I think the general American opinion is that the first person view is awesome because it's more immersive/realistic/"you are the character". Oh.. and there's the realistic shooting and gore.

I do feel sad as well, not only because the rampant popularity of FPS games here has pushed other genres out a bit (SRPGs, fighters, and shoot-em-ups are now niche genres; yet another reason why I import) but because it's an easy target for game companies looking for a quick buck (lowering game quality and getting people used to that level is not good for the future of games).

As for the nationalism part, I think that's only a small part of it. The Wii is neck-and-neck with the X360 in the US. I think Microsoft doesn't really understand how to appeal to the Japanese, both developers and gamers. It's not like Microsoft hasn't been trying, but I they've been going with a "one-size-fits-all" mentality and they're not understanding why it's not working. For example, physical copies of games are a big thing in the Japanese market (limited edition releases with all those bonus physical goodies is common standard). The original XB1 sales model spits in the face of that. Nintendo and Sony also have a bit more experience in adapting to foreign game markets since they've been in the game (horrid pun, I know) longer.

Jun 30, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #193 of 1,094
Something I find funny, is that "X1" (which is what the gamers in Japan are calling it), when said outloud in Japanese, is pronounced the same as the word for "getting divorced."
tongue.gif

Jul 1, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #195 of 1,094

Users who are viewing this thread

Back