PS4 and new Headset?
Nov 26, 2013 at 9:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

jmy2469

New Head-Fier
I own the Turtle Beach PX5 headset, while that was great for the Xbox and PS3, I want to get something that sounds better and a little more higher end than PX5's. I am not on any type of budget,so I will spend the money if I need to. I am open to all options. What can I take a look at? Thanks for the help. 

Nov 27, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #2 of 28
Mixamp pro and a good set of headphones is about the best setup up right now. There are so many headphones that are excellent with Dolby Headphone. Some need extra amp headroom some don't. 

Mixamp pro + Sony MA900 +ModMic or Dealextremes mic, is the best middle of the road setup right now. If you want more bass then Phillips X1, or DT990 or DT770 if you need closed. 

You can go completely nuts if you want with a high end amp and a pair Sennhieser HD800 if you really wanted to.

It really comes down to what you want to spend. 

Nov 27, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #3 of 28
Hailin, thnks for the reply. This higher end headset stuff is all new to me, I am used to taking headset out of package and just hooking it up and using it. Dont want to go completely nuts,but want something better than what I have. What are some of the headphones that do not need an amp? Thanks for the help

Nov 27, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #4 of 28
Headphones that don't need an amp:
Sony MA900 
Phillips X1
Koss Portapros
Koss KSC75
Creative Aurvana Live!

IF you don't want to supply your own mic:
Sennheiser PC360
Beyerdynamic MMX300

This is just a starter list of headphones that will work with out a headphone amp. I would still look at get some sort of mixamp for headphone surround. Whether it is a Mixamp Pro, Creative Recon3D USB THX, or Turtle Beach DSS(won't have mic access from DSS).

If you get a 4pole pc adapter you can also plug right into the Dual Shock 4 for stereo sound. The USB inputs will also allow stereo mixing. 

Nov 27, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #5 of 28
Like I said, I am totally open to all suggestions and want to get the best sound possible. If getting an amp and decent set of headphones are the way to go, then that is what I am going to do. And I will need a mic.This stuff is al new to me. Thanks again. John 

Nov 27, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #6 of 28
Ok I would start with this. 

http://www.amazon.com/ASTRO-Gaming-MixAmp-Pro-Kit-Xbox/dp/B004L6C6BK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385586164&sr=8-1&keywords=astro+mixamp

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRMA900-Over-Style-Headphones/dp/B007DCCK60/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385586598&sr=8-1&keywords=Sony+MA900

http://www.modmic.com/

Get those three things and it will either start an addiction you can't stop till you run out of money or you will be so satisfied you will stop right there. MAKE sure you upgrade the firmware from the Astro forums right away or you may have chat issues on the ps4. It may come with the latest firmware I don't know.  

Honestly I don't think you will need to upgrade for years until consoles stop supporting Dolby which I just don't see happening. 

Astro may release a new mixamp this year but I highly doubt it. They are more of a 2 year release company.

Nov 27, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #7 of 28
The thing that drives me nuts with the PX5,is batteries! I have rechargables,nothing like being in the middle of a game and batteries going dead! Thanks for the link! I am going to do this. 

Nov 27, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #9 of 28
You run USB and optical to the PS4 from the mix amp. Then from the mixamp you run the pc splitter which is included in the astro kit to your mic and headphones. I believe there is a diagram on the astro site for reference and it includes instructions. Only extra thing I would get is a longer stronger optical but you don't have to right away. That I would get from monoprice.

Nov 27, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #10 of 28
Awesome! Pretty simple! I just wanted to know because I am going to pick up the same set up for a friend who is,how can I say, not too tech savy, lol! Thanks again! Can't wait to get everything now. 

Nov 27, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #11 of 28
You're most welcome and enjoy your new setup. 

Nov 27, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #13 of 28
I use the PC360 wired headset as my primary setup. I get Dolby Headphone processing with my Marantz AVR.

I also own a Astro A50 wireless headset which sounds just as good as the BEST wired headsets Ive owned. Only downsides are they are a little bass heavy, and wireless=charging batteries.

I did own the PX5 for all of 1 hour. I couldnt stand the chat quality running over Bluetooth. I took them back and got the A50's, which dont use BT for chat and sounds 100x better.

Im actually using my A50s right now for my PS4 because they are the only headset that works right.

Nov 28, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #14 of 28
I also own a Astro A50 wireless headset which sounds just as good as the BEST wired headsets Ive owned.

You must've owned some pretty mediocre headsets. The PLYR1 would probably blow your mind.

Nov 28, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #15 of 28
You must've owned some pretty mediocre headsets. The PLYR1 would probably blow your mind.

Haha..somehow I doubt that. I wouldn't really call the PC360 mediocre by any stretch as a true gaming headset, but I have seen your review, so I know how you stand on them.

Anyway, never tried the Plyr 1, but it looks like an A50 clone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back