PS4 and new Headset?
Nov 28, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #16 of 28
You run USB and optical to the PS4 from the mix amp. Then from the mixamp you run the pc splitter which is included in the astro kit to your mic and headphones. I believe there is a diagram on the astro site for reference and it includes instructions. Only extra thing I would get is a longer stronger optical but you don't have to right away. That I would get from monoprice.

Would this also work with the Turtle Beach DSS1? I would be able to get one for a very good price.

Nov 28, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #17 of 28
  Would this also work with the Turtle Beach DSS1? I would be able to get one for a very good price.

It will work. But you don't won't have a mic. Unless you have a Turtle Beach DSS1 compatible headset. 

Nov 28, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #19 of 28
No it can't on the DSS1 because the DSS1 uses usb to the headset itself for chat. 

Nov 28, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #21 of 28
Haha..somehow I doubt that. I wouldn't really call the PC360 mediocre by any stretch as a true gaming headset, but I have seen your review, so I know how you stand on them.

Anyway, never tried the Plyr 1, but it looks like an A50 clone.

They sound nothing alike. The Plyr is not as overblown in the bass department, and sounds more balanced. A better gaming headset than the A50 by a considerable margin.

Nov 28, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #22 of 28
As far as I know Neo it has to be a Turtle Beach headset no way around it sorry. 

Yet the Plyr series was developed by Astro. Maybe they will take what they have learned and apply it to the A60. After looking at the Steelseries H9 wireless though Astro needs to seriously up there game in the looks department for the TX units.

Nov 28, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #23 of 28
Thanks Hailin, this leaves only the Mixamp or Sony patches the audio options. 

Regarding the Mixamp will all version with USB chat work? I have read of problems with the 2011 version?

TIA

Nov 28, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #24 of 28
The PLYR was developed by Skullcandy with the aid of Astro. It's not an Astro product, nor does it sound like an A40 or A50. Hell, the wireless signal is better on the Plyr than the A50.

Nov 28, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #25 of 28
  Thanks Hailin, this leaves only the Mixamp or Sony patches the audio options. 

Regarding the Mixamp will all version with USB chat work? I have read of problems with the 2011 version?

TIA

There is a fix involving a Turtle Beach PS4 chat cable. But yes out of the box the 2011 version is not working. 

The 2013 with the latest patch does work.  

Nov 28, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #26 of 28
The PLYR was developed by Skullcandy with the aid of Astro. It's not an Astro product, nor does it sound like an A40 or A50. Hell, the wireless signal is better on the Plyr than the A50.

They sound nothing alike. The Plyr is not as overblown in the bass department, and sounds more balanced. A better gaming headset than the A50 by a considerable margin.

The PLYR wast around when I purchased my A50. From the specs it looks like a clone for half the price, which is a good thing! I agree the A50 is bass heavy for the most part, but it depends on the game really...Playing MW3 with the A50s was difficult. There was a ton of background "explosions" where the bass would sometimes overpower everything else, making it hard to hear enemies. On the other hand, with CoD Ghosts, the A50s work great. There isnt a ton of other noise going on to distract you. I can hear things when I need to, and the extra bass doesnt "hide" anything. In fact, the A50s are more enjoyable/fun to use with CoD Ghosts than my PC360, which are very neutral.

One thing I dont get is the wireless signal claim. What exactly do you mean by "better wireless signal"? If you're talking range I can go to my fridge, bathroom, and couch with the A50, which is all thats needed IMO.:)

Nov 28, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #27 of 28
Meaning that I get zero/zip/no random pops, drops, hiss, or anything. The PLYR1's wireless transmission is absolutely perfect. The A50's had some hiss at high volumes.

Again, not a clone. SC used their own engineers.

Nov 30, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #28 of 28
Meaning that I get zero/zip/no random pops, drops, hiss, or anything. The PLYR1's wireless transmission is absolutely perfect. The A50's had some hiss at high volumes.

Again, not a clone. SC used their own engineers.

Hmm, Ive never had any noise issues with the A50s. Not even once. They have been perfect. No hiss at all.

When I say "clone" Im simply referring to the features and specs. I dont care about who made them. They both perform the same function in the same way from what I can tell. Yes they are cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back