PS4 and FLAC/ALAC playback
Oct 31, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #16 of 26
lol ok so forget FLAC/ALAC, the ps4 apparently won't even play CDs or MP3s. source: http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/31/playstation-4-audio-game-install-details/

but people are not happy so they might re-consider. i wouldn't bet on flac/alac support though, at best they'll bring back cd/mp3 support

Oct 31, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #17 of 26
Well thats worse than I originally imagined... Even worse than the PS Vita.  I'm disappointed to hear that the ps4 won't have any media center functionality whatsoever. I guess I shouldn't be so quick to get rid of my ps3 in that case.

Oct 31, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #18 of 26
But WHY??? I always though the redbook audio support was a part of the Blu-Ray specs...?

Nov 1, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #20 of 26
I cancelled my PS4 preorder. Well played Sony. They think we are dumb enough to let down MP3 for ATTRAC.. Fail. Then they force us to use an iTune like prioritary interface for their walkman... Fail. Then they do this. Cmon Sony you think consumers are dumb enough? Not everyone buy apple overpriced stuff...

Nov 2, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #21 of 26
Really doubt the PS4 supporting ALAC as that is Apples version of FLAC. As we all know that Apple patents anything owned or made by them or else they will sue you.

Nov 2, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #22 of 26
  lol ok so forget FLAC/ALAC, the ps4 apparently won't even play CDs or MP3s. source: http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/31/playstation-4-audio-game-install-details/

but people are not happy so they might re-consider. i wouldn't bet on flac/alac support though, at best they'll bring back cd/mp3 support

Say what? Did Sony just shoot themselves in the foot?

Regardless of that doesn't affect me one bit as I owned an SACD and CD transport, but I can see how this will impact those buying it as media/music streamers.

Nov 2, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #23 of 26
  Say what? Did Sony just shoot themselves in the foot?

Regardless of that doesn't affect me one bit as I owned an SACD and CD transport, but I can see how this will impact those buying it as media/music streamers.

Its not really going to effect anyone too much, its just that it was nice to be able to use a ps3 as a source using DLNA and transcoding software, for convenience if nothing else.  To be honest though, something like a western digital streamer is so cheap that it doesn't really matter.  The ps3 never supported any formats that mattered anyway, and it seems like Sony is moving in the wrong direction again.  That being said, I agree it would be ridiculous for someone to cancel a pre-order of a gaming console because its media capabilities are questionable.

Nov 5, 2013 at 5:16 AM Post #25 of 26
I canceled my preorder because there is no game I want in the line up. Also, PS3 is now blocked to play .avi from movies you downloaded... PS4 will be the same. No flac, no mp3... No Drivers Club... No Watch Dogs/The Crew... That's ridiculous to critize why one individual wants to cancel it's preorder. I'm no fanboy, I won't get the X1 either. PS3 is just fine for me. GT6 is coming. Peace.

Nov 12, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #26 of 26
ok, it seems like mp3 and cd support will indeed be coming (after user complaints i think), in a post-launch software patch. source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-12-sony-is-working-to-add-mp3-and-cd-support-to-the-ps4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back