PS4 and FLAC/ALAC playback
Oct 18, 2013 at 11:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

ec888

New Head-Fier
Do you think the PS4 will support FLAC and ALAC audio files playback? I currently use the PS3 but it is only missing lossless format, otherwise it is great as transport.

Oct 18, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #2 of 26
Unless the specs are released/leaked, it is impossible for us to know for sure until the device is released. It could go either way IMO as Sony does like to change up audio support. See the ps3 for example, the original model supported sacd but was taken out in the slim revision

Oct 19, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #3 of 26
SACD as well as DVD audio are royalty appliable codecs.
FLAC means free lossless audio codec...
If Sony is not dumb, it will play FLAC, as we are in 2013/2014 and even the new sony walkmans are beginning to play FLACS..
Lets hope. I have my PS4 that should arrive on day one!

Oct 23, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #5 of 26
The PS3 can play WAV, So I  assume the PS4 will also. But FLAC I doubt it just based on how they treated DSD and SACD support on the console.

Oct 23, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #6 of 26
Idk man, my PS3 sure plays SACDs and FLACs. The only trouble I have is that 5.1 tracks (FLAC) sometimes work and well other times, no audio but the time moves and songs change. Havent tried ALAC surely it works though.

Oct 23, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #8 of 26
I forgot to specify but I was interested in HD lossless audio files support, such as 24/96 or even 24/192; I have to admit I did not try 16/44 FLAC though. SACD was only supported by one of the early or special model I think. For those who will get a PS4, I would appreciate to hear from you when you get a chance to try it!

Update: I tried a track in FLAC and ALAC, both in 16/44.1 and 24/44.1; the PS3 cannot play any ALAC files, and did not even recognized any .FLAC; so crossing fingers for PS4 to support them all!

Oct 26, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #11 of 26
Given the limited format support on the Vita, I'm not expecting the PS4 to be much better.  We're probably gonna need to run transcoding software again just like the ps3, so maybe ps3 media server will become ps4 media server after the 15th, lol.  The Vita doesn't even support DLNA streaming at the moment, even though its obvious it can.  I'm hoping the ps4 has better codec support too, but I'm not holding my breath waiting.

Oct 27, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #13 of 26
  If you want to support lossless audio on your TV or home theater system, buy a Dune box :wink:. My HD Smart D1 plays FLAC flawlessly with bitstreamed HDMI output.

I was looking at the PS4 to replace PS3 or add Pioneer Elite N-30. I am not familiar with the Dune products, they seem very capable and decently priced, thanks for suggesting that!

Oct 27, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #14 of 26
  Do you think the PS4 will support FLAC and ALAC audio files playback? I currently use the PS3 but it is only missing lossless format, otherwise it is great as transport.

Have you tried updating your PS3 to the latest firmware, just in case Sony add FLAC support?

Or converted your FLAC/ALACs to 320Kbps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back