PS3 Owners... happy with purchase?
Jan 8, 2007 at 3:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

archosman

Songs From The Crystal Cave
Now that they're becoming more available I'm thinking about picking one up. What's you're opinion? Are you happy? Problems? Speak up!
icon10.gif

Jan 8, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #3 of 35
The salesman at Circuit City says no one's buying them at the moment. Probably due to cost...

Jan 8, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #4 of 35
As a Wii owner myself I finally got the chance to mess with a PS3 for multiple hours last weekend. A friend of mine brought his PS3 over with about 5 games and 3 Blu-Ray movies.

I'll have to say I had a good time playing with the PS3. My only main complaint was the one I expected... it felt like a PS2/XBox/etc with better graphics. Considerably better graphics (1080i CRT HD TV) but Tony Hawk was Tony Hawk. Resistance had amazing graphics, Ridge Racer was an entertaining drift based driving game, Full Auto 2 was a blast with a couple players... but we still seemed to go back to playing Bowling, Tennis, and ExciteTruck on the Wii. There's just something about 4 semi-drunk adults jumping around in front of a TV swinging remotes in the air.

The Blu-Ray player, on the other hand, was incredible. The uncompressed sound on those discs and the HD video are wonderful. Shannyn Sossamon never looked so good in 'A Nights Tale'.

Jan 8, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #6 of 35
The Best Buy and circuit city has them. Picked up the 60 gig today...

Jan 8, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #7 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Actual /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are they available in stores yet? I might buy one eventually, but right now I just don't have enough time that I want to watch movies or play video games.

What are the good games out now or that you are looking forward to?

Resistance: Fall of Man is their big launch title. They have a demo available for download on their website, you can check it out if you have a PS3. The other title that people are raving about is "Fight Night".

I am going to wait for reviews of F.E.A.R. and Virtua Fighter 5 that come out in February before I buy one.

Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, Devil May Cry should help sell some PS3s when they come out. Not sure when that will be, though.

It will be interesting to see if Sony releases a controller and games similar to the Wii to take advantage of their ability to do the same thing.

Jan 8, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #8 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Actual /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are they available in stores yet?

My local Gamestop had them the last time I visited. They seem to be easier to get than the Wii at the moment. I'm still not really interested until they start releasing some well-rated RPGs.

Jan 9, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #9 of 35
I was kind of surprised when I went to Future Shop on the W/E and saw four 60 gig PS3's and one open box 20 gig sitting on the shelf and only two 360 premiums available...

Jan 9, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #10 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was kind of surprised when I went to Future Shop on the W/E and saw four 60 gig PS3's and one open box 20 gig sitting on the shelf and only two 360 premiums available...

Before Christmas Xbox 360s were everywhere. I actually thought about buying one and getting an HD add-on.

I think Sony must have delivered a second batch just after Christmas (Great timing..huh?) because there were none to be found until just recently. Also, my 60GB PS3 did not have Talledaga Nights in it, so I believe that means it was not from the first batch.

Jan 9, 2007 at 2:59 AM Post #13 of 35
Love mine so far, only thing is there is lack of games, waiting till motorstorm comes out, for now resistance will keep me occupied. I also bought some ps2 games soul calibour 3, the getaway (paid $3.50 for it), devil may cry collectors includes 1,2,3 dantes awakening se (I did not like the devil may cry series so much, felt like ninja gaiden with ghetto graphics), Final fantasy 12, there is a sale going to pick up ridge racer 7. I have some games from when I had my ps1, crash bandicoot3, Final fantasy tactics, 7,8,9. I want to pick up metal gear solid 3 sustenance.
Playback works fine for me, some people complain that 480i games looks crappy on it some jaggies issues, I never had the ps2 so I couldn't tell, I gave my ps1 away a long time ago but I was not going to let go my final fantasy games.
Love having not to buy memory card media, I have enjoyed some of the demos, F1, motorstorm, and gran turismo HD. Things I dislike is that it doesn't multi task aka download a game and play a game at same time, I made dust an enemy of mine since it's the only thing that attracts a lot of dust, some of the dust attraction is a little exaggerated, I keep mine in the open, not crammed near a receiver.
One thing to add is I did not miss the rumble feature that much, it does add to the experience, the controls are light but I feel they are better built than the ps2 controller, I rate PS1 controller than PS3, then 2, I like the weight of the ps1 controller with the rumble, I think it plays better with fighting games.
Another thing to note is I had some issues with my ps1 controller when I had some issues when it came to connecting, the dual shocks would disengaged, overtime ps1 controller cables would go bad, source was where the cable and the connector met. This is a non issue with the ps3, run it once with the cable charge the bad boy up and your set. I did a 20min charge lasted me 2 weeks. I do love my system. I do like the 360 but I don't plan to pick one up till they do the system revision, they leaked some pictures of a fully working unit codename zephyr instead on xenon like the original. This one spots HDMI with true 1080p resolution, shrink ed processor to 64nm and a 120gb hard drive.
I had some pc issues last week, plugged in my usb keyboard and mouse and was surfing the web in no time. All Sony needs is a little time to adjust the software design and how things work, in a year or so it will be unstoppable, Microsoft had some of these issues, when it came out it couldn't download and play games, it also has some annoying issues.

One good question, I bought a 2yr warranty a best buy for $100, I returned it, do you think I should put the warranty back on? Some people tell me it's not worth it since the console has 1yr warranty and consoles usually go bad after 2nd year of ownership with the exception of the 360.

Jan 9, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #14 of 35
I got to see Resistance: Fall of Man game play yesterday, my nephew plays on an LCD HD set. It did look good(I need to calibrate it tho) but I've read that the XBox 360 looks better.

I won't be buying either any time soon.

Jan 9, 2007 at 5:53 AM Post #15 of 35
It's only a game machine; no need to spend that much on a gimped PC and drain your life away on the couch even more. But that's just me.

I toyed around with it on a demo @ CC a few times, and I must say the graphics were honestly bad. It was that racing dirt game; dunno what it was called. But...ugh, looked like no AA, bump-mapping, etc. Expected MUCH more from a bragging system of power.

The only powerful thing in there is the chip, and it's being totally bottlenecked by everything else under that hood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back