PS2 or PSP?
Dec 4, 2005 at 7:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Head Creep

Headphoneus Supremus
I've decided to give my headphone-related purchases a rest and shop for another form of entertainment, video games. I already have an Xbox, but there's just no games that I want to play for it, plus I miss a few series' from my PSX days (Time Crisis and Tekken, most notably). PS2 systems are quite affordable right now, so I could get much more for my money (under $400) than I could with a PSP. But the PSP's portable, should have production life past that of the PS2, and is just damn swanky. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Dec 4, 2005 at 7:13 PM Post #2 of 18
PS2 without a doubt. Games are cheap, and title library is great. Besides most psps games are just ports/variations of ps2 games anyway. I had a psp, and sold it. Never looked back.

Dec 4, 2005 at 7:40 PM Post #3 of 18
I say go with the PS2 for sure. I just picked one up for the first time on Black Friday, and I have had an Xbox and Gamecube for a few years too. You have countless amazing games on PS2 to play, and the software is only going to get cheaper with the new generation coming on. Plus, the PSP only has a few must-have games that make the system worth owning, IMO, while the PS2 has too many to count, especially when the new slimmer and smaller PS2 is only $149. Also, there's the large collection of Greatest Hits, including Final Fantasy X, which is my next purchase, that are only $19.99 each.

*Also, Toys-R-Us is running a sale for the greatest hits games on all systems where you get any 2 games that are $19.99 each for $29.99.

Dec 4, 2005 at 8:25 PM Post #5 of 18
Portable? Nintendo DS - so many great games for the DS right now.

Have you considered a gamecube? the cheapest and now with a solid catalog at the end of its life. - Resident Evil 4, Mario Baseball, Metroid Prime etc.

PS2 is great - Katamari and Shadow of Colossus are worth the price of admission alone.

Dec 4, 2005 at 8:53 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepkyng
Portable? Nintendo DS - so many great games for the DS right now.

You know, I never even thought about Nintendo's portables. I'm now thinking about picking up a GB Micro and few games (it's a pretty damn good price, plus the retro Famicom design comes out today or tomorrow). I'll put off the PS2 until after the new year, when Christmas shopping is over and I can throw down the money without thinking twice.

Dec 4, 2005 at 9:39 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Creep
You know, I never even thought about Nintendo's portables. I'm now thinking about picking up a GB Micro and few games (it's a pretty damn good price, plus the retro Famicom design comes out today or tomorrow). I'll put off the PS2 until after the new year, when Christmas shopping is over and I can throw down the money without thinking twice.

I've always been a bit of tecnofreak myself, so I thought I would buy the PSP straight away. It was a bit on the bulkie side and more "transportable" tan real portable. The DS has very good games (Although GTA and Burnout for PSP are both amazing) but it is a bit bulky and plastiky and the stylus concept (which can be great at home) can be so-so on the move.

Now consider the GBA micro. Small (think small cell phone), stylish (see it in person), luxurious (touch the solid metalic feel kind of Nokia 8910i), convenient (hours and hours of battery, crisp & ultrabright display, front cover can be replaced so scratches are less of a problem, one of the best game catalog in the history of videogames...).

I'm not a Nintendo shareholder or something, but I think the GBA micro is the ultimate portable console, no matter if the technology is a bit old. Having a GBA SP I thought it wasn't that good to have a micro too. How wrong I was.

Now, on the comic side you can take a look at the "real ultimate portable console". Well, this if you think that a Bose Triports made of gold and diamonds sounds better than the HE90.
icon10.gif

NT00001.jpg

You could buy almost four HE90s for the price of this thing. If you think it is worth it, then go for it

Dec 4, 2005 at 10:40 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad
Now consider the GBA micro. Small (think small cell phone), stylish (see it in person), luxurious (touch the solid metalic feel kind of Nokia 8910i), convenient (hours and hours of battery, crisp & ultrabright display, front cover can be replaced so scratches are less of a problem, one of the best game catalog in the history of videogames...).

That's exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for the input. I'm going to make a mall run on Tuesday (need reading material and possibly a few Christmas presents), so I'll pick up a Micro and a few games while I'm there.

Quote:

NT00001.jpg

That's straight up P.I.M.P. yo diggity. But if I had that kind of money, I wouldn't be spending it on a first-generation Game Boy.

Dec 4, 2005 at 11:17 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

That's exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for the input. I'm going to make a mall run on Tuesday (need reading material and possibly a few Christmas presents), so I'll pick up a Micro and a few games while I'm there.

To try it is to love it. I never thought it would be that good. It's exactly like to buy a new headphones with more detail/SQ. Suddently all your music sound so much better. Exactly the same with your old (or new, whatever) GBA games. You find yourself pretty much rediscovering them. And it is so practical and convenient...

Actually my brother just called me a few minutes ago. I did insist for him to try it (he had another GBA SP too). He did it. He ended buying it. He is saying now that it is almost like going from B&W games to Color ones.

Quote:

That's straight up P.I.M.P. yo diggity. But if I had that kind of money, I wouldn't be spending it on a first-generation Game Boy.

Obviously I was being ironic there. As I said, I was showing that as a comic note. Why somebody would cover on gold such an obsolete piece of hardware is beyond explanations. Well, Ok. Sure it was made when the GB was the latest thing, but now better to use that gold on some fine jewelry.

Dec 7, 2005 at 7:41 PM Post #12 of 18
I just wanted to bump this with an update. I bought myself a GameBoy Micro yesterday (Fry's didn't have the retro model, unfortunately), and it's slowly becoming my new best friend. IMO, $100 is well worth the greatness of having Worms World Party, one of the greatest games released on the Dreamcast, in my pocket. The PSP comes across as a luxurious gadget, the "I have 100 MP3s, Grand Theft Auto and the Paris Hilton video in my pocket" kind of deal (I know a guy with a PSP, and that's a very accurate description of how he speaks of it); the micro's a toy that does one thing, and does it very well. Paired up with the mobiBlu Cube and E2c's, I now have the ultimate size-doesn't-matter portable setup. Thanks for the advice, Nomad.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad
Obviously I was being ironic there. As I said, I was showing that as a comic note. Why somebody would cover on gold such an obsolete piece of hardware is beyond explanations. Well, Ok. Sure it was made when the GB was the latest thing, but now better to use that gold on some fine jewelry.

I realized that it was a joke, hence the over-the-top response. It's a little-known fact, but I speak jive.

Dec 7, 2005 at 11:35 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

the micro's a toy that does one thing, and does it very well. [...] Thanks for the advice, Nomad.

I wouldn't say it better.
icon10.gif

You are more than welcome. Enjoy!

Dec 8, 2005 at 12:04 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk
I saw the Micro at Target for $80 bucks!

Are you serious? I work right next to a Target, and I never even considered stopping in there. Maybe next time...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back