PS DirectStream vs EMM Dac2x vs Playback Design MPS 5
Mar 10, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #16 of 21
I read the review and based on that I can tell Emm Labs is still using their old data transmission paradigm, i.e., not packet data and no error correction. Also optical is obviously not the best interconnect given the additional encode and decode requirement, and issues associated with optical transmission (fiber is different due to packeted data and error correction on both ends). So given where things are I would think better quality optical cable would result in better sound - this is obviously an "analog" solution to a digital problem. Emm Labs needs to transition to either USB output or some network type output, all with error correction.

Jan 18, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #17 of 21
I read the review and based on that I can tell Emm Labs is still using their old data transmission paradigm, i.e., not packet data and no error correction. Also optical is obviously not the best interconnect given the additional encode and decode requirement, and issues associated with optical transmission (fiber is different due to packeted data and error correction on both ends). So given where things are I would think better quality optical cable would result in better sound - this is obviously an "analog" solution to a digital problem. Emm Labs needs to transition to either USB output or some network type output, all with error correction.
I've had the DA2 for a couple of years and stumbled on this old thread. From listening, and also comparing with other USB/network DACs, I would conclude that error correction is much less of an issue than galvanic isolation here. I tend to greatly prefer both optilink, and actually AES from NS1 streamer, than USB which carries much more noise. Various DCS DACS use ethernet, and honestly, it sounds pretty bad to my ears, and even less favorable than USB in some respects.

If the streamer or source has good enough clocking, the simpler transmission formats tend to be better. Unless you need DXD etc.

Jan 19, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #18 of 21
I don't disagree with you about NS1/DA2 or for that matter the Dac2x combo in terms of optilink being the preferred digital out. My point was that I think Emm Labs could have chosen/designed a more modern interface between the streamer and the dac - say fiber SFP using packet data connection. optilink has been around forever and I think it's time to let it go.

Jan 19, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #19 of 21
I don't disagree with you about NS1/DA2 or for that matter the Dac2x combo in terms of optilink being the preferred digital out. My point was that I think Emm Labs could have chosen/designed a more modern interface between the streamer and the dac - say fiber SFP using packet data connection. optilink has been around forever and I think it's time to let it go.
If they can increase bandwidth with optilink so it can handle DSD128 or DXD, I'd say if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Packet connections require bringing network computing into the DAC, and in my experience that comes with more noise, even with fiber.

The MA3 does have a network input, so I assume that future totl DACs will have one as well. But for me, minimalist I2S and optical have always sounded best.

Feb 1, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #20 of 21
Given Im a newbie and cant yet start threads.. I am a bit surprised here no-one has been talking about the DirectStream MK2.. Im curious as to what level of performance gain they achieved (it seems similar to MK1 but with a lot more galvanic isolation)

May 14, 2023 at 4:06 AM Post #21 of 21
I've been a fan of DSD since it emerged to the general public in the form of SACD. And I've been very pleased to see downloading/streaming options emerge over the last decade or so. Having tried most of the components mentioned here, I've stuck with my Marantz SA10 player for a while now - I think it's excellent. There are a range of reasons for this. First, I have a collection of SACDs that haven't been released as downloadable files (I'm not interested in trying to rip them ...). Second, I find the particular form of Marantz quad-DSD up-sampling from all sources very effective - at least as satisfying as the other up-sampling options out there. Another very important factor for me is the option of host-playback of files up to double-DSD (and high PCM) rates - this allows me to avoid any kind of 'streaming' solution in dealing with hi-res files (including via the player's quad-DSD capable usb input for external sources - not as good as host-playback at the half the rate). I guess this is the central point underlying my preference for an integrated player (with analogue outputs). My feeling is that rendering files to an outboard player - via any protocol - remains less satisfying in audible terms than any integrated option - at least to the extent I've been able to test and compare options. I'm prepared to believe that will change one day - but I remain to be convinced that day has arrived. The Marantz remains a very good deal in comparison to the other components mentioned here - so worth a try I think for readers interested in exploring the world of DSD playback ...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back