PS DirectStream vs EMM Dac2x vs Playback Design MPS 5
Mar 6, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #3 of 21
I know this is an old thread. But FWIW I owned the MPS-5 for about 8yrs before I had the opportunity to listen to a EMM Labs DAC2X in my system. I had listened to many other DAC's since owning the MPS-5 & none bettered it until the DAC2X came along. I ended up selling my MPS-5 and bought the EMM Labs DAC2X V1. I have since had it upgraded to V2. Unfortunately I cannot comment on the PS Direct Stream as I have not heard one.

Mar 6, 2022 at 7:02 PM Post #4 of 21
Wow! I just looked up the MPS-5 and EMM Labs gear…top shelf equipment! I would kindly state that your current DAC should sound better in most aspects over the DS DAC…I love my PS DS DAC and think I’m at the top $$$$ amount of what I can afford. Thanks for posting here.

Mar 8, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #5 of 21
Ted Smith knows his digital/software stuff. If he and Ed can combine forces, Emm Labs could relive their glory days before Koch left to start his own shop.

Mar 8, 2022 at 10:04 PM Post #6 of 21
Ted Smith knows his digital/software stuff. If he and Ed can combine forces, Emm Labs could relive their glory days before Koch left to start his own shop.

I don't know why they (EMM Labs) are not favourable. Their DAC's still sound amazing. In fact the EMM Labs DAC2X V2 is my "end game" DAC. I have stopped looking or worried about wanting to listen to other DACs (I know famous last words of an audiophile). But honestly I just love this DAC. I know EMM Labs and Playback Designs now have upgraded versions. But I don't know if the sound improvement could warrant the price? Best I don't listen to one I think and just continue to swoon and enjoy the DAC2X V2 which I have also combined with the EMM Labs TSDX/SACD Transport. Just a heavenly match. And I think if you are ok with purchasing 2nd hand the prices of these items are probably very attractive for a super high end Transport/DAC combo.

Mar 8, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #7 of 21
The reason Emm Labs may not appear to be more popular is probably because they don’t have any shills and people generally buy their stuff and disappear from forum for 10 years 😂

Same thing happens to Linn buyers - speaking from experience.

Mar 8, 2022 at 10:23 PM Post #8 of 21
The reason Emm Labs may not appear to be more popular is probably because they don’t have any shills and people generally buy their stuff and disappear from forum for 10 years 😂

Same thing happens to Linn buyers - speaking from experience.

LOL this is so so true. I mean you just have to look at the time gap between my posts on here. It is fair to say I stopped posting once I got my EMM Labs or actually maybe even the PBD-MPS-5. I was very happy with the PBD DAC too but it was just by chance I was able to loan the EMM Labs DAC that wanted me to sell the MSP-5 and beg, borrow and steal the rest of the $$$ to purchase the 2nd hand TSDX/DAC2X combo. The only reason I got to listen to so many other DAC's when I had the MPS-5 is because so many of my audiophile friends wanted to listen to my MPS-5 & bring their DAC around to compare. Because I was the only one in my city (at the time) who owned a MPS-5 that they knew of I was pretty popular because this is when the MPS-5 had just come out not long before I bought one. I think i might think twice about borrowing another high end DAC in the future. :)

Mar 9, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #9 of 21
I don't know why they (EMM Labs) are not favourable. Their DAC's still sound amazing. In fact the EMM Labs DAC2X V2 is my "end game" DAC. I have stopped looking or worried about wanting to listen to other DACs (I know famous last words of an audiophile). But honestly I just love this DAC. I know EMM Labs and Playback Designs now have upgraded versions. But I don't know if the sound improvement could warrant the price? Best I don't listen to one I think and just continue to swoon and enjoy the DAC2X V2 which I have also combined with the EMM Labs TSDX/SACD Transport. Just a heavenly match. And I think if you are ok with purchasing 2nd hand the prices of these items are probably very attractive for a super high end Transport/DAC combo.
Great information. I was wondering what transport you were using and if that transport delivers native DSD to the DAC—like the PS Audio units do?

Or is the DSD converted to hi-Rez PCM digital or similar?

I have an Oppo 205 with an external circuit board that separates the I2S DSD and PCM digital data and send that to my PS Audio DS DAC—it sounds great and way better than any SACD player that I have been able to audition in my system.

The most expensive SACD players I have tried in my system have been the Marantz and Denon SACD players from the last couple of years that retail for about five to US$6000. Then, I only had my Modwright Modified Oppo 205 player and it sounded more natural and 3D than those two SACD players.

I would love to try the SACD player you had, and the current transport and DSD DAC that you have in my system. I believe that I would want to upgrade as soon as possible, LOL.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #10 of 21
I think the answer differs based on the transport/streamer if you use Emm Labs link. I would just call Emm Labs if you need to know for sure. Alternatively, you can just use the Emm Labs link, enjoy the music and forget about the spec.

If you decide to go with Emm Labs, you can just get the Dac2x (8x DSD conversion) or DA2 (16x DSD conversion) and enjoy the high res-like sound no matter the input.

You should sample dCS, Emm Labs/Playback Designs, Linn and MSB. I am sure you will gravitate toward one or more of the brands, but probably not all.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2022 at 7:56 PM Post #11 of 21
If I do upgrade I will probably look at replacing the EMM Labs Optilink with this brand. Aural Symphonics. The word on the street is this cable from AS is like a component upgrade. The cable is not cheap (but neither is the Transport/DAC combo) but would be a lot cheaper than replacing the Transport/DAC combination.

https://www.thecableco.com/cables/d...al-toslink-or-st/optimism-emm-st-toslink.html

There is a review about this cable on Dagogo. Even though the review focuses on the upgraded TX2/DA2 transport/dac combo the same increase in performance is also to be realised with the TSDX/DAC2X combo.

https://www.dagogo.com/aural-symphonics-optimism-lotus-st-optical-cable-review/

I have also been reading in other forums that apparently the EMM Labs supplied Optilink cable is actually directional even though they don't mention this in their manual. (apologies this is going off-topic)

Mar 9, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #12 of 21
I think the answer differs based on the transport/streamer if you use Emm Labs link. I would just call Emm Labs if you need to know for sure. Alternatively, you can just use the Emm Labs link, enjoy the music and forget about the spec.

If you decide to go with Emm Labs, you can just get the Dac2x (8x DSD conversion) or DA2 (16x DSD conversion) and enjoy the high res-like sound no matter the input.

You should sample dCS, Emm Labs/Playback Designs, Linn and MSB. I am sure you will gravitate toward one or more of the brands, but probably not all.
Great suggestions on demoing those great brand. Thank you. I’ll report back if I get to demo one or more of them.

Mar 9, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #13 of 21
If I do upgrade I will probably look at replacing the EMM Labs Optilink with this brand. Aural Symphonics. The word on the street is this cable from AS is like a component upgrade. The cable is not cheap (but neither is the Transport/DAC combo) but would be a lot cheaper than replacing the Transport/DAC combination.

https://www.thecableco.com/cables/d...al-toslink-or-st/optimism-emm-st-toslink.html

There is a review about this cable on Dagogo. Even though the review focuses on the upgraded TX2/DA2 transport/dac combo the same increase in performance is also to be realised with the TSDX/DAC2X combo.

I have also been reading in other forums that apparently the EMM Labs supplied Optilink cable is actually directional even though they don't mention this in their manual. (apologies this is going off-topic)
That cable is a component!!!

Please update us on the sound changes, when you get it :)

Mar 9, 2022 at 9:32 PM Post #14 of 21

You can always try first but I’m not optimistic you will hear any significant change. You might want to call Emm Labs and ask them if the Optilink data stream provides error correction. If yes then no point with the new cable. If no then it’s worth a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back