PS Audio
Aug 7, 2001 at 4:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

grrr223

All I want for Christmas is Radio Shack Cat.#910-4380
Does anyone have any experience with PS Audio's Ultimate Outlet or Power Plants? Is their intention to have you buy an Ultimate Outlet and then plug the Power Plant into that? And are you supposed to also upgrade your original outlet to a Power port or something? It just all seems very expensive, but from what I read on their site, each component serves a different purpose.

Why I like PS Audio...

Due to Jude's purchase of the Power port, I decided to visit PS Audio's website. It is a wonderful place. It's very informative and has lots of cool articles about how they make their cables (a lot of insight into why the damned things are soo $@#$3 expensive), the construction of their listening room, and lots of info on power conditioners and fun stuff like that. The history of the company is also really interesting. I don't know if any of you would feel this way, but reading about the company's history from the beginning made me feel much more interested in their products, they're not just some gimicky marketing group, the way everything is written is also on the perfect level, not too technical, yet still incredibly informative.

Anyway, I e-mailed them telling them I liked their website and that one day, unfortunately probalby way in the future (most of their products cost $$$$) I would order from them over another company because of their history and stuff like that, and I actually got a real response back. Not some automated "thanks for your input" but a nice letter from someone in their customer service department telling me about when he was a poor college kid and all that, I was very impressed. I hope to one day order something from PS Audio.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 7, 2001 at 10:09 PM Post #2 of 7
I think the PS audio power plants are quite interesting, generating a pure sine wave and amplifying it certainly should clean up the power, i'd trust them over any of the other audiophile power conditioning gimmiks out there.

And since headphone systems draw so little power, a small ps powerplant would be a lot more practical for us than for people with big speakers and SE tube amps..

Aug 9, 2001 at 8:56 PM Post #3 of 7
I own a P600 from PS Audio. It is not their intention that you have to have an ultimate outlet feeding into the Power Stations. The units may seem pricey, but they work and work very well. If you are into high end sound, your system should have one. The power cables are also very good. They now sell a better than hospital grade electrical socket that can also make a difference. In fact all of the newer Power Stations are now shipping with these outlets.

Aug 9, 2001 at 11:38 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by grrr223
The Power Ports? I think that's Jude's latest tweak
smily_headphones1.gif

No, PS Audio didn't ship the PowerPort to me in time for it to be installed (apparently they were out of stock at the time) so I had a Leviton put in. It's quite nice, actually. And as you'll see in the linked thread, I believe WattGate's 381 is apparently based on a Leviton hospital-grade outlet.

Aug 10, 2001 at 2:11 PM Post #6 of 7
Ohhhh, now I see
smily_headphones1.gif
. I was kinda laughing to myself reading about the 16 layers of hand-polished metal inside the Power Port, but they did a good job explaining all of the reasons for it (resists oxidation and increases contact area to the plug).

Aug 14, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #7 of 7
I had a P300 a long time ago. My entire system was almost $40,000. They deliver, but the cheapest one is $2500. I wouldn't spend that much on any system less than 20K. The power port outlets are beautiful and top quality, but they really don't make any real improvement in your sound unless you have a 20 year old corroded outlet with dried paint in it. Go to an electronic supply company and get a hospital grade outlet for $20. You'll know it by the green dot on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back