PS Audio Power Port
Dec 10, 2007 at 5:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Mher6

500+ Head-Fier
I know some head-fi members have used the PS Audio soloist in-wall conditioner, but I haven't read anything about the Power Port. Does it actually improve SQ? Worth $50?

If you're going to reply to this thread and tell me that power is power and the power port has no effect on the "end result," please refrain from replying to my thread. Thanks in advance.

P.S. Not trying to be rude, but I've had enough of reading productive/informative threads that turn into flame wars within the first page between the "believers" and "non-believers."

Dec 10, 2007 at 3:00 PM Post #2 of 12
Not sure if this really helps.. but I have read numerous reviews on the Oyaide receptacles. A little pricier, yes, but they seem to be the best ones out there.

Just wondering if you have considered these as well.

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 10, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure if this really helps.. but I have read numerous reviews on the Oyaide receptacles. A little pricier, yes, but they seem to be the best ones out there.

Just wondering if you have considered these as well.

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Didn't know they existed. I'll take a look at them, thanks.

Dec 10, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mher6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Didn't know they existed. I'll take a look at them, thanks.

I've read a few reviews of users who compared the PSA outlet, to the Oyaide's and the few who have compared both, all were in favor of the Oyaide.

Here's the cheapest place I found them.

Oyaide Power Receptacle SWO-DX ULTIMO Silver / Rhodium

Oyaide Power Receptacle SWO-GX ULTIMO Gold

Oyaide Power Receptacle SWO-XXX ULTIMO Gold / Palladium

I still may get the PSA because I've found some used for $30.

-Nick

Dec 10, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read a few reviews of users who compared the PSA outlet, to the Oyaide's and the few who have compared both, all were in favor of the Oyaide.

Here's the cheapest place I found them.

Oyaide Power Receptacle SWO-DX ULTIMO Silver / Rhodium

Oyaide Power Receptacle SWO-GX ULTIMO Gold

Oyaide Power Receptacle SWO-XXX ULTIMO Gold / Palladium

I still may get the PSA because I've found some used for $30.

-Nick

How about the new Oyaide R1? These run about $125 and aren't even listed on the Oyaide site yet (VHAudio sells them, among other retailers). Do you think you can link me to some the reviews? How much difference between the 3 (or 4, including R1) models?

Lastly, are these as easy to install as the PSA? Thanks again for your help nick.

Dec 12, 2007 at 2:18 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mher6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How exactly do I get the wires out of the receptacle? I unscrewed the screws, but could not pull them out. Any help would be appreciated.

See that slot by each hole the wire is in?
I believe if you stick a small screwdriver in there it will release the wire.

But....
Since you're putting in a high grade outlet, why not just clip them off and strip the wires back so you have nice fresh, clean copper to make your new connections with?

Dec 12, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd R /img/forum/go_quote.gif
See that slot by each hole the wire is in?
I believe if you stick a small screwdriver in there it will release the wire.

But....
Since you're putting in a high grade outlet, why not just clip them off and strip the wires back so you have nice fresh, clean copper to make your new connections with?

I could do that
biggrin.gif

I try to release the wires later and post back if I have any more problems.

Dec 12, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #11 of 12
I have tried Power Port and didn't hear a difference. I'm using stock outlet and adapter now instead, and it sounds better than ever just because I shortered my Valhalla cables. I have also tried multiple extension strips and I found that Valhalla veils the sound more than them. I can plug my system in anywhere and it sounds the same.

I have heard a difference in sound signature between AC connectors because the different metals change the sound like power cables do. Gold sounded warm and silver sounded cold. Since my system is always too warm I got an "improvement" from the silver plated connector.

Dec 13, 2007 at 3:07 AM Post #12 of 12
I own the Furutech FP-15a(cu)N1 receptacle and it has transformed my system to a higher level.Better bass with lush dynamics.It takes around 300 hours to break in but the results are mind boggling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back