PS Audio GCHA & Grado GS1000
Aug 22, 2006 at 3:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

sweetben

100+ Head-Fier
I’ve been listening to this combo for the past couple weeks, and I’m loving it.

I have the GCHA (with PS Audio xStream Prelude SC power cable) hooked into my Powerbook’s USB port. I’m playing music encoded as Apple Lossless or 320 kbps AAC.

I find the amp gives the GS1000 an even richer tone…not too much mind you. Everything is firmed up and I am definitely hearing more detail then before (straight out the mini-audio out)...not a big surprise. The bass has even more body and impact, which makes my rock listening so sweet. As an interesting side note, the perfect song for this combo seems to be Beck’s “Hell Yes” off his album Guero.

Anyhow, I couldn’t be happier with my choices…I could go into more detail, but I’d just windup saying the same things just with more words.

Aug 23, 2006 at 4:31 AM Post #2 of 18
hey, thanks for the review. the audio terms will just come with experience. the important thing is you are happy with your purchases and thats what counts.
enjoy the music
gs1000.gif

Aug 23, 2006 at 5:58 AM Post #3 of 18
The PS Audio GCHA is an excellent amplifier and I have always been very impressed by its performance. However, my example has recently failed and is pending repair by PS Audio. Thus far the customer service has been decent and I hope that the issue is resolved quickly. The SR225 did exceedingly well with the GCHA and I am anxious to hear the Grado Labs GS1000 mated to the GCHA. I imagine it would be an especially ideal amplifier for this headphone.

Aug 23, 2006 at 3:35 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianS
hey, thanks for the review. the audio terms will just come with experience. the important thing is you are happy with your purchases and thats what counts.
enjoy the music
gs1000.gif

you know the sad part is that i used to write electronics reviews for magazines...

Aug 23, 2006 at 8:38 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by iDesign
has recently failed and is pending repair by PS Audio. Thus far the customer service has been decent and I hope that the issue is resolved quickly.

iDesign, what was wrong with your amp? Why did you send it in? I had a reocurring problem with my GCHA that would go into hiding after turning the unit off for a considerable amount of time. Can you explain your issue?

Thanks-

Aug 24, 2006 at 1:17 AM Post #8 of 18
Hi Rhydon,

Shortly before the complete failure of my GCHA I observed a distortion through the headphones. It is difficult to accurately describe the distortion but I immediately began to troubleshoot the unit per the instructions in the operating guide. After rotating the front panel gain control fully counterclockwise and inspecting all wired connections, I attempted to power the unit "on" by rotating the gain control clockwise. The unit would not turn on after this. I have no idea what has caused this and I will document the warranty process.

I should remind everyone that failures like these are not uncommon with audio equipment and in no way does this change my view of the product nor should it influence ones buying decision or create some kind of negative internet rumors about the GCHA. I still firmly believe the GCHA is one of the very best solid state amplifiers and to this point PS Audio's customer service has been exemplary.

What issue(s) are you experiencing?

Aug 24, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #9 of 18
Thanks for the impressions. I actually have these two (amp and phones) but actually haven't listened a lot. I primarily use my GS-1000's with the Zhaolu and discreet amp.

My GCHA usually drives AKG K701's, sometimes Senn 650/RnB Grace 5-2's. The GCHA has sounded great with anything I've used it with, so I'm not surprised it is great with the GS-1000's. Just surprised I haven't really put time in with that combo!

Aug 24, 2006 at 5:09 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

What issue(s) are you experiencing?

Mine has a problem with balance on the L& R. Everything is heavy on the left channel. Thought it was the jack, but turns out its something else. The problem corrects itself when the amp is left unplugged for about a week. Only to return again when in heavy use.

Its been a pain with the repair guys at PS audio, theyre wonderful, but the problem seems to go into hiding every time i send it in. Costs big $ in shipping to CA only to have someone tell you they cant find the problem
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 24, 2006 at 5:30 PM Post #11 of 18
Hmmm...wondering if there are problems with the newfangled gain stage in the headamp that are just how being discovered over time?

Anyone ever compare the GCHA to the older PCA-2 preamp's heaphone section?

Aug 24, 2006 at 5:46 PM Post #12 of 18
Rhydon,

What source are you using? If you are using the built in DAC or an outboard DAC a partial signal drop out will create a very similar issue. I have seen this happen numerous times whenever I use my Apple PowerBook G4 as the primary source. Not surprisingly I have also experienced this with my Bel Canto DAC2 and observed it was my computer partially dropping the data transfer. The only way to correct the issue seems to require shutting off the GCHA (or DAC2) and/ or placing the computer in and out of a sleep cycle. If you are using a CD based source and not using the DAC then it seems your issue may be a bit more complicated.

Aug 24, 2006 at 11:49 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Rhydon...If you are using a CD based source and not using the DAC then it seems your issue may be a bit more complicated.

Yep, thats what i noticed as well. However, the problem exists in the analog inputs as well as the USB. It started with the USB input, then, when switched to the analog (different setup in another room), the channels are still offset.

Sep 1, 2006 at 10:23 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Its been a pain with the repair guys at PS audio, theyre wonderful, but the problem seems to go into hiding every time i send it in. Costs big $ in shipping to CA only to have someone tell you they cant find the problem
smily_headphones1.gif

Rhydon,

What has been the normal turn around time for your GCHA repairs? I have been quoted two-three weeks. This seems excessive (read: glacial).

When I finally receive the amplifier from PS Audio I will list it for sale along with my HD650 headphones as I think my venture into headphone audio is over. The limitations of headphones that are related to issues of physics has made this one of the most interesting but unimpressive personal ventures in audio.

Signing off from headfi,
iDesign

Users who are viewing this thread

Back