PS Audio DLIII Review, what should I try next?
Dec 18, 2007 at 2:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

regal

Headphoneus Supremus
The PS Audio DLII comes in a very nice professional looking case. It is heavy and massive. As I plugged it in I had a lot of confidence in it by its stature and appearance.

Boy was I wrong.

The highs are so metallic, ever chew on your foil gum wrapper by mistake? That is the feeling you get from the highs.

The mids are grainy and hollow.

The mid bass is missing that lateral dimension that wraps the music on the sides.

The bass is clear and more distinct than my other DAC.

In comparison to my Audio Alchemy DDE v1.2 I just can't bare to listen to the DLIII. All smooth fluidity of jazz guitar is lost with the DLIII. Luckily I had a 30 day return no questions asked with free shipping. So this is going back to Crutchfield.

Next on my list is the CI VDA-2. But there is a 10% restocking fee on that one. I am afraid that maybe I just don't like Sigma- Delta DAC's. I need a smooth organic, musical DAC. I could go with a Lite DAC-60 or HagUSB, bot use the PCM1704 R2R Dac but neither have a return policy.

Any advice is appreciated.

Dec 18, 2007 at 5:23 PM Post #3 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The PS Audio DLII comes in a very nice proffesional looking case. It is heavy and massive. As I plugged it in I had a lot of confidence in it by its stature and appearance.

Boy was I wrong.

The highs are so metallic, ever chew on your foil gum wrapper by mistake? That is the feeling you get from the highs.

The mids are grainy and hollow.

The mid bass is missing that lateral dimension that wraps the music on the sides.

The bass is clear and more distinct than my other DAC.

In comparison to my Audio Alchemy DDE v1.2 I just can't bare to listen to the DLIII. All smooth fluidity of jazz guitar is lost with the DLIII. Luckily I had a 30 day return no questions asked with free shipping. So this is going back to Crutchfield.

Next on my list is the CI VDA-2. But there is a 10% restocking fee on that one. I am afraid that maybe I just don't like Sigma- Delta DAC's. I need a smooth organic, musical DAC. I could go with a Lite DAC-60 or HagUSB, bot use the PCM1704 R2R Dac but neither have a return policy.

Any advice is appreciated.

I find the DAC in the transporter via RCA out is on par with Rega Saturn in their 'warmth' quality. its all in the implementation. 30-day return policy from slim devices is a good thing
wink.gif

Dec 18, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Any other suggestions?

Is the VDA-2 smooth or harsh like the DLIII?

SK138 says VDA-2 is a very nicely smooth, analog sounding piece of gear.

My experience with PS Audio components was not an interesting one at all also by the way. The GCHA was just plain dead, boring, and did not even bring anything new to the table.

Dec 18, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #8 of 29
What MeloS says
wink.gif
The VAC power supply will make it go deeper when required...but it's not really needed. It's too subtle in most cases. It's a very detailed source that I enjoy the synergy with HD650/ HD580. If I still had AT or Grado cans...I would go with Lavry

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SK138 says VDA-2 is a very nicely smooth, analog sounding piece of gear.

Dec 18, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by cclragnarok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To me, the VDA-2 is on the lean side, but it is very smooth.

lean as in bass or lean as in midrange weight ?

Dec 18, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #11 of 29
I personally really want to try the VDA2 in my home system, it would go so well with the rest of electronics visually, and if it helps smooth and even things out - even better xD. Refinement unfortunately is one of the weakness, and the source is probably the reason.

Dec 18, 2007 at 9:01 PM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

lean as in bass or lean as in midrange weight ?

Both. Probably more so for the bass, but I'm not sure. Either way, it's not so bad, and it's all relative.

Compared against the DA100, it does not have as much punch/impact. Compared against the Mini-DAC, it does not have as much warmth/weight. On the other hand, the VDA-2 sounds cleaner, clearer, and smoother than either the DA100 or the Mini-DAC in my opinion.

Dec 18, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #13 of 29
I went through many DACs and auditioned more DACs than I can remember them all. In short, the 840c is the most versatile DAC (with two inputs) and CDP all in one. If I were to make an hybrid between VDA2 and Lavry DA10...then you have 840c, with VDA2's lucid clarity and the mid warmth and bass extension of DA10. The problem is it's priced like VDA2 + Lavry DA10
frown.gif
On the plus side, it has true balanced output. It also uses the same DAC chip as in the Esoteric high end DAC...the dual differential AD1955 chipset.

Quote:

Originally Posted by recca /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SK138 - How does your 840C compare to any of the DAC's in question. I want one so bad!

Dec 18, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
isnt there a 30 return policy with pacific valve if you want to try the lite audio dac-60?

I checked their website and you are correct.

I have heard that in the Lite DAC-60 the PCM-1704 is configured in only 20 bit (pin 9 is tied to -5V instead of ground.) I wouldn't be surpirsed with Lite selling the DAC-AH clipping in stock form from a mis-speced I/V resistor.

On the other hand tubes might be better for me, I listen to a lot of 60's and 70's soundboards of not great recording quality. I am afraid that too much clarity will only reveal flaws in the recording.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back