Ps audio direct stream dsd DAC
Jul 5, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #122 of 265
Don't understand why owners of DS over at PS Audio is using JRIVER or a software program to source into DS on PDC files... isn't the main purpose of DS the converting factor of all PDC to DSD? I'm only pointing this out because I plan to get the DS next month.

If I understand correctly, the directstream up samples everything to dsd 10x and eventually outputs dsd 2x to low pass filter. PCM has extra step of being converted to dsd first. So I guess if you thought that jriver would do better job on this PCM to dsd conversion, it would make sense vs letting directstream handling it.

Jul 5, 2014 at 8:07 AM Post #123 of 265
I cannot imagine a player doing a better job then the DAC itself. At this point it's all math anyway. I am not saying to not try as well have and should. But for me it's alway native . I can add the DS and most all dacs are very sensitive to the cpu we use for playback. I found for the DS iMac and Aurdivana plus sounded closets in sound to my MSB stack .
Al

Jul 5, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #124 of 265
The drawback of software PCM to DSD conversion is that it takes about 3-5 minutes for it to convert in a let's say 200 mb file. But the good side of it is, it actually works and I can hear the difference.. it's possible that it takes that long for accurate conversion. Considering DS does the conversion on the fly, it would be interesting if someone can take the time to do a a/b with a mp3 file converted to DSD 5443 etc.. I wonder how much the DS is better at converting since the DAC marketing pitch is solely purposed on PCM to DSD conversion..

Jul 6, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #126 of 265
Crashem did you get your DS yet?

No. I did send in my trade in though. I need to call ps audio on Monday as I got return authorization number from ps audio and different one from my dealer.

Jul 9, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #127 of 265
Welp, got the kit in at the same time as my airmotiv 6s speakers and herbies audio super stabalizers. Sadly I managed to yank one of the ac wires the wrong way and the wiring pulled out of the terminal, but I think my ratshack replacement faston terminal should do the trick. Went to my calc class just after it happened and couldn't focus at all...

Jul 9, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #128 of 265
Ok, up and running. Time to unpack the new speakers. Also noted the high gain setting gives me hiss (more like a soft noise) through my speakers, yet I have to turn the volume up to 75 for music I used to play at 60 with the volume knobs on the airmotiv 4s turned down half a turn. 

Jul 9, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #130 of 265
Welp, got the kit in at the same time as my airmotiv 6s speakers and herbies audio super stabalizers. Sadly I managed to yank one of the ac wires the wrong way and the wiring pulled out of the terminal, but I think my ratshack replacement faston terminal should do the trick. Went to my calc class just after it happened and couldn't focus at all...

Let us know about the pairing when you can?

Jul 9, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #131 of 265
I'm waiting on the Direct Stream to burn in more/spend more time listening before making any critical judgments, but it sounds very very good. The main problem the airmotivs have is with how sharp the treble can be at times, but it's gotten comfy after just 4 hours of burn-in. Still a bit direct at times, but better than with the mk2. Detail retrieval leaves nothing to be desired and is excellent. Also just updated to the 6115 firmware, but everything is so new it's hard to tell any differences. The airmotiv 4's responded well to hifi tuning supreme fuses, so this time around i'm going with the much cheaper AMR fuses, considering i've read how they relax the sound without letting details slide. Not sure if the new herbies stuff is doing much of anything though. Or where to place them. Have one over the transformer and one over the digital stage. 

Also i got a second pair of gold fuses from ps audio in my kit, as I already had fuses installed in the power board and some in a little baggie.

Jul 9, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #132 of 265
I'm waiting on the Direct Stream to burn in more/spend more time listening before making any critical judgments, but it sounds very very good. The main problem the airmotivs have is with how sharp the treble can be at times, but it's gotten comfy after just 4 hours of burn-in. Still a bit direct at times, but better than with the mk2. Detail retrieval leaves nothing to be desired and is excellent. Also just updated to the 6115 firmware, but everything is so new it's hard to tell any differences. The airmotiv 4's responded well to hifi tuning supreme fuses, so this time around i'm going with the much cheaper AMR fuses, considering i've read how they relax the sound without letting details slide. Not sure if the new herbies stuff is doing much of anything though. Or where to place them. Have one over the transformer and one over the digital stage. 

I remember my 6s sounding the same way when I got them. I have the gold hi-fi slow blow fuses. The a sound changed a tad for the better. Mostly the soundstage got bigger.

Jul 10, 2014 at 6:23 AM Post #134 of 265
I have one for a couple of months or more. It is excellent in sound
No hissing. I think anyone who hears hissing is have a situation of great gain or a synergy problem.
Putting your ears to the speakers to listen for noises is obsessive.
My unit is dead quite and I have had it in many systems
Bothine and others. How ever like any DAC it is dependent on the CPU used.
This is where some sound issues arise. I have found two of 5 CPU s of mine that work great. The other 3 work fine but do lack the great sound it can produce.
Also I feel it plays PCM better than DSD. Although DSD sounds very good but I have other dacs that outperform it in DSD
Al

Jul 10, 2014 at 6:41 AM Post #135 of 265
There was very audible hiss on the one I tried in Tokyo headphone festival a couple of months back. Sounded like grunge coming through USB from the laptop rather than hiss per say. Could it be affecting some units or usage configurations only?

Arnaud 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back