PS-1's on ebay
Jun 12, 2007 at 2:56 PM Post #16 of 31
YES

Quote:

Originally Posted by ex0du5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why are you pissed? Because they're going to sell for what their worth and you won't get your chance to steal them away? Boo hoo.

Jun 12, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think ebay is pretty well known. i don't think this thread is going to affect the sale.

Agree.

And it is almost laughable to think otherwise.

Ebay is no secret, nor are Grado headphones. I of corse can't prove it, but I would be willing to bet that the Head-Fi community comprises about 0.001% of all Ebay traffic and about 2% of Grado customers.

I obviously pulled those numbers out of the air (If anything, I probably over-estimated). But I am just trying to make a point that in the grand scheme of internet workings and Grado sales, the Head-Fi community is barely a 'blip on the radar'.

Jun 12, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agree.

Ebay is no secret, nor are Grado headphones. I of corse can't prove it, but I would be willing to bet that the Head-Fi community comprises about 0.001% of all Ebay traffic and about 2% of Grado customers.

I obviously pulled those numbers out of the air (If anything, I probably over-estimated). But I am just trying to make a point that in the grand scheme of internet workings and Grado sales, the Head-Fi community is barely a 'blip on the radar'.

Lol, I disagree...I've seen many Ebay threads posted here, and in almost every instance the price has gone up dramatically, and the item is usually purchased by a head-fier.

Jun 12, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #23 of 31
Oh yeah and I forgot to mention:

For anyone who thinks that the seller is going to let them go for any less than the original purchase price (at the very minimum): you are more than likely fooling yourself.

You ('you' being the seller in this case) don't own a pair of Grado PS-1s without knowing exactly what the purchase price was, and exactly how rare, valuable and cherished they are - and how much they tend to sell for these days as a result.

We will see at the end of the auction if I am wrong...

Jun 12, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #24 of 31
Yes, it may be true that headfi is a small percentage of ebay and grado customers, but it's a huge percentage of PS1 buyers in the US, and a huge percentage of people willing to spend >$1000 on a pair of headphones. There's a reason why the industry shows up in force at the big meets.

Jun 12, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

For anyone who thinks that the seller is going to let them go for any less than the original purchase price (at the very minimum): you are more than likely fooling yourself.

You ('you' being the seller in this case) don't own a pair of Grado PS-1s without knowing exactly what the purchase price was, and exactly how rare, valuable and cherished they are - and how much they tend to sell for these days as a result.

We will see at the end of the auction if I am wrong...

That's why HP-1/HP-2 has never listed for $200 buy-it-now on ebay, right?

Jun 12, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by some1x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's why HP-1/HP-2 has never listed for $200 buy-it-now on ebay, right?

Oh I never said there aren't any (very) occasional Ebay Headphone related anomalies, however:

1) Last time I checked, HP-2s are not PS-1s. Quite a few more HP-2s were made than PS-1s.

2) Reading that sellers description, it is quite obvious (at least to me) that he knows what he has, what they are worth, and what he is doing.

But hey what do I know? I can't even chew through a 3-foot rope.

Jun 12, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #27 of 31
guys this debate happens in each and every ebay thread on head-fi...can't we just air the side of caution and agree that these types of threads are unneccessary at best, and damaging to anyone that wants to buy them for a relatively decent deal and just stop allowing them

guys, we're aware that e-bay is around...these things generally stay up for 6-7 days, if someone's interested, they'll find it, and these threads only attract those that are only mildly interested, thus driving the price up. just stop it already.

Jun 13, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Agree.

I'll disagree. I've followed plenty of auctions before and after they've been posted on Headfi. In nearly every instance once they're posted on Headfi the bid increases by a few hundred dollars almost immediately (within a day or so).

Final ending prices on the same items in similar condition also end higher for auctions posted on Headfi. I have over 100 old auctions in my ebay, with notes which were posted on Headfi, at the very least auctions end 15% higher once Headfi'ers are alerted. It's no secret most people looking for these high dollar items have a pretty fair size disposable income and aren't afraid to get in a bidding war.

Jun 13, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #29 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by ex0du5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why are you pissed? Because they're going to sell for what their worth and you won't get your chance to steal them away? Boo hoo.

Actually that may be the case if they were on head-fi... on e-bay, now especially that head-fi was alerted to it, it will sell for way more than it's worth.

Jun 13, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Forest Design /img/forum/go_quote.gif
guys this debate happens in each and every ebay thread on head-fi...can't we just air the side of caution and agree that these types of threads are unneccessary at best, and damaging to anyone that wants to buy them for a relatively decent deal and just stop allowing them

guys, we're aware that e-bay is around...these things generally stay up for 6-7 days, if someone's interested, they'll find it, and these threads only attract those that are only mildly interested, thus driving the price up. just stop it already.

Exactly what I was thinking. Forest, your avatar is perfect for this post
tongue.gif
. Anyway people, notice that the member who joined just three months ago realizes not only how prominent these threads are, but also why people don't like them. It happens too often, and IMO, shouldn't be happening at all. Many people often look for the best deals on eBay. If the seller really wanted to get every penny he could, he'd open up a BIN/OBO listing, rather than an auction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back