PS-1 VS headphile Darth Beyer
Dec 4, 2006 at 7:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

tyloh73

100+ Head-Fier
I Owned dt770/80 /supermacro 3 before,although the sound did leave something to be desired overall,the bass was just awesome on some chinese pops that I listen on daily basis.after living with my k1000 for a while,i actually start thinking about posibility of acquiring darth beyer and supermacro iv le.

when I had dt770/80,what bother me the most was the lack of clarity,the sound was "dirty",as oppose to clean(does it make sense?)second,it has BIG bass,it's kind of funny because it just make me feel like i was staring at someone with small head and body but an incredibly fat feet.the bass was like...occupied half the space of soundstage.

does darth beyer address these problems?if you have heard darth beyer v3 and ps-1.could you commend on the differences of these two cans(except the sound stage).

thanks in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

pardon my english,it's not my 1st language.

Dec 4, 2006 at 10:17 AM Post #3 of 31
I almost agree with flamerz...

I've heard both the DT770/80's and Darths and and Darths definately improve on clarity. They bring the midrange forward and smooth it out. The high end also smoothed but it still retains sparkle. The bass is deeper, more refined and tighter. More impactful I would say IMO.

If you like the DT770 then the Darths improve on every aspect in my opinion (... but I may be biased since I LOVE my darth beyers!!)

I haven't heard the PS-1 to compare. Also I believe my Darths are V1... V3 are supposed to be even better.

Paul

Dec 4, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #4 of 31
Kind of an odd comparison seeing as a PS-1 would cost twice that of a typical Darth Beyer. But if you can afford PS-1s, and have a worthy setup for them, they should exceed the Darth Beyers easily (Personally, I don't think a portable amp like the Supermacro would be enough). The clarity is on another level, believe it or not the bass is deeper and it has the Grado highs of course.

I think the Supermacro --> Darth Beyer setup would be great though. It should adress the concerns you have with the overabundance of bass, the Darth Beyer is much more balanced than a stock DT770. I'd also research different opamps for the Supermacro, perhaps AD8397, AD8620 which are on the bright side and should help further balance out the sound if you find the Darth Beyers too dark.

Dec 4, 2006 at 11:38 PM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmirza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kind of an odd comparison seeing as a PS-1 would cost twice that of a typical Darth Beyer. But if you can afford PS-1s, and have a worthy setup for them, they should exceed the Darth Beyers easily (Personally, I don't think a portable amp like the Supermacro would be enough). The clarity is on another level, believe it or not the bass is deeper and it has the Grado highs of course.

I own PS-1 and I am still interested in Darth Beyers. Never heard any, but I think I might like them a lot.
PS-1 are expensive, but IMO vastly overrated. They are really very good, but not to the proportions some people seem to believe. I have a pair of modded SR325i and they are not very inferior to the PS-1. In some regards even vastly superior (soundstage). But that is probably also a matter of personal preference.
So: I don't think it is silly to compare them to Darth Beyers at all and I would be really interested if somebody would do that.

Dec 6, 2006 at 7:21 AM Post #7 of 31
I owned ps-1 before ,they are much better than the stock dt770/80 in almost all aspects except soundstage,the high is smooth and almost grain free,midrange is what amaze me the most,LIQUID and CRYSTAL CLEAR,bass is very focus,has a solid body,palpable presence.only if ps-1 has soundstage like dt770 pro,i wouldn't have sold ps-1.sigh...

i think i am going to order darth beyer soon and see if i like it or not.

Dec 6, 2006 at 12:31 PM Post #8 of 31
Well Tyloh73, I presently have 2 pairs of Darths (IMO std. 770/80 are musically unlistenable, though nothing is better for gaming) and have now taken delivery of dt990/600 Manufaktur. Though not even burned-in, these are generally the superior choice for me - but I won't be dumping my Darths. In terms of SQ above bass ranges, the 990/600 beat the pants off of the Darths. There is room for both, and there will be times when one is better than the other for particular musical choices ie. some symphonies pref. will be Darth, but already the head-over-heels choice for Patricia Barber and Dee Dee Washington is the 990/600. Interestingly enough, though these 990's are 600ohms, I only turn up the volume by one "hour".
IMG_0079.jpg

Dec 6, 2006 at 1:02 PM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well Tyloh73, I presently have 2 pairs of Darths (IMO std. 770/80 are musically unlistenable, though nothing is better for gaming) and have now taken delivery of dt990/600 Manufaktur. Though not even burned-in, these are generally the superior choice for me - but I won't be dumping my Darths. In terms of SQ above bass ranges, the 990/600 beat the pants off of the Darths. There is room for both, and there will be times when one is better than the other for particular musical choices ie. some symphonies pref. will be Darth, but already the head-over-heels choice for Patricia Barber and Dee Dee Washington is the 990/600. Interestingly enough, though these 990's are 600ohms, I only turn up the volume by one "hour".

Thanks. That gives a nice perspective on the Darths too.
I know it is terribly off topic, but any chance for pics of your "manufaktur"? Btw, why did you choose for the 600 ohm version?

Dec 6, 2006 at 2:39 PM Post #10 of 31
I have not taken the opportunity to do any pics ......yet. However, you can easily replicate on Manufaktur page. They are blk leather headband, Blk Velour earpads and everything else blk except "alure"ring, which is red. Their red is not a deep solid red, but borders on a lighter more near-red color found mostly on current Japanese cars. The 600 ohm version is 20 Euros additional cost. ............... Choice of 600 ohms version was the result of a conversation with head guy at Beyer.
IMG_0079.jpg

Dec 6, 2006 at 3:13 PM Post #11 of 31
Below is a photo of my 2 "Manufacture" headphones, and my 3 Darth Beyers, FWIW.

Also, I have never heard the PS-1's, but WAY better mids and a generally clearer, more refined sound, are the major improvements of the DB over the stock DT770/80.

MyBeyers.jpg

Dec 6, 2006 at 4:38 PM Post #13 of 31
I own both and I would say you will have more options of changing the bass with the PS-1 simply because of the different pad options. I use flats because I like the bass and prefer the vocals to be in my face. As far as comparing the two there is not much comparison, the PS-1 (assuming synergy is proper) is my favorite. I will say at a fraction of the price the Darths are a hell of a bargain and a steal with what you get from Larry.

I was expecting top notch wood work but what really impressed me was how much the sound had changed. The mids were so smooth and the shrill highs were tamed. Bass was still big but I have the DT770-250 so this may be different with the 80's. Anyways, I'd say if you are using this with the SM the Darths would probably be the way to go. The PS-1's are very synergy dependant to get your $$ out of them.

Dec 6, 2006 at 5:38 PM Post #14 of 31
So, BushGuy and Skylab, living in the States you were still able to order from the German Manufaktur site? How did you pay? And are the headphones offered on the Manufaktur site the new 2005+ models? Sorry for so many questions!

BushGuy, have you compared your 600-Ohm cans to the 250- or 80-Ohm cans? Have you noticed any differences in sound?

Thanks!
Eric.

Dec 6, 2006 at 5:44 PM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyloh73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I owned ps-1 before ,they are much better than the stock dt770/80 in almost all aspects except soundstage,the high is smooth and almost grain free,midrange is what amaze me the most,LIQUID and CRYSTAL CLEAR,bass is very focus,has a solid body,palpable presence.only if ps-1 has soundstage like dt770 pro,i wouldn't have sold ps-1.sigh...

i think i am going to order darth beyer soon and see if i like it or not.

If you would have tried the PS-1 with the GS1000 bowls, you might have kept them. I haven't had an extensive listen with this combo but at my last meet, I tried the GS1000 pads on my PS-1 for about 15 minutes. The sound signature sounded the same with great bass, harmonic liquid mids, and clear highs but with a bigger soundstage. Also, they still rocked with these pads on, unlike the GS1000 headphones themselves.. I think the GS1000 mids are slightly recessed because they are tuned that way and not the pads themselves. Anyway, I'm still trying to find some place that sells the pads separately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back