Proving Burn-In?
Nov 22, 2006 at 4:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Packgrog

500+ Head-Fier
I'm curious, has anyone attempted to record the output from an amp (ANY amp) at different phases of a burn-in period in order to try to detect how it's ouput properties change? I recall reading that Ray Samuels suggested a burn-in time of 300(!) hours for the Hornet before it reached it's peak performance. I'm wondering if this can be measured scientifically.

While I'd be willing to try this eventually with whatever amp I wind up getting (it's looking like the Tomahawk right now), I suspect that any results I might come up with wouldn't be terribly helpful, as the best recording device I have is the iriver H120. I also definitely won't be able to afford some of the more obnoxious interconnects, and I'd need to have two of them.

For those with the obnoxious hardware required to perform a test like this, have you ever done so? Would recording the output of an amp at different intervals at the same volume levels with the same source track actually reveal anything?

Isn't it time to debunk or prove this once and for all?

-Packgrog

Nov 22, 2006 at 6:05 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Packgrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Nah.*

*See multiple previous threads re amp, headphone, cable burn-in, etc. regarding viability and relevance of such measurements vs. claimed audible differences, etc.
wink.gif

Nov 22, 2006 at 6:30 PM Post #3 of 6
Nah... No need..... I've proved to myself by listening....End of message~

Nov 22, 2006 at 6:48 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Packgrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm curious, has anyone attempted to record the output from an amp (ANY amp) at different phases of a burn-in period in order to try to detect how it's ouput properties change? I recall reading that Ray Samuels suggested a burn-in time of 300(!) hours for the Hornet before it reached it's peak performance. I'm wondering if this can be measured scientifically.

While I'd be willing to try this eventually with whatever amp I wind up getting (it's looking like the Tomahawk right now), I suspect that any results I might come up with wouldn't be terribly helpful, as the best recording device I have is the iriver H120. I also definitely won't be able to afford some of the more obnoxious interconnects, and I'd need to have two of them.

For those with the obnoxious hardware required to perform a test like this, have you ever done so? Would recording the output of an amp at different intervals at the same volume levels with the same source track actually reveal anything?

-Packgrog

Hi-Fi News actually did this with cables once a few issues back. The data seemed to indicate that the inputs did vary with time/burn-in, but the results were too small (ie: not enough repeated tests with the same results) to warrant outright proof. I never truly understood the full technical details of the article though.

Bottom line, if an emperical study was available to prove this beyond doubt, it'd have been done by now.

Nov 23, 2006 at 2:12 AM Post #6 of 6
how can you verify that the instrumentation used to determine the burn-in has not "aged" in some way? if the instrument, is used for say 100 hours, wile you burn the amp in for 10000, what changes do the changes in the various parts of the instrument show and what is the amp changing?

sorry, i could not help but post that ironic and oft asked question...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back