Proud owner of....
Jul 1, 2003 at 10:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Kirium

100+ Head-Fier
It has finally happened.....

After a miserable 21 years on the planet.... i have seen the light...

The world according to Bowers & Wilkins....
biggrin.gif

Sure, they're only DM602's, but they're that sort of speaker where you have no choice but to sit down, and go thru ALLLLL your cd's so you can hear them all over again... for the first time..

The amazing imaging and depth, the delicate yet detailed highs, the tight, authoritive lows, the mellow mid-range....

After years of punchy bass, loud and proud JBL's, and then Infinity's... I am sorry to say (at least on my wallet's behalf) that i only have eyes for a Nautilus tube-loaded tweeter, and woven kevlar cones...

This love affair will only become sweeter when i have no option but to trade up to CDM NT's or <sigh> the Nautilus range...

Now i'm scared to go back to cans....
plainface.gif

Jul 1, 2003 at 12:27 PM Post #2 of 25
I'm glad you're so happy and excited but you just need something like HD600s. You might like it more than your new B&Ws. What gear are you driving the B&Ws with?

Jul 1, 2003 at 7:00 PM Post #3 of 25
Unless you pay at least 5 times as much, maybe even more, it is impossible (imo) to find a speaker that beats a headphone when it comes to quality of sound.

Well, maybe the Nautilus 805s would beat my HD600s... they cost more than five times as much, though. =)

Btw, the Nautilus 802s are really something. I wish I could afford them...
frown.gif

Jul 1, 2003 at 8:48 PM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by HanssoN
Unless you pay at least 5 times as much, maybe even more, it is impossible (imo) to find a speaker that beats a headphone when it comes to quality of sound.

I was able to pick of a very nice pair of B&W Matrix 804's for just under $1K. You'll have a tough time finding any headphone that can beat that speaker.

Jul 2, 2003 at 12:23 AM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

What gear are you driving the B&Ws with?

Well, they're only for music, i use an Infinity 5.1 setup for movies..

Marantz CD6000OSE>Monster IDL100 Digital Coax>Marantz SR6300(B speaker channel)>Monster XP-HP cable>B&W DM602 S3>My blessed ears...

I'd like a dedicated 2 channel amp, but due to space restrictions, i've had to settle for something with 5.1, A channel and 2.0 B channel...

I dont know I need HD600's, i think the HD280's are suiting my musical taste very well for the moment, but the exchange rate between the US and Australia is getting better and better, mabey some HD600's from headroom would become a viable option in the future... (especially when they're 60% cheaper to buy from the states and have them shipped here)

I'm of the belief that good headphones will always beat crap speakers, no doubt, but high-end speakers usually sound better to me than high-end headphones... and you can share the sonic goodness between more people.. which you can also do with the Orpheus+extra HE90...
So until someone donates some HD600's
600smile.gif
or RS1's
rs1smile.gif
or R10's to me (where's the R10 smiley??),
i'm afraid i'll have to be content with the HD280's....

Please give generously....
biggrin.gif

Jul 2, 2003 at 2:13 AM Post #6 of 25
I heard both the CDM 1NTs and the 805's at my local hifi shop. I dont know what they were driven by but they both sounded awesome. The 805's wupped up on the cdm's though. My next speakers will be CDM 1NT's driven by a classe amp. After I double my salary. <sigh>

Jul 2, 2003 at 7:19 AM Post #9 of 25
I like my speaker based system better. I love listening to speakers more. They potentially can image for better. But having said that you have the understand that speakers can give you way more problems. Room, setup, synergy are very important. Every chain in the system is important. And there's undoubtedly more things you have to deal with and worry about. A good source is crucial for both systems but you got to spend more for the same quality of amplification and you got to spend money for good preamplification and not to mention cables. A bad room, a poorly setup system, and bad components can make a speaker system sound all wrong no matter how good the speakers are.

Jul 2, 2003 at 8:11 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

but they're that sort of speaker where you have no choice but to sit down, and go thru ALLLLL your cd's so you can hear them all over again... for the first time..

Kirium,

Congrats! It's a trip isn't it? I do the same when something just works right.
biggrin.gif

I like both speaker and fone listeing equally.

Jul 2, 2003 at 10:53 AM Post #11 of 25
i agree with you howie..... a good speaker setup is just magical when there's so much depth and clarity in the soundstage, something i've never heard in my (limited) listenings with phones... but i agree, it all has to come together...

biggrin.gif

there must be synergy.....

that's my word for the day.... everyone say it together.....

Synergy....

take it easy

Jul 20, 2003 at 11:42 PM Post #12 of 25
WRT my last message about never having heard the same clarity and depth you get with quality speakers like my B&W's (which have awesomely solid spiked stands to go on now...) in headphones... i had a test drive of HD 600's a couple of days ago...

magic....

very bad idea, i must have now, and i was trying to scrape together the beer vouchers for a Loewe Aconda widescreen TV... that might be on hold for a couple more months...

Jul 21, 2003 at 12:21 AM Post #13 of 25
congrats!

i haven't yet heard the 602s but i have heard the 805s a good deal and they're just spectacular.

speakers will always be my favorite way to go...you just can't beat the imaging and the feel of the music throughout your body

Jul 22, 2003 at 2:21 AM Post #15 of 25
the only time my HD280 Pro's are seeing any action is when they're hooked up to my Laptop for music or games or my system late at night.... and it must be said that i am very impressed with the 280's. they're tight and punchy in the lows, and still articulate and revealing thru the mids into the highs... and i love the authority they have with almost all types of music, except delicate detail that HD600's can pull out such as strings and delicate vocal nuances that the 280's overlook.... but they're still being worked in a bit....

the rest of the time it's 602 S3's all the way...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back