Proud new owner of a Rega P5 TT
Jan 23, 2010 at 9:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Industrial

Head-Fier
Just went out and demoed the Rega P5 Turntable. Loved the sound so much I had them order one for me. Should be brought here and setup by next weekend. Got the cherry wood deck. Also got a "Exact" cartridge (the yellow rega one) to go along with it. I tried the one up from that (the blue one) and even tho it had more "detail" it didn't have that "warm" sound I liked from the Exact.

My first Turntable so I'm kinda excited and had to share....

Jan 23, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #2 of 15
Wow great choice for your first table
bigsmile_face.gif

What phono amp are you going to use with the Rega ?

Peete.

Jan 23, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #3 of 15
Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm using a Tonar Phono for now, just to save some cash. The dealer Im going with has a 100% tradeup policy within one year. So once the sticker shock is over and I feel like something more I will probable get a better Phono Preamp, maybe something tubed.

Jan 23, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #4 of 15
Cool...good plan.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd love to get my hands on a P3 to replace my ancient but still barely running Revolver.

Peete.

Jan 24, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #5 of 15
Congrats! The P5 is a great turntable and you should love it. I had a Planar 3 for awhile and really enjoyed it; the P5 is better.

Have you considered any of the tweaks and upgrades yet? I think the Michell counterweight is excellent and not terribly expensive. I also considered a subplatter upgrade, but then got smitten with the Gyrodec and went tha route instead. But take a look around - there are all sorts of tweaks and goodies available for Rega decks.

Jan 24, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #6 of 15
Uncle E what cartridge do you find harmonizes extremely well with the P3/P5 other than the Exact series ?

Peete.

EDIT: crickets chirping...

Jan 24, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats! The P5 is a great turntable and you should love it. I had a Planar 3 for awhile and really enjoyed it; the P5 is better.

Have you considered any of the tweaks and upgrades yet? I think the Michell counterweight is excellent and not terribly expensive. I also considered a subplatter upgrade, but then got smitten with the Gyrodec and went tha route instead. But take a look around - there are all sorts of tweaks and goodies available for Rega decks.

Naw no tweak yet in mind. Well besides the Power Supply upgrade but that would be mainly to be able to change the speed faster. Who knows, I may never upgrade it and just trade it in within a year for a model up
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 24, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #8 of 15
Grats on the great table. The Rega cartriges are a good place to start with.

I have decided to go the P3-24 route myself in the relatively near future.

To mount a non-Rega cartridge, you have to be ready to raise the tonearm base with a spacer, neither the P5 nor P3 have any VTA, just spacers to raise the base. Rega believes in a rigid connection over precise VTA changes.

I plan initial use of a Dynavector 10x5 cartridge. Later upgrades will be the power supply, sub-platter, platter and TechnoWeight mods.

I have a Cambridge Audio Phono box, and its solid, no frills, and switchable from MM to MC. This should get upgraded along the way, especially if I stick with MC cartridges, but I have other things I would do first to my system.

Jan 24, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

To mount a non-Rega cartridge, you have to be ready to raise the tonearm base with a spacer, neither the P5 nor P3 have any VTA, just spacers to raise the base. Rega believes in a rigid connection over precise VTA changes.

I have a Cambridge Audio Phono box, and its solid, no frills, and switchable from MM to MC. This should get upgraded along the way, especially if I stick with MC cartridges, but I have other things I would do first to my system.

The guy Im dealing with knows how to adjust pretty much any cartridge to fit on a Rega arm (or so he tells me). My Tonar is switchable from MM to MC as well. Just went out and got quite a few new records (couple used ones as well), now I just have to wait for the TT to get here,

Jan 25, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grats on the great table. The Rega cartriges are a good place to start with.

I have decided to go the P3-24 route myself in the relatively near future.

I plan initial use of a Dynavector 10x5 cartridge. Later upgrades will be the power supply, sub-platter, platter and TechnoWeight mods.

I just added the TT power supply to my P3-24 with a 10x5 (Dynavector P75 phono pre) which I like very much.

Jan 26, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by julius_the_cat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just added the TT power supply to my P3-24 with a 10x5 (Dynavector P75 phono pre) which I would like very much.

What was the first thing you noticed sound wise when tried out the TT Power Supply?

Jan 30, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #13 of 15
Well the Rega Canada Distro shipped in my TT today. They sent in a silver, I had originally asked for cherry, but that was back ordered for a month so I requested Black. Doesn't matter as they also forgot the Cartridge. I told them to send back the silver as I find silver painted siding/wood ugly.

On another note, my dealer deals in Audio Note products, I had inquired about the M1 RIAA phono stage. Anyone ever hear one in person? I'm trying to go for a soft warm tubey feel to compliment my Benchmark DAC1 (cold/sterile/detailed) Music sever . Its not a bad thing, i actually like it. Just want a different flavor for different moods.

Mar 28, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uncle E what cartridge do you find harmonizes extremely well with the P3/P5 other than the Exact series ?

Peete.

EDIT: crickets chirping...

Totally addicted to vinyl now! Have been playing LP's non stop. Wondering if the Dynavector 20xH will improve on things. Still waiting for a tube phono pre-amp to show up. Taking forever, some other dealer elsewhere ordered all of them from the distributor. I now know for vinyl i like "warm/musical" vs precise/analytical (which i prefer for digital).

Mar 29, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #15 of 15
I ended up going with a VPI Scout myself - was a better birthday present than I was planning on. I also figured I would not be so inclined to want to upgrade it right away, subplatter, platter, tonearm weights etc.

Look into the Denon line 301mkII I got for those properties, or the 103 line. Downside of these is the need for MC phono capabilities. I am under the impression that the dynavector cartridges are known for their detail, not warmness, but I have not listened, so can't comment for sure.

I was considering the DV 10x5, but went with the 301MkII, which I like a lot.

Once I figured out how to clean my records well on the RCM, I spin whenever I get a chance, I play my ALAC files when reading, or doing other things, like finishing up my tax return.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back