Protector vs ALO RX ?
Apr 1, 2010 at 6:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

nageonix

New Head-Fier
I've searched and don't find any thread compare
these portable amp so I start this thread.

I've read that ALO RX is a great and powerful portable amp.
and the Protector is a new rsa amp that much better than
their prior amps even in single end mode.

at first I'll pair with my ES3X and I have a plan to upgrade my system.
I'm looking for a portable which is acceptable to pair with low or mid impedance fullsize headphone such as ES10, D7000, or ED8.

thank you

Apr 1, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #2 of 14
I'm also VERY interested to hear comparisons between these two amps.

Apr 2, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolardito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
..both in single ended I prefer the RX

totally agree, i'm not that impress on protector in se mode. to me, it sound very similiar to mustang. if you have a balanced to female mini, then i prefer the protector.

Apr 23, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #7 of 14
How can you take advantage of the balanced feature of the Protector with IEM's? Recablong is the only option right? I own all the TBP's IE8 UM3X 3 Hippo VB shroom-i and the only OEM's I own are Beats by Dre Studios. It seems like the protector is overkill if I can't utilize it's balanced feature.

Apr 23, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by sdotfire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How can you take advantage of the balanced feature of the Protector with IEM's? Recablong is the only option right? I own all the TBP's IE8 UM3X 3 Hippo VB shroom-i and the only OEM's I own are Beats by Dre Studios. It seems like the protector is overkill if I can't utilize it's balanced feature.

You can pick up a headphone such as the AKG 701, HD600, HD650, Denon AH-D5000, etc... And have them balanced and also pick up the XLR to balanced Protector input cable. Yes, the Protector is powerful enough to sufficiently drive these headphones. But, only out of it's balanced output. Single end will yield poor results. My suggestion is to go the custom IEM route ( JH, UE or Westone ) and get a balanced TWag cable from Whiplash Audio.

Apr 23, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #9 of 14
Well what if I don't go the custom route? What's the best unbalanced RSA amp available? I was thinking about getting the SR71A but am open to suggestions. I am considering the Arrow, ALO RX, Lisa III STD, GoVibe Vulcan VB. I really like the variable bass option and want the best amp for my current IEM's which I love.

Apr 23, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Well what if I don't go the custom route? What's the best unbalanced RSA amp available? I was thinking about getting the SR71A but am open to suggestions. I am considering the Arrow, ALO RX, Lisa III STD, GoVibe Vulcan VB. I really like the variable bass option and want the best amp for my current IEM's which I love.

The Lisa III has a bass knob. So I think that's your best bet.

Apr 23, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #11 of 14
SR71a, Mustang or Shadow are all good RSA amps for iems.

The new Pico slim and the original pico are also good, except that the slim will take a few months to get it.

Alo rx and Lisa III have been reported to have some hiss issues with iems otherwise they are good amps by report.

Apr 23, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #12 of 14
popcorn.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SR71a, Mustang or Shadow are all good RSA amps for iems.

The new Pico slim and the original pico are also good, except that the slim will take a few months to get it.

Alo rx and Lisa III have been reported to have some hiss issues with iems otherwise they are good amps by report.

which of the RSA amps is known for the best bass enhancement? I'm kinda going overboard but I am going to order an RSA, Arrow and Lisa III I think. Not sure which RSA yet, was leaning towards the SR71A or P51. Ray told me to get the SR71A but who knows...

Apr 23, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

popcorn.gif

which of the RSA amps is known for the best bass enhancement? I'm kinda going overboard but I am going to order an RSA, Arrow and Lisa III I think. Not sure which RSA yet, was leaning towards the SR71A or P51. Ray told me to get the SR71A but who knows...

I have the SR71a, Predator, Mustang, and Protector right now and I have listened to the Shadow which to me is the same as the Mustang. This is my take on these amps.

SR71a---I have to agree with Ray that this is a very nice SE amp, the advantage is that it uses standard battery that you'll never run out of regardless what happen to RSA. In addition, this is one of the few amps that can drive fullsize cans relatively well.

Predator---very small size as compare to SR71a and gives you a build in DAC. SQ is good but not as good as SR71a, mustang or Shadow and Protector.

Mustang/Shadow---even smaller in size than the Predator. It has a very fun sound signature when compare to SR71a and Predator. If you only use iems, then go for the Shadow, if not I'll go with Mustang. These are actually very good amps. Frankly, I prefer the Mustang over the SR71a even though I have both. They all have long battery life except the SR71a in which a pair of 9v will last somewhere between 10 to 18 hours depending on your mAh.

Protector---same size as the Predator and of course the only balance portable amp that I know of. Mine has been burnt in for over 600 hours and is sounding very nice. The reason to get this amp is straigtly for the balance sound. If you don't care or don't want a balance sound, either the SR71a or the mustang is a better choice.

To answer your question, I think the SR71a has a slightly better bass control and impact. But if you are getting the Lisa III that has a bass boost, you may want something different for a different feel or function. I think the Lisa III and the SR71a are the most similar of the bunch. Good luck with your amp hunting, but you can't go wrong with any of these, they are all excellent amps.

Apr 24, 2010 at 5:04 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

popcorn.gif

I have owned all three (Sr-71A, P51 and Lisa III) and very recently purchased a Protector. If you can handle the size of the SR-71A then pick one up. You really can't go wrong with any of these amps.

I don't yet have enough hours on or time with the Protector to comment on its sound. For me already owning the JH13 and TWAG cable, getting the TWAG balanced and checking out the Protector is a no brainer.

Boomana made a great comment recently in another thread. It isn't about first impressions, it is about your thoughts on equipment after owning and living with that equipment for a period of time. For me, the SR-71A has been the portable amp that I have kept. It has been the amp that over time I found myself reaching for despite having other and some would perhaps say better options available. I just happen to like the sound and what it is capable of. To me, it represents the pinnacle of the Ray Samuels house sound. Some like it, others do not. I happen to enjoy the sound of this amp immensely.

The Lisa III is a nice sounding amp, however the size didn't come close to being considered 'portable' for me and the charging time just wasn't for me. Seemingly little things like that can put one amp over another when there are a variety of options to choose from.

Where the Protector falls who knows. I look forward to playing with my new toy and putting it through its paces. For now, I am going to go listen to the SR-71A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back