Pros/Cons: Speaker amp or Active Preamp?
Sep 2, 2008 at 5:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

jpelg

Needs a regular fix of 'Fi
'06 Nat Meet Co-Coordinator
Looking for intelligent answers with reasonable substantiation, so I'm posting this query here.

What are the pros & cons of using the following to drive headphones:

1. Speaker (integrated) amp + impedance matching mechanism (resistors, transformers, etc.)

2. Active preamp + output buffer network (discrete, op-amp, transformer, etc.)

Please keep the discussion fairly down-to-earth for us challenged folk...

TIA.

smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 2, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. Speaker (integrated) amp + impedance matching mechanism (resistors, transformers, etc.)

Pros: plenty of power

Cons: can be noisy, often too much gain, waste of electricity, impedance matching works with varying degrees of success.

Quote:

Pros: usually less noise and more appropriate gain

Cons: won't drive your speakers.

Sep 2, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsavitsk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
<snip>

I can't think of much to add to that other than if you attempt to use some sort of impedance matching device you may paint yourself into a corner regarding what headphones you can use with the speaker amp. And also, good impedance matching is likely to be pretty costly.

Sep 2, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #4 of 14
As a general rule of thumb more powerful active devices trade linearity for power. When you do find a device that has good linearity and high output power, there is usually something else wrong with it (lots of input capacitance)

A device with lots of input capacitance causes problems if the stage before it cant drive that funky load. To compensate you make the driver stage from slightly more powerful devices, which makes it distort a little more... The designer rapidly chases his tail, and must make more compromises to design or price as power goes up.

Many of the truly tiny power amps that the single driver & horn speaker camp flock to can work out well for headphones. I suppose the counterargument is that some of the more powerful headphone amps work out for these speakers too.

Sep 2, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Looking for intelligent answers with reasonable substantiation, so I'm posting this query here.

What are the pros & cons of using the following to drive headphones:

Please keep the discussion fairly down-to-earth for us challenged folk...

TIA.

smily_headphones1.gif

I think it entirely depends on the application. Can we venture a bit into the practical implementation realm and see what you're trying to do?

Sep 2, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #6 of 14
Wow! Great responses so far. Thanks so much guys. Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it entirely depends on the application. Can we venture a bit into the practical implementation realm and see what you're trying to do?

Good question.

Basically, I'm just thinking outside the headphone amp box that we've come to accept as "normal" around here on Head-Fi. As I look at the higher-priced offerings, I find myself thinking that more value & flexibility could be gained from more traditional speaker gear. Not the least of which could be easily transfered toward a full-on speaker setup when desired. All that would be necessary would be to piggy-back some of our headphone technology on top of it.

Also, why is it so uncommon for headphone amps to have multiple source-switching capability? The easiest answer at the lower end is cost. However, as we approach or exceed the US$1k mark, this should not be an obstacle, and imo should be a standard feature at that price point.

So I began to approach the problem from two sides. The first being an integrated speaker amp. Such an amp would have no power issues driving headphones, especially those of higher impedance, when used with the appropriate matching interface. I already have an ASL UHC device with which I've experimented a bit, and had pretty good results. I know there are other possible variations on this theme (resistor network, etc.)

The second side would from the premise that headphone amps have more in common with traditional preamps, particularly with respect to the levels of gain required to amp headphones, and particularly low-impedance cans. Of course, the issue here (at least one anyway) is current buffering.

Which approach is better? If I am using efficient, low-impedance cans, is a quieter preamp setup with some high-current buffering to keep them well driven, the way to go?

Also, what are the pros & cons of the various ways of adapting a preamp's output for driving headphones?

That's basically where I'm going with this thought process. I welcome your inputs.

TIA.

Sep 2, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Also, why is it so uncommon for headphone amps to have multiple source-switching capability? The easiest answer at the lower end is cost. However, as we approach or exceed the US$1k mark, this should not be an obstacle, and imo should be a standard feature at that price point.

I think there are 2 things at play here.

In headphoneland, I dont think people are as concerned with multiple sources. Im seeing the same thing in a LOT of speaker-land too. Its CD or nothing for a lot of people. I think its kind of weird NOT to have a turntable and radio tuner (although I am radioless for the moment), but this is what I see.

There are some stumbling blocks with a GOOD source selector.

You have the one camp who takes alllll the wires in a big bundle from the back of the case to a selector in the front. This is probably the least expensive to build, but you have MANY MANY wires all physically in parallel which is not good for cross-talk.

Then you have the camp with relay-based switches mounted near the inputs. This is better, but there is some debate over whether relays have an effect on sound.

Next you have the folks with only a couple (usually 2 or 3) inputs, and a switch with the control in the back of the case. This gains the benefit of shorter wiring, BUT you have to reach behind the amp.

And lastly you have the group who mount a the switch in the back of the case with an extension to the front. No relay questions, shorter distance from input to switch, BUT requires more case work and a clear shot from the front to the back of the case.
Quote:

The second side would from the premise that headphone amps have more in common with traditional preamps, particularly with respect to the levels of gain required to amp headphones, and particularly low-impedance cans. Of course, the issue here (at least one anyway) is current buffering.

I think you mean gain required for HIGH impedance cans. Even with high impedance cans, people have had good success running off of a buffer DIRECTLY from a standard CD-player. If you have an RMS-meter, measure the voltage going to a HD-600 in actual use, Gain dosnt look so important anymore
wink.gif

Headphone amps do have more in common with a preamp as far as "signal purity" is concerned, but have the interesting requirement (for a preamp) of putting POWER into the load.
Quote:

Which approach is better? If I am using efficient, low-impedance cans, is a quieter preamp setup with some high-current buffering to keep them well driven, the way to go?

You know there is no definitive answer to this
wink.gif
I would suggest trying it out, and seeing if you like the results. If you can build a cmoy, just build it unity-gain with a unity-gain stable opamp.

It is actually a shame that nobody has built *just* a discrete buffer (even a simple mosfet emitter follower) as a commercial offering. Too many people think they need gain....
Quote:

Also, what are the pros & cons of the various ways of adapting a preamp's output for driving headphones?

If the output impedance of the preamp is low enough (and current capacity and caps are adequate) you can just plug the headphones in to the outputs. This keeps at least 1 active part out of the chain. EVERY active part adds distortions...

There is something of a stumbling block here. It is possible to have a VERY low output impedance that cant drive a headphone with some topologies. If the output stage is built to have an output impedance of say 12 ohms BUT a class-A bias of only 2mA it is possible that the preamp comes out of class-A, which at best screws up the sound, and worst damages the headphones. More often screwing up the sound.

If the output of the preamp cant drive the headphones directly this is where the additional active parts in a buffer can totally save the day.

Sep 3, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is actually a shame that nobody has built *just* a discrete buffer (even a simple mosfet emitter follower) as a commercial offering. Too many people think they need gain....

I think the First Watt B1 fills this role very nicely:

The First Watt B1 Buffer Preamp Article Written By Nelson Pass Of First Watt DIY Audio Kits Reviews
http://www.passdiy.com/pdf/B1%20Buffer%20Preamp.pdf

Also, there are the TVA / AVC approaches, which can be done with and without a small amount of gain (6dB or so). The king of which is probably the new Bent Audio DIY modules.

Sep 3, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

I think the First Watt B1 fills this role very nicely:

I was thinking more idle current for headphones, although I was not aware that someone had even built the "pseudo passive preamp". Of course it would be nelson-pass. I get the impression he REALLY dosnt care what people thing about how he makes good sound, just that he does.
Quote:

Also, there are the TVA / AVC approaches, which can be done with and without a small amount of gain (6dB or so). The king of which is probably the new Bent Audio DIY modules.

Do you have a link?

Sep 3, 2008 at 4:28 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was thinking more idle current for headphones, although I was not aware that someone had even built the "pseudo passive preamp". Of course it would be nelson-pass. I get the impression he REALLY dosnt care what people thing about how he makes good sound, just that he does.

Do you have a link?

that's why NP's stuff is so cool... I mean a power buffer (the F4)? how perfect for use headphone amp owners who have lots of voltage gain.

Bent Audio:

BentAudio.com :: TAP

Specifically, things like these:

BentAudio.com :: TAP

Sep 3, 2008 at 9:15 AM Post #12 of 14
I came with the conclusion that a simple current buffer (JISBOS for my project) would be THE best way to make a simple cost-effective amp.

I'm currently building a balanced JISBOS buffer/amp.
One of the major reason for this build is :

- only 1 simple buffer stage = only 1 source of noise / distortion
- no gain = no amplified noise & distortion coming from previous stages !

Sep 3, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsavitsk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a lot of money for what is actually this: intact audio

Here's my contribution, which is still a work in progress: ecp.cc

great little write-up!

I'm not sure this is the best place for questions, so I will PM you.

Sep 3, 2008 at 3:22 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

I'm not sure this is the best place for questions, so I will PM you.

Start a thread! You're not the only one thinking about building the l'espressivo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back