pros and cons: bought and not bought music
Nov 13, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #16 of 54
I obtain plenty of my music by questionable means, but I am realistic about why I do that.

I prefer to keep the money for things I don't want to steal, like headphones and housing. I could buy music AND goods, but then I would have less of both. I decided to bootleg music to have more of everything I wanted at the expense of other people, just like all of you.

Be honest with yourself. Don't blame the economy or your situation for your decisions.

Despite that, though, I usually spend about $100/month on vinyl.

Nov 13, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #17 of 54
I do both, mostly "try then buy." Most of my free music comes from friends, and I have no idea if they bought the CDs or what. I prefer to buy indie music (because most of them aren't filthy rich) and classical (because, I dunno, I guess I believe that they sound better on CD), but I don't really have qualms downloading mainstream music or getting it off my friends.

Nov 14, 2008 at 1:57 PM Post #19 of 54
I usually buy my music on CD's.
But I would prefer to buy and download lossless music online if I had the option.

Free is of course fine as well.
biggrin.gif

Nov 14, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #20 of 54
I tend to try to be when I can. But if there is some CD that I can only find online and not in a reasonably priced store I have no problem with my trusty friend bittorrent
beyersmile.png

Nov 15, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #22 of 54
I'm glad to see that most of us are willing to pay for the creativity of the artists that we enjoy.

Nov 15, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #23 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Csericks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm glad to see that most of us are willing to pay for the creativity of the artists that we enjoy.

Agreed. I buy CDs not just because I love the music but because I'm supporting the artist and (hopefully) encouraging them to continue to produce great music.

Nov 15, 2008 at 9:05 AM Post #24 of 54
i prefer to go to record fairs & shops that have enough of what i like to browse. usually it's the album cover that draws me in. so i'm not just paying for the music. downloads are there but i hope that CD & vinyl production doesn't disappear entirely. half the fun is ripping off the plastic. similar music will have similar style art. inlay credits will point to some of their collaborators.

Nov 16, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #26 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by EtherealApril /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed. I buy CDs not just because I love the music but because I'm supporting the artist and (hopefully) encouraging them to continue to produce great music.

If you want to support the artist, go see them play a live show. If you want to support lobbyist record labels, buy CDs. If its an independent label run by the musician, then do both
biggrin.gif

Nov 16, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #27 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by BadassBob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want to support the artist, go see them play a live show. If you want to support lobbyist record labels, buy CDs. If its an independent label run by the musician, then do both
biggrin.gif

Exactly
tongue_smile.gif

Dave

Nov 16, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #28 of 54
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Exactly!
A small share of a CD's selling price end up at the artist itself. Most of it is take by the store, distributor, record company, studio, and more...

Nov 16, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #29 of 54
Quote:

biggrin.gif

What if I can't go to live shows (or simply do not want to), and what if I purchase only used CDs - then am I still supporting the artists? By supporting the stores that sell their music, am I then indirectly helping support the artist as well? And am I still supporting the lobbyist record labels still even though the CDs are second hand?

Nov 16, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #30 of 54
I guess if I could get any music that I wanted anytime in the highest quality available and I could do it legally, I would prefer to get it for free. However, the artists that make such a positive contribution to my life should be supported. I end up buying most of my music and that's a lot of music every year...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back