pros and cons: bought and not bought music
Dec 10, 2008 at 5:46 AM Post #46 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess if I could get any music that I wanted anytime in the highest quality available and I could do it legally, I would prefer to get it for free. However, the artists that make such a positive contribution to my life should be supported. I end up buying most of my music and that's a lot of music every year...

My sentiments exactly but I would prefer to spend less and have the artists get more of the money paid for their music.

Dec 10, 2008 at 6:52 AM Post #47 of 54
Is there really any difference between downloading free and buying used? 90% of my CD and maybe soon my vinyl collection is/will be used so I am not supporting the artist. I do try to see a couple performances a year but other than that there is very little support from me. I don't do it that way for any other reason than tight finances. I mean $15-20 for a new CD or $1-10 for a used one, well I don't really have to think twice about that one.

Dec 25, 2008 at 10:08 AM Post #49 of 54
I once calculated I spent between $12-14,000 dollars on CDs between the age of 18 and 38. I scratched, lost or HATED about 3/4 of those purchases. Think about it, that's a CAR for god's sake. Now, I like free music. And I don't feel a wit of guilt about taking it.

Dec 25, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #50 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by ArmAndHammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there really any difference between downloading free and buying used?

Not sure. I have yet to find a good answer to this on head-fi. All I ever hear is one being legal and the other not... So maybe there isn't any real difference (atleast one difference that says you are supporting the artists, music industry, or not).

I still think supporting your local used music retailers is a way of supporting the music industry. At least that is my current logic for justifying buying cheap/used music.

Dec 26, 2008 at 9:11 AM Post #52 of 54
I mostly buy my music (Audio CD's), but am well pleased with downloading music for free as well (lossless encoded music that is).

Dec 27, 2008 at 4:58 AM Post #53 of 54
Just read through this thread and saw the above response three times, all saying the same thing in three different wordings...

Anyway, I own about 35% of my music collection on CD, the rest is downloaded or ripped from CDs owned by parents/friends. However, 100% of the additions to my library in the past year or so have been from CD purchases. My ultimate goal is to trash all my illegal music (except for maybe a few of the more rare Pink Floyd FLACs) and replace the material I really want with CDs. All subsequent music acquisitions will be via CD purchases...either new or used.

So, to make a long story short, I used to enjoy free music, but now I prefer the indulgence of high sound quality and ownership of physical media.

Dec 29, 2008 at 10:22 AM Post #54 of 54
I only download music I couldn't find in any store. That's one of the reason why I only download christian music...

I would gladly buy all of the music as CDs if I can. I can't wait to be able to order online.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back