Properly using Triple Flange Tips
Jan 10, 2013 at 5:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

asgiov

100+ Head-Fier
Sorry if the question has been asked before... but googling it.... I can't find a proper answer... 
My Monster Turbines came with Triple Flange Tips and I've had them for a quite a long time... About 2 years now... but I've never used these tips before. 

Honestly looking at them... they look intimidating... like they are going to rape your ear. Bit I've tried them out today/// 
it doesn't seem like you can get them in and fitted properly without actually pushing them all the way in until they seem to be touching the wall inside your ear. 

They sound good, are very secure, and the bass response is definitely better. But I have to wonder if I'm doing it right and if they could potentially damage my ears. 

Update: 1/13/13
I did as RapidPulse Recommended and cut off the last tip. That prevents the triple Flange from hitting the ear drum and it still gives just as good of a seal for my ears. Big improvement.... but I still felt these tips were starting to bother my ears after a couple days of constant use. 

I decided to give these a try... http://www.head-fi.org/t/383917/how-to-best-custom-tips-for-iems-ever-imho-with-pics
I got the tips from Target for a few dollars for a box of them. And they have a nice good seal and work really well for the Monster Turbines... and don't put as much pressure along the inside of the canal. 

Jan 10, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #2 of 17
Well, I don't have an answer to your damage question...but I feel the same way.  I usually clip of the 3rd flange to make it a dual.  Best combination of comfort/sound quality for me.

Jan 10, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:
pull ear back with one hand while inserting with the other! thats how I put on my tf10's with tri flanges

That seems to work for me as well. It still feels a bit weird... but it's actually not too uncomfortable. 
I may try and order some double flange as well to try them out. I don't want to cut these ones and ruin them permanently. 

Jan 11, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #6 of 17
I had no idea how to insert them before either I followed Etymotic's instructions for inserting with triple flanges, now I use the same method to insert foam tips without compressing the tips in my fingers first. Try using them for a week first and see if you can get used to them, at first they feel weird inserting so deep into the ear canal but it grew on me. If you search online for double flanges, I know meelectronics,ultimate ears,sony,sennheiser use the same bore size as monster. Goodluck! Finding the right tip to use with your earphones can be tricky and crucial for acquiring desired sound. Many people buy eartips off the meelectronics site so have a look there!

Jan 11, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:
For me the tri-flanges are the only tips for the Turbine that don't require me to constantly have to adjust and re-adjust the seal. They were a deal maker for me.

I totally agree... I never picked up and used my Turbines simply because I could never get them in my ear right...
My last IEMS.. the Shure E530s were really good... but the cable wore out and broke. I foolishly tried to fix it myself.. and broke them completely. I can see why they made the new 535s with a detachable and easily replacable cable... wish I had those. 

But the only problem I have with the triple Flange is they go too deep and hit my ear-drum... so I did as the second poster did and decided to cut off the last piece and make them a double-flange tip.. and they work perfect for me now. Very easy to get it... and a very good seal. 

Now I have the Coppers and I'm very happy with them. The only thing I'll say is, while the Coppers sound noticeably better than the blacks... it's not such a huge difference that I would recommend most people spend the extra money over the standard black versions... Though I personally just sold my Blacks on Ebay and am holding on to the Coppers. 

Jan 11, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:
I had no idea how to insert them before either I followed Etymotic's instructions for inserting with triple flanges, now I use the same method to insert foam tips without compressing the tips in my fingers first. Try using them for a week first and see if you can get used to them, at first they feel weird inserting so deep into the ear canal but it grew on me. If you search online for double flanges, I know meelectronics,ultimate ears,sony,sennheiser use the same bore size as monster. Goodluck! Finding the right tip to use with your earphones can be tricky and crucial for acquiring desired sound. Many people buy eartips off the meelectronics site so have a look there!

Thanks.. I am going to take a look at Meelectronics right now. 

Feb 6, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:
Thanks for the tip (no pun intended), the seal is excellent (the best), they're very comfortable and they don't hurt anymore.

HAHAHHAA *stops laughing immediately with a straight face*............

But really, I've found I probably don't insert the triple flange of my 4R deep enough, because I feel like I'm going to hit my ear drum.  How likely is this?  I have to have the earphone housing really deep in my ear for them to seal, or they sound bright and harsh.

Feb 6, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

HAHAHHAA *stops laughing immediately with a straight face*............

But really, I've found I probably don't insert the triple flange of my 4R deep enough, because I feel like I'm going to hit my ear drum.  How likely is this?  I have to have the earphone housing really deep in my ear for them to seal, or they sound bright and harsh.

well I've forced mine in all the way until it seals.. but I've literally hurt myself doing that... So I recommend just going double flange. 

May 28, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #13 of 17
lol... you will NOT be able to touch your ear drum with ANY of the ear tips made for IEMs...LOL...LOL... they DO have to be inserted all the way to produce a full seal and the best sound. Think about the air tight seal of a bass drum.....you don't get the full sound if the "skin" on either side of the bass drum is not fully attached all the way around the drum, right?? For me the last of the hree flanges completes this total seal and produces the most robust and fully dimensional sound.

Oct 29, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #15 of 17
http://www.etymotic.com/pdf/etycom_user_manual.pdf

Thanks for the advice from other users. Here is the manual which shows how to insert the triple flange tips. It really works well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back