PROPERLY Deciding On Amp/DAC
Jul 15, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #91 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by TStewart422 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doing the calculations; it appears that it will be able to drive just about anything thrown at it. Only downside; the size. Why can't I find a powerful DAC/Amp that will fit on a desktop? The best one size-wise is the Headroom Desktop Amp/DAC, but I'm not spending $1000 on something when I can get something with the same performance for $300...

As to «performance», you can't judge it until you hear the amp. It's not about specs. Almost all solid-state amps can drive almost everything (except for the K 1000), but the better ones will sound better. I doubt that you can find a better sounding Amp/DAC combo than the HR Desktop (this without having heard it) for $300. Don't let you talk into believing in specs!

Aug 3, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #92 of 94
Final update: I made the trek down to Guitar Center and came home with a bright and shiny (and BLUE!) Presonus HP4! My HD650s now have REAL bass and I now understand what people mean when they say they're bassy! BEAUTIFUL! Final damage: $99. BOOYAH! The only downside is that my Grados sound like CRAP through it! Why? That darned output impedance! Anyone had experience driving k701s through this marvelous device?

I also just ordered a E-mu 0404 USB through Amazon to solve my DAC problem. It also will serve a dual-purpose of driving my Grados. YEAH~! Thanks for all the help from RoyalCrown (with the OH SO CUTE avatar), Bullseye, and Oedipus Rex (for the EPIC thread)!

Aug 3, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #93 of 94
Quote:

Thanks for all the help from RoyalCrown (with the OH SO CUTE avatar)...

LOL. Enjoy your amp, it's a great device.

Quote:

I also just ordered a E-mu 0404 USB through Amazon to solve my DAC problem. It also will serve a dual-purpose of driving my Grados. YEAH~!

The 0404 USB shouldn't have any problems driving Grados, but I would use the HP4 for the K701's as they can be too power-hungry for the 0404 USB (but the HP4 exceeds the power requirements). I think you'll be fine with them, considering how the K701 behaves.

Aug 10, 2009 at 7:48 AM Post #94 of 94
False alarm. Figured it out. Both Line outputs were all the way up (didn't think they made a difference), the sample rates were set different in Audio MIDI Setup and the E-MU Control Panel (I set it back to 48 KHz while it was in USB and then switched back to S/PDIF) and I still had the EQ set on "Small Speakers." Whew!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back