Proper Way to Wear IEM's?
Oct 23, 2008 at 12:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ExtendeD

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all. The first purchase I made after visiting Head-Fi was the JVC Marshmallows. I did the Kramer Mod and loved the sound. Shortly after, I picked up the Sennheiser CX300's for $10 after rebate. It had different tips and I was a little confused. It felt really strange to have something to that far into my ear. When I put some music on I wasn't really impressed. I figured that they just weren't in properly. I pushed them in as far as they'd go but it still sounded muddy and kept falling out. Before I buy any higher end IEM's, I was just wondering the proper way to wear them. I don't want to get nice phones and not use them correctly. Am I doing something wrong? Or do I just have a "problem ear".

Thanks.

Oct 23, 2008 at 5:14 AM Post #2 of 3
So, I'm assuming you have tried all three sized tips with the CX-300 and they still don't either fit right or sound muddy. My solution was to buy a pair of comply T-500's which are used for the UE 5 pro, but fit perfectly well with either creative ep-630's and sennheiser's CX line ( The foam adapts to the size of your ear canals). This took care of the seal and those babies weren't going anywhere as far as falling out. As for muddiness, the CX-300's are pretty muddy; you can't get around that. What I did, after putting on the comply T-500 tips, was I pulled them out just a fraction from my ears and that improved the clarity. I'm using both CX-300's and CX-400's with comply's on them and that's solved my initial problem of seal and has improved the sound.

Now, I don't want to burst your bubble, but spending more isn't always the answer. I think I spent 6 months with the Ultimate Ears superfi 5 pro's trying to get the right fit and it's only been in the last month that I've been happy; but get this, the best tips for me turned out to be the tips that came with the Sennheiser CX-300, not the comply's which I originally bought for the UE's. So, it's really a mess out there and everyone has to just experiment and hope they find the perfect solution. It just seems to be a 'buy what you think you'll like' and hope for the best that they seal right and sound good.

If you think you've got problem ears, then maybe the comply tips will work for whatever IEM you decide to buy in the future. They've got tips for a wide range of IEM's, so, even though they are expensive for tips, maybe try them first and see if that takes care of most of your problems.

Comply™ Foam Replacement Tips, Noise Reduction Earphones, and Mobile Phone Earsets with Noise Reduction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back