Proper way to EQ?
Jun 24, 2021 at 5:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Lvivske

500+ Head-Fier
So for the longest time I've used an analog 4-band EQ between my DAC and amp, find my sweet spot, and then use a a 31 band software EQ to super fine tune the sound, hammer down any loose nails.

I figured it was best to leave the source audio as undoctored as possible before hitting the DAC, so most of the wild swings are in analog, and the tweaks are +/- 2db on the software level. Was always afraid of further compressing anything.

Is this the "right" way to do things, or should it be the other way around? (fine tweak out the gate, slight changes pre-amp. Or is there a better way in general to handle equalization?

Jul 1, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #2 of 2
So for the longest time I've used an analog 4-band EQ between my DAC and amp, find my sweet spot, and then use a a 31 band software EQ to super fine tune the sound, hammer down any loose nails.

I figured it was best to leave the source audio as undoctored as possible before hitting the DAC, so most of the wild swings are in analog, and the tweaks are +/- 2db on the software level. Was always afraid of further compressing anything.

Is this the "right" way to do things, or should it be the other way around? (fine tweak out the gate, slight changes pre-amp. Or is there a better way in general to handle equalization?
You should be able to find your answer in the “Sound Science” forum. You can peruse the threads in that forum, I know there’s a thread or two which deals with EQ and how to EQ properly. Once you find one of the threads you can always use the “search this thread” at the top of a page and type in key words which will help you find what your looking for, if, it’s been discussed by members. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back