Proper BURN IN techniques (SHURE SE 215)??????
Apr 13, 2011 at 3:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

DirtyD916

New Head-Fier
Just got my set of Shure SE 215's in the mail and need some burn in advice. They are my first set of good IEM's so I am a bit of a noob to the procedure. Do I just play my music continually on them for say 30 hours at a reasonable volume? Or is there a file I download and play through them instead??

Any advice is appreciated.

Apr 13, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #3 of 12
I am a big proponent of burn-in with links to burnin files in my signature but have to say this IEM is the first dynamic based IEM I have owned that hardly changes with burn-in. If you still want to burn-in search for my thread using " a tale of two IEM " and have a read through it and it will tell you all you need to know.

Apr 13, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #4 of 12
The general rule of thumb is 400 hours of burn-in for the Shure 215.  Even then, it might be advisable to burn in the cable for close to 1000 hours. 

You absolutely should not listen to the IEMs during this period.  Also, playing Rick Astley in a continual loop has been determined to be the ideal burn-in track for proper driver attenuation. 

Apr 13, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #5 of 12
I just use my SE215 normally from the first day its arrived. it did change the sound, but not very significantly. I rather use this method, because I want to hear the change...

Feb 28, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #6 of 12
Just ordered a paid of SE215 to replace a set of SE310 (both broken and I wanted more bass). Been trying to find some definitive info on burn-in, which I've never done with a pair of IEM's, so I'm curious if it's needed, what's the best method, how long, etc?

Feb 28, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
The general rule of thumb is 400 hours of burn-in for the Shure 215.  Even then, it might be advisable to burn in the cable for close to 1000 hours. 

You absolutely should not listen to the IEMs during this period.  Also, playing Rick Astley in a continual loop has been determined to be the ideal burn-in track for proper driver attenuation. 

This x2. Works well.

Oh and you must listen to it most of the time while doing so , to provide proper brain burn(slowly but surely)...

Feb 28, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #8 of 12
not sure balanace armatures need or benefit from burn-in.

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #11 of 12
Just got my set of Shure SE 215's in the mail and need some burn in advice. They are my first set of good IEM's so I am a bit of a noob to the procedure. Do I just play my music continually on them for say 30 hours at a reasonable volume? Or is there a file I download and play through them instead??

Any advice is appreciated.

Hi there,
I have tried this link to burn in two Headphones of mine and they have turned out to become much better with this. I personally play this playlist on the burn in player for 4-5 hours each day and make sure that it doesn't go more than that. I am sure you will love the results too........ http://www.tekfusiontechnologies.com/burn-in/

Hope I helped..... Don't forget to hit the Thanks button!!

Jan 19, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #12 of 12
I found minimal if any noticeable change in my SE215 before and after 100 hours of burn in...not continuous.  I played my iPod at medium volume on shuffle mode each night for the first week I had them.  I used them during the day.  This seemed sufficient to my ears.

The 400 hour rule of thumb is a new one to me.  Burn in of cables?  For 1000 hours?  This sounds a bit far fetched to me.  There is a plausible explanation for the benefits of burn in on a dynamic driver since there is physical movement of the component that creates the sound.  I would like to know the theory behind the need to burn in cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back