Prop up floorstanders
Jun 7, 2009 at 2:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mellows

100+ Head-Fier
I'm getting a pair of B&W DM602.5 S3 speakers with a Pioneer A109 integrated amp.

The speakers are 850mm tall, which might be just to short if I'm sitting at my desk - i.e. the tweeter will be visible but the midrange drives will be out of sight. I can't imagine it will sound particularly good like this, so is there any way I could prop the speakers up by say 30cm? Would it be fine to just make a little sand-filled stand for them to stand on? Or solid wood or foam or what?

Jun 7, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #2 of 7
You could get some 12" or 20" stands, I'd try and get the full woofer and vent above desktop level.

Or, if you can, get the bookshelf version and put them -on- your desk.

Edit: Oh, right, you're probably stuck with these. I'd look at a pair of Cinderblocks or the like for each speaker, maybe put down a cloth or rubber mat if you are worried about scratching the bottom of the speakers. If you can get them, stands by wood technology come in varying heights (I have a pair on my desktop), or any short-ish stand would do (maybe no higher than 24")

At my desktop which sits at 30" high, I prefer the tweeter at 17" above the desktop, so you probably want about 17" or so of elevation, or 440 mm
wink.gif

Jun 10, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #4 of 7
How about some solid wood blocks? Sometimes hardware stores have some leftover blocks from order that can be had for really cheap. They are quite heavy but that might help with vibration control.

Jun 10, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #6 of 7
Cinder blocks are good as well, and uber cheap.

But the best solution I found was at Lowes, I had to raise my JVC's off the floor for various reasons and I found these tiny stools called milk stools that are very stable and are made of nice looking wood, and arent too tall, since regular speaker stands were way too tall for floorstanders

They kind of look like these
milkStool.gif

this image is from some random site, but this should give you an idea on what it is. Mine looks much better, are about 10 inches high(the one in the pic seems to be pretty tall) and are pretty cheap as well, and has a square top.

Jun 10, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #7 of 7
Aside from wood and cinder blocks, you might want to try some aluminum offcuts. I regularly scan eBay for interesting pieces to use in amps. Run a search for aluminum plate, block, bar, etc. in the Business & Industrial category. You never know what will turn up - maybe a pair of tooling plates that look cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back