Pronunciation of "PIMETA"
Nov 6, 2003 at 6:22 PM Post #16 of 34
Indeed, greek pi is not pronounced like "pie" in other languages (in fact I find the English pronounciation disturbing given that there is an actual pie which you can eat), so I don't think I'll ever pronounce it as "pie" unless I make a conscious effort. It's up to tangent to define PIMETA, I suppose. Kind of reminds me of the case with Linux - Linus Torvalds pronounced that word differently than an english speaker would; there were wav files on the 'net at the time presenting the proper pronounciation. I don't think most people nowdays pronounce it like he did back then, but I do think that it is much closer to his than to the what it woul've been otherwise (lainux (lie-nux) was considered an abomination and Linus called it lee-nax I think, and today it's pronounced as lee-nux by most people I know).

Nov 7, 2003 at 1:57 AM Post #17 of 34
auf Deutsch: "peemaytuh" lol, a pee-tomato haha
biggrin.gif

Nov 7, 2003 at 10:43 PM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

It's up to tangent to define PIMETA

Oh, all right.

I use a short 'i'...pih-meh-tuh. Similar to "pimento". I pronounce it that way because it's a single word. "pie-meta" sounds like two words.

Nov 7, 2003 at 10:59 PM Post #20 of 34
You say "tomay-to" and I say "to-mah-to"...
You say "potay-to" and I say "po-tah-to"...
biggrin.gif

I'll probably keep thinking of it as "pie-meta" cuz I've already gotten into the habit.

Nov 7, 2003 at 11:04 PM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

I'll probably keep thinking of it as "pie-meta" cuz I've already gotten into the habit.

Don't make me come over there and beat you until you pronounce it correctly!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 8, 2003 at 12:24 AM Post #22 of 34
I actually wanted to get name suggestions from the forum, but Tangent went and named it while I was on vacation, so I'm gonna pronounce it with a long i, and damn the torpedoes.
rolleyes.gif

Nov 8, 2003 at 12:30 AM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by tangent
Don't make me come over there and beat you until you pronounce it correctly!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Well, as far as your reasoning goes ('pie-meta' sounding like two words), Meta42 sounds like three words (meta forty two)... so nyeh!
tongue.gif

[size=xx-small](cringes in anticipation of a beating...)[/size]

biggrin.gif

Nov 8, 2003 at 1:55 AM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by morsel
I actually wanted to get name suggestions from the forum, but Tangent went and named it while I was on vacation, so I'm gonna pronounce it with a long i, and damn the torpedoes.
rolleyes.gif

You mean "damn the pimentos"?

I'm reminded of Palmetto. As in the Palmetto State.

Nov 9, 2003 at 4:49 PM Post #28 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by uniuniunium
want pie

Yes, but when?

NOW is the correct answer!
biggrin.gif

Nov 11, 2003 at 6:52 PM Post #29 of 34
Dang, I had it right all along.

Even if you wish to call it like the Greek letter "pi", it would need to be (in English at least) at "pee" sound, meaning that the pronunciation would render it "pee-meta". (Tangent wisely avoided the "pee" reference, though, and called it a "pih-meh-tuh")

If you learned it the other way, it was probably in math class, which isn't really known for it's linguists.

Besides, I love the fact that this thread is still alive despite the fact that the person who named the pimeta weighed in and gave his pronunciation. Dude, if you're gonna say that you're gonna pronounce it "pie-meta" anyway, why even have a thread on this?
evil_smiley.gif

Well, pies and pimentos to all.....

BPRJam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back