Prolonged exposure to electomagnetic fields in close proximity to the brain
May 13, 2002 at 7:31 AM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by Snufkin
Perhaps they need to include a warning sticker on headphones....

Hehe. Snufkin, for some reason that reminded me of that "Happy Fun Ball" commercial on an old Saturday Night Live. Anyone remember that?

Quote:

Happy Fun Ball
Only $14.95
  1. Warning: Pregnant women, the elderly and children under 10 should avoid prolonged exposure to Happy Fun Ball.
  2. Caution: Happy Fun Ball may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.
  3. Happy Fun Ball Contains a liquid core, which, if exposed due to rupture, should not be touched, inhaled, or looked at.
  4. Do not use Happy Fun Ball on concrete.
  5. Discontinue use of Happy Fun Ball if any of the following occurs:

-- Itching
    -- Vertigo
    -- Dizziness
    -- Tingling in extremities
    -- Loss of balance or coordination
    -- Slurred speech
    -- Temporary Blindness
    -- Profuse sweating
    -- Heart Palpitations
  6. If Happy Fun Ball begins to smoke, get away immediately. Seek shelter and cover head.
  7. Happy Fun Ball may stick to certain types of skin.
  8. When not in use, Happy Fun Ball should be returned to its special container and kept under refrigeration. Failure to do so relieves the makers of Happy Fun Ball, Wacky Products Incorporated, and its parent company Global Chemical Unlimited, of any and all liability.
  9. Ingredients of Happy Fun Ball include an unknown glowing substance which fell to Earth, presumably from outer space.
  10. Happy Fun Ball has been shipped to our troops in Saudi Arabia and is also being dropped by our warplanes on Iraq.
  11. Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.
  12. Happy Fun Ball comes with a lifetime guarantee.
Happy Fun Ball - ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTES!

May 13, 2002 at 9:35 AM Post #17 of 29
It's a good thing and good for you.

It's really a sort of added dimension of music absorption. Not only is your brain interpreting sound pressure variations as music but at the same time is getting a EM version of the tune, making the atoms in your brain dance a little jig : )

No seriously, if there was any danger at all it would be from long-term constant high-level exposure, and even this has not shown to be a danger and probably is not a risk for a healthy adult.

biggrin.gif

May 13, 2002 at 11:04 AM Post #19 of 29
There was a great debate here about whether a LORAN station that was close to a highway would cause risks. There was another station, a Navy installation(not LORAN) I believe in Lualualei that recorded a high percentage of lukemia in children. Of course they say lukemia can also be traced to the amount of hotdogs eaten.
I believe there was a thread on a newsgroup of ham operators(I no longer subscribe) that said continued exposure to their 1.5 kw linear amps caused cancer.
If you have ever studied for the ham test, then you know that rf and em are harmful. How harmful? Hell people that live near radio station antennas are bombarded by kws of rf every day.
Em? You get that off of those electrical lines on your street. EM? I don't think so. Further, I think the em signal has already turned analog as in sound. Perhaps someone else can elaborate on this. I think the em signal is gone once it drives the parts that make the sound come out of your headphones.
I am NOT a doctor or electrical engineer or physicist.
md

May 13, 2002 at 2:16 PM Post #20 of 29
Jude, that was hilarious. I remember that ad on Saturday Night Live. Genius!

Hey, EMI is nothing. How 'bout us electrostatic users with 500+ volts of electricity only an inch from our brains. I haven't noticed any side effects, but I have noticed that my breasts are starting to come in nicely, and I lactate when I hear a baby cry. Is that bad?

May 13, 2002 at 4:58 PM Post #21 of 29
shl821022:
I didn't want to throw you out, sorry if my expression was a little rude. What I mean is that you cannot find the authorative evidence from radiation experts at this site. I expressed my view based on the evidence I have seen, summaries of studies presented in the press and debate articles by experts. It seems very hard to find any negative effects of low intensity EMI, but it is also impossible to totally exclude it scientifically. I am not quite shure about cellular phones becase they have a strong, very high frequency radiation, that not can be compared to headphones.

Why computer screens have been a hot topic:
Computerisation of workplaces lead to significant changes of the work environment for many people. Many didn't like it and felt bad, it might also have had real negative consequences for some employees. A not neglible proportion felt bad by working in front of the screen. Radiation was suspected and feared by many. This also had a good side. Manufactures could rather easily cut the radiation to a small fraction of the original level. The TCO-95 and TCO-99 norms were issued by a Swedish labour union, I think they are used internationally also. Norms are not limited to radiation but there are also reguirements on readability, reflection etc.
Useful knowledge: Un earthed screen can have much higher radiation than it has when earthed.
Noone complained on lamps, maybe on bad light but not radiation.

Funny little toy The measurement instrument I used is an Elfix detector (bought it for $10 at a Swedish store type Radio Shack, have seen it sells for $30 by US audio outlets, think there is a cheaper equivalent somewhere, Radio Shack?). It beeps and a lamp blinks, the more the stronger the EMI. There is a sensitivity knob to tune it to a useful reference level.
In audio it is used to check if the polarity of the AC connection affects the audio quality. It is said that components sometimes sound better one way, with the lower EMI measurement. I didn't detect any difference in IMI on my equipment.
It can also be quite usefull if you want to drill in the wall, you can detect the location of the AC wire in the wall.
You can also compare EMI from stock AC power cords with audiophile power cords (much lower EMI from these, I assume it must be shielded to be better in this aspect).
The fun of this toy was definitly worth more than 10 bucks.

May 13, 2002 at 6:40 PM Post #22 of 29
It is kinda a scary though, all of this...

I've been using headphones all my life, from back in the days where the headphones had those really nasty orange earpads, and had flat tin diaphragms (OMG, that makes me sound old!!)... so, if my brain is frying whilst listening to headphones... it must be about cooked by now
smily_headphones1.gif

My somewhat naive view on life, is that we've gotta go sometime... somewhat off topic, but when we in the UK had the BSE (don't ask me to spell what it means
wink.gif
) crisis with cows and then humans started catching it too (CDJ)... It didn't stop me eating beef... cos I like it, same with Headphones... if all of a sudden headphones proved to be deadly... well, i've gotten used to them, and like using them, so i'd die using them.

Its an interesting topic though, it'd be good to see concrete evidence one way or the other
smily_headphones1.gif

May 14, 2002 at 1:09 PM Post #24 of 29
Hey, let's see...

The force of the EM field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the drivers...

The sound pressure that you get at your ears is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the drivers...

So, exactly how does it matter whether the drivers are at the other end of the living room or strapped to your head--unless you play the headphones at the same volume as the loudspeakers?
rolleyes.gif

(This seems too simple to be right--somebody point out where I went wrong
tongue.gif
)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 15, 2002 at 6:44 AM Post #27 of 29
im positive that headphones cant give you cancer or what not, they use such little electricity, save for electrostatics... besides, you get much more radiation from your radios, cell phones, microwaves, power lines, tvs, computer screens, and a big one, the sun. theres a lot more radiation out there that can get you than the radiation coming from headphones, im sure of it... dont worry! besides, it would be worth it anyway!!!!
tongue.gif

May 15, 2002 at 4:46 PM Post #29 of 29
Actually, you probably CAN find authorotative information on radiation at this site! There are probably several engineers with experience with rads as well as some docs and other health professionals with rad experience.

As someone with enough knowledge to be dangerous in this area
biggrin.gif
, it's important to remember what IS known about EM and radiation in general...

1.) Most folks hear the word, "radiation" and immediately get a panic-type reaction. Why? Because they really don't know anything about radiation except what they have seen all those bad movies from the 50's and 60's about giant spiders or ants that have mutated because of exposure to atomic radiation.

2.) There is no shortage of folks who want you to BELIEVE that all radiation is BAAAAD. They don't want power lines, cell phones, cell phone towers, irradiated food or nuclear power. They have turned this philosophical belief into a crusade and a career that has nothing to do with the actual science and experience.

3.) Because of ths above, many lawyers have jumped on the EM/radiation bandwagon. Right now, the principle owner of the Baltimore Orioles, Peter Angelos, is working on a class action lawsuit against cell phone makers. The reason? EM radiation from the phones causes brain cancer. The problem: all available scientific evidence fails to show that this is actually the case. Thiis lack of science doesn't mean a thing. What's important in court is to have a person with a brain tumor show up in court against the Very Big Cell Phone company with it's spiffy and expensive lawyers. The jurors will feel sorry for the sick guy, look at the Very Big Cell Phone Co with it's deep pockets, and decide that a couple million dollars from them is not gonna be a big deal and could really help the sick guy. The Very Big Cell Phone Co will then be forced to pay gobs of money defending itself and will be forced to place warning stickers on their products.

That's the people part of the equation. Here's the science part.

4.) Despite the claims of many, there is no scientific evidence that EM poses any risk to humans.

5.) From a toxicology standpoint, there is no biologically plausible mechanism for EM to produce toxicity.

6.) Concerning other types of radiation, what most folks do not understand is that there is a great deal of evidence that a certain amount of radiation is actually GOOD for you! There are numerous animal models that have demonstrated improved health and prolonged survival in animals exposed to radiation compared to control animals with no additional rad exposure and animals with very high rad exposure. There are also small human population exposures that have corroborated these findings. Unfortunately, most regulators do not use this information when making risk assessments. They assume that ANY rad exposure is problematic.

Bottom line: life is ultimately fatal. There are many things in life that can hasten your departure from this world (cigarette smoking, playing with loaded guns while drunk, etc.). But using headphones is not one of those things.

Bruce

Users who are viewing this thread

Back