Proline 750s IN THE HOUSE: impressions
Feb 19, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #61 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for that link!

x2! I'll have to give that a try (apologies if this had been posted before and me not noticing
cool.gif
).

I've been using Pink's "I'm Not Dead" about 75% of the time, alternated with the "Gladiator Soundtrack" the remaining 25%, give or take.

Feb 19, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #62 of 77
Yeah, the pink noise track is great, since it exercises all the frequencies at once. I put the silence track (Track 59) just before and after it to give the drivers a little rest, and then run the whole sequence on repeat. Just be careful with the volume, James, a notch or two below normal listening level and you'll be just fine!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 19, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #63 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by s3n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shahrose what did you use for burn-in?
I'm using biwavegen.

What method do you use - Do you rest the drivers or keep pink noise on continuously?
What do you mean by loud volume?

Just picked up some 2008 proline 750's
They need some serious burn-in.

Sorry I'm a bit new to this
smily_headphones1.gif

i used 5 minutes of pink noise and 1 minute of digital silence, and looped the 2 tracks over night every night for 3 weeks.

i had heard of some people damaging the drivers by playing pink noise too loudly for 300 hours constantly (but that turned out to be a bad batch of headphones by ultrasone). that isn't supposed to happen, the prolines can take a lot of abuse. i still didn't want to take any risks so i added that 1 min silence in between pink noise tracks to give the drivers a rest period. also, in the daytime whenever i wasn't listening to them, i had pink noise cooking the drivers.

Feb 26, 2008 at 12:43 PM Post #64 of 77
i just got the pro 750's and agree with pretty much whats been said here already, sound is very good but i'm finding theres too much high frequency and high hats are sometimes too prominant but i havent burnt them in yet as i couldnt resist listening straight away, i am expecting this to go as it already seems to be smoothing out after a day.
one thing i am getting that no-one else has mentioned is they are making my ears hurt in a similar way to just before you get ringing in your ears. i dont know if this is just me or the untamed high freqency from no burn in. i have got a cold too, maybe thats something to do with it.

Feb 26, 2008 at 6:05 PM Post #65 of 77
00264167, make sure that you have plugged the headphone cable correctly all the way in. There are others making this mistake. Then, let the burn-in kick in for the next 250 hours. Do not make any judgement before this step is completed. Be ready for a very pleasant surprise! By the way, use a good headphone amp and well recorded source to fully benefit from your Pro 750s.

Feb 26, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #66 of 77
I just opened my Pro 750's and am listening to music with which I thought I had an intimate relationship. I am hearing so much more, re-falling in love, just using the stock Macbook audio-out until I have a need for an 0404 or something similar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00264167 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i just got the pro 750's and agree with pretty much whats been said here already, sound is very good but i'm finding theres too much high frequency and high hats are sometimes too prominant but i havent burnt them in yet as i couldnt resist listening straight away, i am expecting this to go as it already seems to be smoothing out after a day.
one thing i am getting that no-one else has mentioned is they are making my ears hurt in a similar way to just before you get ringing in your ears. i dont know if this is just me or the untamed high freqency from no burn in. i have got a cold too, maybe thats something to do with it.

My only point of reference is Senn HD570's so I'm a head-fi noob by any standards. I too feel an kind of unpleasant pressure on my ears, but it could be that I'm just not used to closed cans. I hope it either goes away (less likely) or I become less sensitive to it (more likely).

I was trying different ways of seating the headphones on my head because I have smallish ears and in the process I think I may have stumbled onto why so many people are convinced these (and other Ultrasones) have a nasty high-end: they're wearing them wrong.

The Wrong Way to Wear Ultrasones(?): push the phones up and backward away from your face so that the forward-bottoms of the cups are touching where your earlobes connect to your face. Notice an exaggerated high-end, complete with sizzle and no magic "S-Logic" to speak of.

The Correct Way to Wear Ultrasones(?): push the phones down and forward towards your face so that the rear-tops of the cups are against your outer-ears. Magically the high-end smoothes out and it seems like the S-Logic hand-waving magic begins to take effect.

But I've only been listening to these for about an hour, I have no prior experience with Ultrasones, and I'm a complete noob as I've already mentioned. Could any of the more experienced head-fiers and Ultrasone owners chime in on this issue? Could it really be as simple as placement, or is it just my noobiness showing?

I'll break them in anyway and see what happens after some time in the cooker.

Feb 26, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #67 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by primitiveworker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was trying different ways of seating the headphones on my head because I have smallish ears and in the process I think I may have stumbled onto why so many people are convinced these (and other Ultrasones) have a nasty high-end: they're wearing them wrong.

The Wrong Way to Wear Ultrasones(?): push the phones up and backward away from your face so that the forward-bottoms of the cups are touching where your earlobes connect to your face. Notice an exaggerated high-end, complete with sizzle and no magic "S-Logic" to speak of.

The Correct Way to Wear Ultrasones(?): push the phones down and forward towards your face so that the rear-tops of the cups are against your outer-ears. Magically the high-end smoothes out and it seems like the S-Logic hand-waving magic begins to take effect.

this is a very important point that was not mentioned in this thread but was covered extensively by dex and others in the large ultrasone thread. your finding is completely true. good initial finding for a "noob"
smily_headphones1.gif

regardless, the headphones are still slightly bright, definitely brighter than neutral, but not offensively so unless the recording is hot in the upper registers.

Feb 26, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #68 of 77
I'm confused. in that thread it says not to push it down and towards the front because that is for conventional headphones (the meier illustration) and not for the ultrasones

Feb 26, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #69 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by primitiveworker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Very important point...I do this with great results. Forward is more important to me than down.

Feb 27, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #70 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm confused. in that thread it says not to push it down and towards the front because that is for conventional headphones (the meier illustration) and not for the ultrasones

yea i was confused too, but i tried it out myself. i just did what sounded best, and for me it was moving the headphones forward on my head. the moving down part is not so important since the driver openings are already pretty low but don't rule it out, try it to see if it sounds better to you.

Feb 27, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #72 of 77
Quote:

ok now to decide whether to get the proline 750 or one of the new 580/680/780 hfis

I decided on the Pro750's because I wear headphones 8-12 hours a day (velour pads) as programmer in a noisy environment (closed) and as a hobbyist music producer (advertised as reference monitors) and frequently travel (foldable + hard case).

The extra cable and pads are a nice bonus.

Feb 27, 2008 at 2:45 AM Post #75 of 77
Quote:

ok now to decide whether to get the proline 750 or one of the new 580/680/780 hfis

i say go for the pro750s. they use drivers that have better extension and are more technically advanced/superior. however, i haven't heard the hfi780s so i can't tell you which sounds more pleasing in terms of tonal balance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back