Project Sunrise vs Little Dot Mk III
Nov 19, 2012 at 11:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

JCYC5

100+ Head-Fier
Hello gentlemen,

Was wondering if anyone had any opinion comparing these two? I'm a newbie to the whole tube amp action... my location here in Edmonton, AB means that there aren't any audio meets I can go to in order to try things out, so I'm going to have to go in head first.

Lots of positive comments on these two amps, but nothing really comparing them. They are at a similar price point (I will purchase the Project Sunrise as an assembled amp if I was to go that way!)

Listening will be done with with Senn HD 600 from my computer/laptop using a Audinist HUD-mini DAC. Mostly jazz/classical/classic rock.

Thanks!

Nov 20, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:
Was wondering if anyone had any opinion comparing these two? I'm a newbie to the whole tube amp action... my location here in Edmonton, AB means that there aren't any audio meets I can go to in order to try things out, so I'm going to have to go in head first.
Lots of positive comments on these two amps, but nothing really comparing them. They are at a similar price point (I will purchase the Project Sunrise as an assembled amp if I was to go that way!)
Listening will be done with with Senn HD 600 from my computer/laptop using a Audinist HUD-mini DAC. Mostly jazz/classical/classic rock.

I've wondered about the Little Dot MKIII verses Project Sunrise also.
Sent an email to the Project Sunrise people asking if they could list any advantages the Sunrise has over the LD MKIII, never heard back.

Dec 7, 2012 at 5:16 AM Post #3 of 6
Yeah the Sunrise even shouldn't be compared to commercial offerings, it's far better than the LD MKIII. The thing with the Project Sunrise II, is that it's mostly DIY with Jeremy and another guy at RockGrotto who designed the amp. That means that even though the commercial offerings have advantage of economies of scale, it's only to a certain extent. The Sunrise has been compared favorably to the Schiit Lyr at http://www.head-fi.org/t/601207/project-sunrise-ii-kit-review. I can paste what was said there about the Sunrise and the Lyr according to MisterRogers:

I've spent the last couple of days listening to my HE-500's with Project Sunrise II.
Compared to Lyr, Lyr has the following advantages: * Power. While PSII is in no way underpowered for these headphones, extra power equals extra headroom.
This to me, translates to slightly more air and space. * Slightly wider sound stage. Compared to Lyr, PSII has the following advantages: * Slightly better detail. * Slightly deeper sound stage. Overall, with HE-500's I could switch to PSII full time and not miss too much.

Actually, I think you can buy it on from the Project Sunrise site or on ebay for like $300, I'm not sure. I'm ready to get one, for the HD650 I'm getting since I'd like more detail of the Sunrise, better than a wide soundstage of the Lyr, but I'm deciding whether to get either the Odac, the TEAC or the Bifrost, I've heard differences between DACs in the £200-£400 range are minute, even in blind tests, I dunno, which to get.

Dec 7, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
Yeah the Sunrise even shouldn't be compared to commercial offerings, it's far better than the LD MKIII. The thing with the Project Sunrise II, is that it's mostly DIY with Jeremy and another guy at RockGrotto who designed the amp. That means that even though the commercial offerings have advantage of economies of scale, it's only to a certain extent. The Sunrise has been compared favorably to the Schiit Lyr at http://www.head-fi.org/t/601207/project-sunrise-ii-kit-review. I can paste what was said there about the Sunrise and the Lyr according to MisterRogers:

I've spent the last couple of days listening to my HE-500's with Project Sunrise II.
Compared to Lyr, Lyr has the following advantages: * Power. While PSII is in no way underpowered for these headphones, extra power equals extra headroom.
This to me, translates to slightly more air and space. * Slightly wider sound stage. Compared to Lyr, PSII has the following advantages: * Slightly better detail. * Slightly deeper sound stage. Overall, with HE-500's I could switch to PSII full time and not miss too much.

Actually, I think you can buy it on from the Project Sunrise site or on ebay for like $300, I'm not sure. I'm ready to get one, for the HD650 I'm getting since I'd like more detail of the Sunrise, better than a wide soundstage of the Lyr, but I'm deciding whether to get either the Odac, the TEAC or the Bifrost, I've heard differences between DACs in the £200-£400 range are minute, even in blind tests, I dunno, which to get.

I ordered Project Sunrise 2 this week, delivery to Finland within 1-2 weeks. I saw PS2 was cheaper on their ebay page than on their original website but tbh I do not mind spending a little extra cash on someone that in these dreary economic times runs it as their personal business and takes pride in his product and builds on order. So far great response even though he is on travels.

Little unsure which DAC to get but pointing to ODAC.

Dec 7, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #5 of 6
^ you could also get an Epiphany Acoustics Edac in the UK, which is basically the same as an Odac and save up on shipping, instead of shipping an Odac from the US to Finland.
I'm getting a PSII kit, shipped from the US in the nxt 3mnths, since us college guys r perpetually broke, can't buy it right away:frowning2: and also since I've always wanted to try my hands at some DIY.
I'm going to get the Edac, since it's really cheap in the here in the UK and
upgrade to Buffalo III Dac kit with a Sabre later shipped from the US, then compare the two in a blind test, maybe I won't notice the difference, lol.

Dec 8, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #6 of 6
Just wanted to highlight for abit this great bang for buck amp, especially if you'd rather buy it fully built, rather than buying a kit... since it seems getting harder, to the actual website for the amp, it has gotten a bit harder since a few months ago to find especially thru Google (must be an unlikely field of search, since typing 'Project Sunrise' into the search engine leads you to the kit page only on Ebay).
So if you want to buy the amp fully built you can get it on http://www.garage1217.com/, then go to built amplifiers. Hopefully some more people will have the amp, so that when I get stuck building mine, I can just ask here instead of signing up to the Rockgrotto forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back