Project Sunrise/PS2 Tube Rolling Thread (and maybe even Project Horizon and Project Ember)
Nov 25, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #376 of 412
I've done a little rolling lately with a couple of tubes that I haven't seen used in any Garage1217 amps yet- the 6C8G and 6F8G! I have a T-S round plate black glass, Raytheon, and RCA 6F8G and Ken-Rad and Sylvania 6C8Gs. I have listened to them all and I am happy to report they sound fantastic in the Sunrise! They look cool, too. Here's the Ken-Rad:

20151125_210231_zps9bhshbn2.jpg

20151125_210250_zps6272zetg.jpg

However, all of the tubes have an annoying buzz in the left channel audible when the volume is low. IIRC the 6F8G family can be microphonic, but the buzz is consistent across all of my tubes, the right channel is not microphonic on any of my tubes, and the left channel happens to be the capped triode which (again IIRC) should be more isolated from interference. I wonder if the issue is the eBay 6F8G to 12AU7 adapter. If I touch the adapter or the grid wire the buzz gets worse. Also, it is really wide. It barely fits through the tube opening in the top cover and doesn't fit all the way into the amp's socket because it sits atop the LED jumper! Removing the jumper lets the adapter seat properly but does nothing to reduce the buzz.

20151125_210758_zpsengf75zh.jpg

I might buy or try to make a 6F8G to 6SN7 adapter but that leads to a Leaning Tower of Adapters. I'm also thinking of getting another Garage1217 6SN7 to 12AU7 adapter and modifying that, but I am a bit concerned that cutting traces and splicing wires in their place to match the 6F8G pin out might introduce cross-talk.

Dec 11, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #377 of 412
I'm looking for one more tube for the Project Sunrise III. I'm enjoying the Electro-Harmonix 12BH7 Gold Pin right now, but I'm trying to find an additional tube that has maximum bass.

What's a reasonably-priced (<$40) tube that is easy to find (so either current or common NOS), has maximum bass/sub-bass, good mids, and smooth (rolled off is okay) treble? Oh, and I don't need much gain on it either.

Thanks!

Dec 14, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #378 of 412
  I'm looking for one more tube for the Project Sunrise III. I'm enjoying the Electro-Harmonix 12BH7 Gold Pin right now, but I'm trying to find an additional tube that has maximum bass.

What's a reasonably-priced (<$40) tube that is easy to find (so either current or common NOS), has maximum bass/sub-bass, good mids, and smooth (rolled off is okay) treble? Oh, and I don't need much gain on it either.

Thanks!

Sticking with 9-pin tubes, the Amperex Holland-made 12AU7s (especially the Bugle Boys) and Siemens 12AU7 are supposed to have very good bass but may be out of your price range. I haven't listened to either.

For American tubes, out of the ones in my collection the Tung-Sol black glass/black plate 12AU7, T-S black plate 12BH7A, and Sylvania triple mica 5814A all have good bass. The T-S black glass is the bassiest of them but they are rare and can get expensive. The Sylvania and T-S 12BH7A might fall into your price range.

You may also want to ask in the Project Ember thread. This one is pretty dead.

Feb 14, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #379 of 412
Has anyone here used the dual 6J5 setup with the Sunrise? I got a set of the highly praised Visseaux 6J5s . I bought the 6Sn7 to 12Au7 adapter from Jeremy then an adapter for two  6J5 to 6SN7.
I plugged it all in last night but could not get the bias set. I saw a discussion where Jeremy said that the 6SN7 needed to have the voltage setting on the Sunrise set to 12 volts (??). So I did that.
If there is anyone here that has gotten this to work, please tell me what I am missing. I believe there is a guy on the Ember tube rolling thread that has played with this on his Sunrise, hopefully he watches here as well.

Thanks for any help.

Feb 14, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #380 of 412
  Has anyone here used the dual 6J5 setup with the Sunrise? I got a set of the highly praised Visseaux 6J5s . I bought the 6Sn7 to 12Au7 adapter from Jeremy then an adapter for two  6J5 to 6SN7.
I plugged it all in last night but could not get the bias set. I saw a discussion where Jeremy said that the 6SN7 needed to have the voltage setting on the Sunrise set to 12 volts (??). So I did that.
If there is anyone here that has gotten this to work, please tell me what I am missing. I believe there is a guy on the Ember tube rolling thread that has played with this on his Sunrise, hopefully he watches here as well.

Thanks for any help.

i was planning on giving this a try, what exactly is going on ?
i had a 6n1p that would not bias correctly until i bypassed the caps, biases fine now

Feb 14, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #382 of 412

Thanks for any help.

That might have been me. I was toying with the idea, but I haven't actually done it yet. Like jaywillin said, try bypassing the input capacitors. That worked for me with some of my more reluctant tubes like the 6SL7 and some of my very used tubes. The only downside to it is that you will get a scratching noise when you adjust the volume. No big deal.

I have the CNC chassis on the way for my Sunrise III. I've also got a pair RCA 12BH7A black plates on the way. Pretty excited to try out the RCA tubes.

Nice! The CNC chassis looks killer on this amp. 12BH7s are nice-sounding tubes, enjoy them.

Feb 14, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #383 of 412
Oh yeah! Here's my new work stack. An MHDT Labs Atlantis (R-2R NOS Tube DAC using legendary AD1862N-J chips) with Western Electric 396A tubes going into my Garage1217 Project Sunrise III. In the picture it has the acrylic chassis with an Electro-Harmonix 12BH7 Gold Pin tube. CNC chassis and an RCA tube (1950s, 2x long black plates, white lettering) will replace those. Note how you can see inside the Atlantis.. I have a thing for seeing into gear.

Feb 14, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #384 of 412
  Oh yeah! Here's my new work stack. An MHDT Labs Atlantis (R-2R NOS Tube DAC using legendary AD1862N-J chips) with Western Electric 396A tubes going into my Garage1217 Project Sunrise III. In the picture it has the acrylic chassis with an Electro-Harmonix 12BH7 Gold Pin tube. CNC chassis and an RCA tube (1950s, 2x long black plates, white lettering) will replace those. Note how you can see inside the Atlantis.. I have a thing for seeing into gear.

having some tunes at work is always a plus ! nice set up
i'm taking part in a tour of the stockholm v2 from mhdt, it'll be my first experience with mhdt, and an r2r dac, i'm looking forward to it

Feb 14, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #385 of 412
  i was planning on giving this a try, what exactly is going on ?
i had a 6n1p that would not bias correctly until i bypassed the caps, biases fine now

I installed the Garage 1217 adapter then the 6J5 to 6SN7 adapter, put the two Visseaux 6J5 tubes on the adapter, set the Sunrise to 12 volts and tried to set the bias.
I worked the pot from one end of its travel to the other. The light indicating high bias would not go out. I did not try using the amp. I will try bypassing the input caps to see if that helps..
I am curious to know about that 12 volt setting. I saw Jeremy comment on that using a 6SN7. I did not see any explanation. It is a bit strange seeing that these are 6 volt tubes. I dropped a quick note to Jeremy asking about this. Hopefully will get some clarification.

Feb 14, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #386 of 412

I installed the Garage 1217 adapter then the 6J5 to 6SN7 adapter, put the two Visseaux 6J5 tubes on the adapter, set the Sunrise to 12 volts and tried to set the bias.
I worked the pot from one end of its travel to the other. The light indicating high bias would not go out. I did not try using the amp. I will try bypassing the input caps to see if that helps..
I am curious to know about that 12 volt setting. I saw Jeremy comment on that using a 6SN7. I did not see any explanation. It is a bit strange seeing that these are 6 volt tubes. I dropped a quick note to Jeremy asking about this. Hopefully will get some clarification.

good luck, and keep us posted !

Feb 14, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #387 of 412

I talked to Jeremy when I first received the Sunrise and tried to get a 12SN7 to work with his adapter (it didn't). He said the 12V setting is there so tubes that can run off of either 6.3V or 12.6V (i.e. 12AX7, 12BH7) will work in this amp. Whether in 6V or 12V mode, the Sunrise puts out 6.3V. That's why the 12V versions of 6V tubes like the 12FQ7 and 12SN7 won't work- the heaters on those tubes only run off of 12.6V.

More specifically (please correct me if I'm wrong, this part is from my independent research, not Jeremy), the 6V-12V jumper energizes the #9 socket when the jumper is set to 12V and turns it off in 6V mode. The other sockets operate the same either way.

On tubes with the "9A"-type pinout like the 12AX7, the #4 and #5 pins are used together on one side of the heater circuit and the #9 pin is used on the other side when in parallel (6.3V) operation. In series (12.6V) operation only the #4 and #5 pins are used for the heaters.

On tubes with the "9AJ"-type pinout like the 6DJ8, the #9 pin is either not connected or is connected to a shield between the triodes. Only the #4 and #5 pins are used for the heaters.

Feb 14, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #388 of 412
  I talked to Jeremy when I first received the Sunrise and tried to get a 12SN7 to work with his adapter (it didn't). He said the 12V setting is there so tubes that can run off of either 6.3V or 12.6V (i.e. 12AX7, 12BH7) will work in this amp. Whether in 6V or 12V mode, the Sunrise puts out 6.3V. That's why the 12V versions of 6V tubes like the 12FQ7 and 12SN7 won't work- the heaters on those tubes only run off of 12.6V.

More specifically (please correct me if I'm wrong, this part is from my independent research, not Jeremy), the 6V-12V jumper energizes the #9 socket when the jumper is set to 12V and turns it off in 6V mode. The other sockets operate the same either way.

On tubes with the "9A"-type pinout like the 12AX7, the #4 and #5 pins are used together on one side of the heater circuit and the #9 pin is used on the other side when in parallel (6.3V) operation. In series (12.6V) operation only the #4 and #5 pins are used for the heaters.

On tubes with the "9AJ"-type pinout like the 6DJ8, the #9 pin is either not connected or is connected to a shield between the triodes. Only the #4 and #5 pins are used for the heaters.

Real good information. I need to track through the two adapters and decipher what ends up at each pin on the dual adapter.
I will bypass the input caps and try that.

THX!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back