Project Sunrise II Kit Review
Feb 15, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #91 of 108
The #3 post in this thread basically says the same thing in comparing the Lyr to the PS II as what they told you on the Mad Dogs thread Kamahkahah.

My Horizon and Beyer DT880 combo will make my ears bleed before I run out of headroom but then they aren't planar headphones. Although I've never heard planar headphones, I know they like power. My Magnepan MMG's are planar speakers and I know they will take all the power I can give them and still handle more. I once bridged a couple amps together to power just one of my speakers. I think it was more than 400 watts I was dumping into them and they seemed to have no problem handling it. I've read of people hooking there T50RP's (or other planar headphones) into speaker amps and liking the sound a lot. http://www.head-fi.org/t/614134/is-it-true-that-modded-t50rps-specifically-lffs-paradox-mod-is-comparable-to-high-end-headphones-such-as-the-lcd2/270

After what I've heard, I would probably gamble on the Ember as the best match for planar headphones with the large amount of power it'll have.

Feb 17, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #92 of 108
Well, the Horizon sounds great. Very transparent and it takes away overly "metallic" taste from my music. This is my first tube amp, but reading all kind of stuff about them I was expecting to hear less detailed sound and, well, more of a warmer signature, I guess. So far this amp seems very balanced, which is great for rock/metal I usually listen to. When it burns in a little bit and I get used to its sound more, will post more impressions.

And I could not express how awesome Jeremy and Frans from garage audio are. I had some trouble when assembling the unit - the guy to whom I gave it propably applied too much heat on some elements... Replies to my emails from the engineers of this amp have been really detailed and fast, some really outstanding support.

Feb 19, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #93 of 108
Anyone know if the line-out on the Project Sunrise ii a pre-amp out or just a pass through?

Feb 20, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #94 of 108
Quote:
Anyone know if the line-out on the Project Sunrise ii a pre-amp out or just a pass through?

On the Horizon (and on the PS II I assume) it's a preamp out controlled with the volume knob. It's also not muted when 'phones are plugged in. I forgot that at midnight one night to the annoyance of my neighbors. Had my headphones on  and turned up the volume. Didn't know that I'd left my speaker amp on till I realized I shouldn't be feeling bass in my whole body. 
size]

Feb 20, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #95 of 108
On the Horizon (and on the PS II I assume) it's a preamp out controlled with the volume knob. It's also not muted when 'phones are plugged in. I forgot that at midnight one night to the annoyance of my neighbors. Had my headphones on  and turned up the volume. Didn't know that I'd left my speaker amp on till I realized I shouldn't be feeling bass in my whole body. 
size]

Niice :p and thanks for answering. Also, there's a steam kind of noise followed by a sharp key clinking type of sound that comes through my headphones when I power on the amp. Is that normal? I'm guessing its just the tube warming up (stock tube, neeed to upgrade)

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #96 of 108
Quote:
Niice
tongue.gif
and thanks for answering. Also, there's a steam kind of noise followed by a sharp key clinking type of sound that comes through my headphones when I power on the amp. Is that normal? I'm guessing its just the tube warming up (stock tube, neeed to upgrade)

Yes, I've heard that. I believe that the click is a relay that mutes the amp until the tube warms up enough to be used.

Just tried it and I can't hear it through the headphones right now but I know what you mean. Maybe the hiss-click noise through the headphones is only with some tubes.
size]

Jul 4, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #103 of 108
Quote:
Must say the Project Sunrise II amp makes some serious magic with the Hifiman HE-500, mine is not even burned in yet and I can't stop tapping my feet. This amp has some serious volume output!

im glad to hear this!

my  brother bought me a Project Sunrise II for my birthday.  i already have a more than a few 12v and 6v tubes and some of them cost a pretty penny. can any of you PSII and HE-500 owners recommend ny tubes or modsthat made a difference?

Jul 4, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #104 of 108
im glad to hear this!

my  brother bought me a Project Sunrise II for my birthday.  i already have a more than a few 12v and 6v tubes and some of them cost a pretty penny. can any of you PSII and HE-500 owners recommend ny tubes or modsthat made a difference?

I'm pretty sure that there is a project sunrise ii tube rolling thread. Probably more recommendations already there if you search it. Hope you enjoy yours.

Aug 18, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #105 of 108
How does ember compare to beta22 and ehha?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back