Project FrankenSixFifties(tm) (w/pics)
Jan 18, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #61 of 76
Is it possible to build my own pair of 580/600/650s?

I'm going for cheapest, so if it's cheaper to build a pair of 580s, then I'll do it. I'll do any combination as well.

Jan 18, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #62 of 76
you can order parts for any of those 3 phones and mix/match them.

call sennheiser (phone, not web or mail) and they'll walk you thru it if you ask them to. they can help you get all the parts to 'build' your own. I would not quite highlight the fact that you're building one entirely from parts, when you're on the phone, though
wink.gif

Jan 18, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #63 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by digger945 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I maybe that's the only difference between the 580/600/650's is that Senn hand matches the drivers for the 650(or not?).

There's the cable too
smily_headphones1.gif
I bought a HD600 cable ages ago for the 1/4" connector.

Of course Its mostly marketing and markup. I doubt the 650/600 costs Senn more than €3.00 more to make then the 580 did.

On the other hand this thread has me thinking about getting a few 'spare parts' for my 580s. Ear cushions at least. I had thought about getting the 600 grills. Never occurred to me to swap the drivers or headband.

Great thread.

Jan 18, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #64 of 76
I really don't like the 600 grills vs 580. 580 was more robust (did not dent like 600's do). they both provide the same function and its arguable if one is better than the other, sound wise. but surely one is way more dentable and I find that a negative, in the long run.

that would basically lock you into the whole 580 infrastructure. when I ordered, they did not have all the 580 parts. maybe they do now, you'd have to call and check.

when you order 'whole headbands' DO remember to order both parts; the headband assembly and the lower half rings that 'angle' into place and secure the cable connector parts to the headphone cups. those half circle parts are NOT included in the headband package (at least for the 650 band). I still don't have my lower half-circle bezel parts and have not inquired what their part # or cost is, but I'm running my 650's without that. just being really careful not to hit the connectors at the phones/cup point since the lack of bezels makes that connection especially weak and fragile ;(

Jan 18, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #65 of 76
linuxworks,

Have you compared your DIY 650s to any genuine 650s? And if so, have you noticed any difference?

Thanks.

Jan 18, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #66 of 76
I have not compared them. I doubt I'd be able to tell any diff. why would there be any? I used all senn parts. I would not even do this test as I already can guess what the result would be (they'd sound like any other sample from the hd650 series; sample to sample variation is all one would notice).

no mods were done; no baffling or 'dynamat' (oh please!) or anything other than using snap-together parts.

I assure you that there is NO talent in doing a snap-on assembly job (lol).

Jan 18, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #67 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have not compared them. I doubt I'd be able to tell any diff. why would there be any? I used all senn parts. I would not even do this test as I already can guess what the result would be (they'd sound like any other sample from the hd650 series; sample to sample variation is all one would notice).

no mods were done; no baffling or 'dynamat' (oh please!) or anything other than using snap-together parts.

I assure you that there is NO talent in doing a snap-on assembly job (lol).

Thanks, I'm thinking I might but some 650 drivers for my 600s...

Jan 19, 2010 at 11:17 AM Post #68 of 76
Quote:

I really don't like the 600 grills vs 580. 580 was more robust (did not dent like 600's do). they both provide the same function and its arguable if one is better than the other, sound wise.

Good to know. The grills are about the only part other than the drivers that might make a real change to the sound. One would think that the different grills are tuned to the different drivers, but who knows. The true difference might be cosmetic.

A tighter headband would make a change too, but I wouldn't want to wear anything tighter.

The 600 cable is a worthwhile upgrade but not for sonic reasons.

If the 600 or 650 ear pads fit on otherwise stock 580s, maybe I'll just get a set of ear pads.

Sep 3, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #71 of 76

Quote:
Quote:

I really don't like the 600 grills vs 580. 580 was more robust (did not dent like 600's do). they both provide the same function and its arguable if one is better than the other, sound wise.

Good to know. The grills are about the only part other than the drivers that might make a real change to the sound. One would think that the different grills are tuned to the different drivers, but who knows. The true difference might be cosmetic.

A tighter headband would make a change too, but I wouldn't want to wear anything tighter.

The 600 cable is a worthwhile upgrade but not for sonic reasons.

If the 600 or 650 ear pads fit on otherwise stock 580s, maybe I'll just get a set of ear pads.

According to the Sennheiser USA store website, the ear cushions for 580, 600 and 650 are the same (Part number 050635).

Oct 30, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #72 of 76

Quote:
I really don't like the 600 grills vs 580. 580 was more robust (did not dent like 600's do). they both provide the same function and its arguable if one is better than the other, sound wise. but surely one is way more dentable and I find that a negative, in the long run.

that would basically lock you into the whole 580 infrastructure. when I ordered, they did not have all the 580 parts. maybe they do now, you'd have to call and check.

when you order 'whole headbands' DO remember to order both parts; the headband assembly and the lower half rings that 'angle' into place and secure the cable connector parts to the headphone cups. those half circle parts are NOT included in the headband package (at least for the 650 band). I still don't have my lower half-circle bezel parts and have not inquired what their part # or cost is, but I'm running my 650's without that. just being really careful not to hit the connectors at the phones/cup point since the lack of bezels makes that connection especially weak and fragile ;(

Sorry about bumping an old thread but did you ever get around to ordering the lower trim piece for the HD650 headband? Thank you so much for this thread. I'm planning on doing the element upgrade very soon!

Feb 11, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #74 of 76
Here is the list of part numbers, description and prices that I have and that are mentioned throughout this thread:

Code:
 050635 Earpads    $??/each 092885 Cable      $12 092855 Driver     $40/each ?????? Headband   $85 ?????? 650 Grills $40/each 092815 600 Grills $6/each 092538 Lower trim $??/each

I've owned each of the 580/600/650. I must say that the 650 band is stiffer than the other two. Aesthetically, I don't know what they were thinking with regard to the 600 band. But I'd prefer them 650 > 600 > 580.

I recommend the DarthMod for a cheaper 580/650 headband though since the 600 grills will match a black headband:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/235262/edu-how-to-mod-your-senn580#post_2896528

Clearly, the bulk of the cost is in the drivers, the headband and those grills. I do recall that the grills on the 650 are made of a much stiffer material.

Mar 21, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #75 of 76
[size=10pt]I stumbled upon this thread yesterday while doing some research. I had recently ordered new pads for my 650s, as well has a 580/600 headband cushion - and while I was at it- some 580 elements (for a side project).....at some point the order got screwy, and I had to call today. I’m now glad my order did not effectively get processed. I saved about 40 bucks and I’m getting HD650 elements instead.[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]I don’t want to list prices that are already listed- but it definitely is surprising when you pay less for the 650 element.[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]This thread is proof we are overly dependent on the web, Like many of you; I scoffed at the notion of speaking directly with another human- that would be......barbaric! [/size]
[size=10pt]Over all- Sennheiser has always been a product of choice for me- I love the product, and I appreciate the ease of dealing with them when I have too.[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]pS: Linuxworks, Love the pics on the first page- did you ever get pics of the Headband Complete that you ordered (if this was someone else- my apology).[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back