Project FrankenSixFifties(tm) (w/pics)
Dec 13, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #16 of 76
You have to call them (Sennheiser).

linuxworks,

Are the drivers matched? I have read Sennheiser matches the headphone drivers, but since you got them as replacement parts I have no idea if such process is done, did you enquire about this?

Dec 13, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #17 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by willne1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
linuxworks...how did you get these elements? I don't even see them on there web site. Any updates on the sound comparison?

I think I'm hearing what others have also been saying - that there is a midrange dip and the bass is a bit boomier (it works well for some music and not so well for others). there needs to be more weeks (I think) of break-in before giving a real opinion, though.

I tend to like a more subdued midrange anyway, so these may reduce fatigue for me.

yes, I called sennheiser and gave them the numbers on my boxes. so if you want, just copy down the exact #'s from MY boxes and call them. its that simple. no 'test' needed, no proof of '650 buyers club' or anything like that.

just ask for 'repair and replacement parts' when calling.

Dec 13, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #18 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaMnEd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
linuxworks,

Are the drivers matched? I have read Sennheiser matches the headphone drivers, but since you got them as replacement parts I have no idea if such process is done, did you enquire about this?

I honestly don't believe this, myself.

think about this - WHAT are you going to match, exactly? 2 drivers have 2 different curves. are you going to match at 100hz, 1k, 10k? how does one 'compare' mountainous landscapes (freq response curves) and 'match'?

I believe this to be marketing 'justification' for higher prices. I don't buy into it.

what I do buy into is proper manufacturing tolerances where a whole batch can be considered to be inherently matched.

I fully understand matching R's and C's and even transistor HFE's when building amps; but matching driver elements seems like 'audiophile talk' and I'm more of a science guy than that
wink.gif

the 2 drivers they sent me sound 'equal enough' for my ears. not sure what else I'd need and since I'm not buying these as 'test equipment'
wink.gif

Dec 13, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #19 of 76
Fair enough
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 13, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #20 of 76
if they did provide a matching service, I might consider paying for it as long as it wasn't overly expensive, but I'd also expect graphs of each driver to PROVE to me that they did something for the money
wink.gif

do brand new 650's come with charts? real ones that were measured from the actual drivers?

or do people just go on faith that this is being done?

personally, I'm often of the mind of "pics or it didn't happen" (lol) as kids today are fond of saying
wink.gif

Dec 14, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #25 of 76
it's funny because the drivers for the 580s on their website are $55.75

someone please explain how the 650 drivers can be cheaper than the 580 drivers?

Dec 15, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #27 of 76
They refer to the part as "element", singular, so I think the price is for the single driver.

It is quite possible the on-line price is not regularly updated (or many reasons), and if someone calls them, you may find the 580/600 driver is actually cheaper.

Dec 16, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #28 of 76
Might also be the law of supply and demand on out of production products, just a thought.
Nice mod though.

Dec 16, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #29 of 76
update: I called in to inquire about buying a headband and 2 grills so I would have a complete 2nd pair
wink.gif

cost of the 580 headband is $50 and the 650 headband is $85. I decided to put the 650 drivers on the 650 band - so that I can tell the 2 sets apart.

the only thing left was grills. something like $3 for the 600 grill (ea) but $40 for the 650 ones (ea) !! I didn't write down the exact prices but I quickly bought 2 of the 600 grills and so I'll have a complete full 650 but only with 600 series grills. all parts are in stock so I should have them later this week, perhaps.

I do think I like both, the 580 and the 650 'sound'. the 580 is the more neutral one but the 650 might be more exciting in some forms of music. its worth keeping both, I think.

the total 'build' cost seems to be in the $225 range for a from-scratch 650 (w/600 grills).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back