Project FrankenSixFifties(tm) (w/pics)
Dec 16, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #31 of 76
the only part I didn't ask for a quote on was the retail box.

that wasn't worth the extra $100 to me (grin)
wink.gif

Dec 16, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #34 of 76
While what you did was neat and you think you have a "cheap" pair of HD650's... you're not getting the matched drivers. OE (HD650) the pair of drivers are matched for response, but when you order a replacement it's not going to be matched any longer to the existing driver. I also doubt that buying a "set" of drivers from Senn that they'll come matched as well, since you buy them individually.

Just saying, the big fuss about them is being precisly matched to some level.

Dec 17, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #35 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwpowere36m3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While what you did was neat and you think you have a "cheap" pair of HD650's... you're not getting the matched drivers.

I was waiting for someone to chime in about matching drivers
wink.gif

some people may believe it. some may care. I kind of don't believe they match and I actually don't care as much.

matching single-value parts is easy. matching things that have freq responses like mountains, nah, not sure how you can 'match' them. this driver has a slight peak over here, lets try to match that - oops, but the valley over there isn't matching this one. you see what I'm saying? matching 2 mountain ranges is 'marketing'. imho!

they are from the same batch. that's 'matched' enough I think.

also, if you sent yours in, do you THINK you'd get a matched pair?

why would the service center get pairs and the customer cannot?

I think this whole matching this is made-up. I honestly do. I was not able to buy or even request a matching service. why sell parts that *should* be matched (in theory) and yet not really label them as a key'd matching set?

fwiw, the wait was about a month to get these. all else was in stock but the drivers for the 650 is a 4week wait. do they pull them off the production line and send them to the US? don't know. they clearly don't just pull them from 'local bins' since the other parts arrived on time and only the 650 drivers were the long wait.

Dec 17, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #36 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was waiting for someone to chime in about matching drivers
wink.gif

some people may believe it. some may care. I kind of don't believe they match and I actually don't care as much.

matching single-value parts is easy. matching things that have freq responses like mountains, nah, not sure how you can 'match' them. this driver has a slight peak over here, lets try to match that - oops, but the valley over there isn't matching this one. you see what I'm saying? matching 2 mountain ranges is 'marketing'. imho!

they are from the same batch. that's 'matched' enough I think.

also, if you sent yours in, do you THINK you'd get a matched pair?

why would the service center get pairs and the customer cannot?

I think this whole matching this is made-up. I honestly do. I was not able to buy or even request a matching service. why sell parts that *should* be matched (in theory) and yet not really label them as a key'd matching set?

fwiw, the wait was about a month to get these. all else was in stock but the drivers for the 650 is a 4week wait. do they pull them off the production line and send them to the US? don't know. they clearly don't just pull them from 'local bins' since the other parts arrived on time and only the 650 drivers were the long wait.

While, I don't disagree with what you said... since I don't have personal experience with "matched" drivers, I've heard from the "balanced headphone" guys that having "matched" drivers is very important. They say it much more noticeable when balanced, if one driver is slightly different than the other.

Dec 17, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #37 of 76
if the phones were flat (freq response wise) then I'd want to match in SPL level so that sensitivity is as close as possible. but its not just a single number, its not a scalar, its a whole graph that you'd have to 'match'. and I don't know if its cost effective for anyone to try to 'match' mountains
wink.gif

does the company specifically say its matches? does it say it includes the other 580/600 line or not? and if it does sell the 650's matched, then why aren't they allowing customers to re-buy them matched?

it would be a 'bad' story to have matched drivers ON at purchase time. see what I mean? the whole thing doesn't make sense when you look at it.

a production run is about as 'matched' as we're likely to get. I bet that's what they mean
wink.gif

Dec 18, 2008 at 9:16 AM Post #38 of 76
I guess HD600 and HD650 have structurally identical headband? How about the grill?

FWIW, the last time I compared HD600 and HD650 back to back I wouldn't call them night and day either, in fact I found them very similar with the HD600 having a tiny bit brighter and harsher treble.

Dec 18, 2008 at 1:22 PM Post #39 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Navyblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess HD600 and HD650 have structurally identical headband? How about the grill?

I think all 3 of them share the same dimensions. I'll find out about the headband when it arrives (IF it arrives; my order into sennheiser seems to have gotton delayed or lost...)

Quote:

FWIW, the last time I compared HD600 and HD650 back to back I wouldn't call them night and day either, in fact I found them very similar with the HD600 having a tiny bit brighter and harsher treble.

my 580 seems more 'present' on midrange and the 650 seems more subdued in that range. but they don't sound very different - if I want 'very different' I can put on some junky sony cans. yuk!
wink.gif
THAT is day and night (v6 from sony, which I used to love as a kid but just can't stomach that sound anymore)

Dec 20, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #40 of 76
Quote:

(v6 from sony, which I used to love as a kid but just can't stomach that sound anymore)

A couple of years ago a work colleague came to me asking for headphone recommendations, saying he wanted to find something better than the junk he'd always had. Well, I told him to go to our local hifi shop and try out some Grados and Sennheisers, and told him to take along his player and some music.

The next day he came into work all proud. Wearing V6.

D'oh!

Dec 20, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #41 of 76
my parts came today.

well, most of them.

the headband showed up and the hd600 screen grills came. but there was ONE part missing that I assumed was part of the headband assembly, the lower separate plastic trim moulding that goes around the lower rim of the driver plastic and also secures around the cord/plug area.

that part wasn't included in the headband ;( I guess I thought that those pieces would just come as part of the whole thing (I didn't need to order foam for the band, that came as part of it).

I'm trying to find out that final part # and its cost. its a little important in that it strengthens the cord/plug area. the cosmetic aspect of it doesn't bother me (not having it) - just that the plug needs a bit of strain relief and that part did help with it.

so, I'm 99% there. just can't believe I have to order yet ONE more part...

is anyone planning on making any sennheiser orders? if so, maybe I can add my single measly part to yours? I hate paying more for shipping than parts (sigh).

Dec 20, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #42 of 76
Quote:

to be honest, I'm not sure I LIKE the 650 band, now that I'm trying it ;(

like people say, it grips more snugly. maybe too much. I'm very used to the 'relaxed' 580 fit.

Quote:

I certainly don't see the REASON for why the 650 costs so much more. that baffles me (heh)
wink.gif
these seem like sister pairs, not at all a higher level and lower level but more like peers. so why does the 650 cost so much more? I don't see that; and having played around with the parts, I REALLY don't see the reason for why the 650 costs so much.

I'm starting to think its 95% marketing ;(

Dec 20, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #43 of 76
Quote:

I certainly don't see the REASON for why the 650 costs so much more. that baffles me (heh)
wink.gif
these seem like sister pairs, not at all a higher level and lower level but more like peers. so why does the 650 cost so much more? I don't see that; and having played around with the parts, I REALLY don't see the reason for why the 650 costs so much.

That was I my thought too. It could be that I am no Sennheiser expert. But I have a hard time telling them apart if I wasn't looking at their colour. And I think I can quite comfortably tell K501 from K701 apart. I prefered the HD650, but I don't see the HD650 being obviously a better headphone, when I heard the HD600 long enough the advantage that I perceive in HD650 began to disappear.

But anyway I have been looking for a a good headphone for portable use that has good isolation and a lush midrange. As far as I know there is nothing in the market that satisfies all the conditions. I am now toying the idea of making one basing on HD650 drivers. And ideally using the HD650 earpad too, but I guess it would kill the isolation.

Dec 20, 2008 at 5:44 AM Post #44 of 76
Quote:

But anyway I have been looking for a a good headphone for portable use that has good isolation and a lush midrange. As far as I know there is nothing in the market that satisfies all the conditions. I am now toying the idea of making one basing on HD650 drivers. And ideally using the HD650 earpad too, but I guess it would kill the isolation.

Sony MDR CD60.
They are great headphones for mid range. Of all the sets I have owned over the years they are some of the best I have heard for the female voice. The price is right too. They have a studio monitor sound that really appeals to people who listen to singers and not bands. I have yet to find a set of phones that really suits the music I prefer(Speedy and complex). I am not a fan of open phones. I don't even try the more expensive sets for fear that I will like them and have to spend money on a set of phones that costs more than my speakers. I guess my point is, if I want to disturb people around me I might as well listen to a set of speakers.

Dec 20, 2008 at 10:43 AM Post #45 of 76
Quote:

to be honest, I'm not sure I LIKE the 650 band, now that I'm trying it ;(

like people say, it grips more snugly.

Patience. It loosens up with time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back