Project Ember Tube Rolling
Jun 16, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #3,002 of 3,354
The Bad Boy Sylvania tube is only from 1952 and briefly in 1953. It is a black base, green label, tall glass 6SN7GT. It only has 3 hole t-plates with very shiny, polished micas. There were no 2 hole, CHS or VT-231 versions of the Bad Boy, as far as I know. You'll see all kinds of people slapping "Bad Boy" on every Sylvania tube they sell. I don't really think most sellers know what it means.

Anyway, it's a good tube, but not my favorite tube. Here's some pics of one of my pristine Bad Boys. You'll notice the vertical date code 252 on mine, from December, the last week of 1952. They all have vertical date codes as well.

Hope this helps your search.

Yes, I have a bunch of these...the tube in the picture looks like a real Bad "ass"Boy :wink:
It is not that different from the older VT231, but it gives a little bit more bass.

Jun 16, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #3,003 of 3,354
Yes, I have a bunch of these...the tube in the picture looks like a real Bad "ass"Boy :wink:
It is not that different from the older VT231, but it gives a little bit more bass.

Good to know, I can see where people find the vt231 jan-chs's as having "weak bass" my nfb10ES2 has a more powerful low end in comparison to the VT231 jan-chs gt I have, but I find the tube to have better control and overall texture compared to the more singular sound of my Solid State. Though, that's with my dynamics. My HE 4 still prefers and sounds best out of the SS

still I'd love to hear something with the same clarity but just a touch more bass... a bad boy might be worth trying

Jul 1, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #3,006 of 3,354
I shot off an email to Jeremy, and apparently they are compatible. I have some from an old amp that I am going to try why my adapter arrives. I bought it with the 6SN7 that Jeremy sells.
Don't think they are

Don't think they are compatible.

I sent and email to Jeremy and it is compatible. I have a couple from an old amp I used to use. When my adapter gets here I am going to try them.

Jul 2, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #3,008 of 3,354
I have a bunch of those in 2 rivet and 3 rivet versions. Indeed the Bad Boy is by definition the 3 rivet tube and those vendors that call the 2 rivet tube a Bad Boy are either uneducated/unaware at best and deceptive etc. at worst. The VT231 is a military part number but does not confer any special characteristic or construction on the tube despite widely held, almost religious belief, that it must count for something. BTW I think the white letter were actually light blue, not sure if that matters either.
If I was a better computer geek I would copy a picture of both the 2 rivet and Bad Boy tube from Audio Asylum tube asylum. There is an obvious difference in the wire and quantity of said wire in the Bad Boy. I hope the link will show up.
I would offer to send some GTs and Ws around but I am temporarily disabled and can't get to P.O. or shippers easily.

https://db.audioasylum.com/mhtml/m....ch.mpl?forum=tubes&searchtext=Bad+Boy+picture

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #3,009 of 3,354
I have a bunch of those in 2 rivet and 3 rivet versions. Indeed the Bad Boy is by definition the 3 rivet tube and those vendors that call the 2 rivet tube a Bad Boy are either uneducated/unaware at best and deceptive etc. at worst. The VT231 is a military part number but does not confer any special characteristic or construction on the tube despite widely held, almost religious belief, that it must count for something. BTW I think the white letter were actually light blue, not sure if that matters either.
If I was a better computer geek I would copy a picture of both the 2 rivet and Bad Boy tube from Audio Asylum tube asylum. There is an obvious difference in the wire and quantity of said wire in the Bad Boy. I hope the link will show up.
I would offer to send some GTs and Ws around but I am temporarily disabled and can't get to P.O. or shippers easily.

https://db.audioasylum.com/mhtml/m.html?forum=tubes&n=186479&highlight=Bad+Boy+picture&r=&search_url=/cgi/search.mpl?forum=tubes&searchtext=Bad+Boy+picture

great post! I like the complete tear down of each tube, makes it easy to see the real differences in construction

I have a vt231 jan-chs GT that I preffered over my 6sn7W short bottle

Jul 3, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #3,010 of 3,354
So the 6SN7 adapter from Garage 1217 can be used with a 6SL7?

Yep. I've used 6SL7s with the G1217 adapter in my Sunrise before. There are some nice-sounding NOS 6SL7s out there, but be aware the standard consumer models (not military or industrial) tend to be microphonic.

Jul 10, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #3,011 of 3,354
Woo! Great news I finally got a hold of the green label variant of the
Sylvania VT-231 Jan-Chs [black base, green 1950s label, bottom getter (visible), black T-plates, tall bottles, rectangular top and bottom micas] I've been looking for! The one guy who was selling them on eBay in pairs, finally listed a single one. I also picked up a RCA Grey Glass vt231 Jan-Chs for comparison. I need to write up my official Ember review and I since I have nothing to directly compare it to, I'm just going to present it alongside of how the tubes change the sound overall.

Still I'm excited to hear how the green label variant differs from my white, and how much I'll like the RCA Greyglass... seeing as it's like the exact opposite of have in there now

Jul 30, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #3,012 of 3,354
Last edited:
Jul 30, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #3,013 of 3,354
My salutations to all of you.... I sell my Ember v.1.2 +3 adapters+25 tubes at a good price.... all details in the selling forum... thanks

what are you upgrading to?

Jul 30, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #3,014 of 3,354
I listen way more to speakers than in the past, and i already have a Sansui AU-7700, and this week i wait for a Sansui AU-x701 alpha...
The headphone out will do the job.... I listen mostly speakers now...For people with multiple headphones , the Ember is difficult to beat, accomodating all.... I now listen only almost with the Beyerdynamic DT-150....Does not need an headphone amplifier now...

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ember-version1-2.856230/

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #3,015 of 3,354
Does anyone have experience with tubes making a short sound on a cold start in the Ember? My current tube, a cv181-z emits a sound & flashes on a cold start.
From what I understand, tube flashing isn't necessarily indicative of a problem, but due to unequal cold resistance.

However, I can't seem to find information regarding the sound I hear on a cold start. It's like a short "tshhew" sound. The tube was bought new and I've experienced this since the first time I turned it on
I've had like 1 or 2 tubes before than made the same sound, but sounded softer.
Is this simply due to something like the heater voltage adjustment, or should I be more concerned?

Edit: Never mind, I asked Jeremy from G1217 and he said that the sound is due to the inductor squealing a bit with a large inrush current - nothing to be concerned about.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back